Does Anyone here mill with an electric chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordsoll

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone here Mill with a 120v chainsaw? I'm wondering because they have lots of torque and inside a building you won't have to breath the fumes.

I have a vintage 14" portable bandsaw mill that was designed to be driven by a chainsaw, but modified to use a heavy duty 120v angle grinder. It works well. I milled several 12" x 8' black walnut, oak, and ash logs with it. You have to be patient and keep your blades sharp. I've also used a Stihl 090 with a 24" bar to mill a few logs, but I agree with other posters that it is hard on chainsaws and you would definitely want to use an overpowered chainsaw and watch out for hardware in the logs. Once I hit a gate bolt in almost the middle of a 20" log and shredded the chain. The bandsaw goes through the wood much easier with less wood lost.

Does anyone here Mill with a 120v chainsaw? I'm wondering because they have lots of torque and inside a building you won't have to breath the fumes.
Logosol sells them, but not in the USA (last I looked, cud not even get a price). It Runs a heavy 240v, about 10hp-15hp motor (from memory). This video from Sweden, home of Logosol.

That's not going to turn out well

Not too concerned, especially since you can't overheat/blow it up before it will shut itself down.

After what I've put the 540i through the last two years, I think it can make some cants, if not boards, with little issue. Just take more time and require a heavier weight on the mill-frame.

To reiterate, it's not something I plan to do regularly. For the sake of the song.

What saw for battery? A corded such as an MSE 250 is perfect for milling and has the same uses as an MS 261. It's bar ranges from 16" to 20" and I have seen people use this saw for milling.

I mill with an 066 and sometimes wish it was an 088. I could not conceive using a 261 to mill with.

Yes, I'm based in the UK and use an Oregon CS1500 corded electric chainsaw (240 volts in the UK). Started milling several years ago using the default 18" Oregon bar with PowerSharp chain. Now using a 20" Panther guidebar with Stihl 3670 000 PM3 chain. (this needs a different sprocket easily fitted to the saw). This combination gives a really smooth cut and I can handle boles up to 16" diameter. Have milled oak, ash, sweet chestnut, horse chestnut, apple and alder amongst other woods. The resulting slabs used mainly for woodturning. See my You Tube channel for more details

Hope this may be of interest
Tim

I mill with an 066 and sometimes wish it was an 088. I could not conceive using a 261 to mill with.

I have milled with a 390xp and a 372xp(XT) depending on wood size. So I do understand. I'd love to have a 100-130cc saw (ideally an older, torquey-er saw), but free time to mill and finances don't allow for upgrades right now. Hell, I'd love to have a bandsaw, trailer, and 1-ton running waste biodiesel, but I can dream forever.

Has anyone here used a chainsaw milling frame setup with a three phase electric over 5hp?
I'm very interested in building a 10hp or more for home use three phase only. If I get enough batteries in my bank next year I might consider a single phase motor for home use only. I do believe speed control will be more important compared to raw power output. Wanting a 52" band mill type of tracks chain mill portable electric three phase.

Oh btw I've been buying angle iron in 20ft lengths for setting up track in place for my 32" bandsaw in different locations. Adding a third track to do big logs up to 52" with a chain mill would be nice. Removable rail is the plan if I do a third short set.

I have; I am. I use a craftsman corded electric 110v. It's a 4hp, 18 inch bar. It works. Yes, you have to go slower, and yes the motor heats up and I stop for a bit. It makes for a nice break from the noise and exhaust of the gas powered one. Craftsman stopped making the 18" one, so now you can only get the 16, which is less HP too, so I didn't buy one. I've been hoping to buy a used 18 for a back up. I saw another brand that makes a decent 18 as well, but haven't been inspired to try it yet. The neighbors sure appreciate it as opposed to the gas one, that's for sure.

I have; I am. I use a craftsman corded electric 110v. It's a 4hp, 18 inch bar. It works. Yes, you have to go slower, and yes the motor heats up and I stop for a bit. It makes for a nice break from the noise and exhaust of the gas powered one. Craftsman stopped making the 18" one, so now you can only get the 16, which is less HP too, so I didn't buy one. I've been hoping to buy a used 18 for a back up. I saw another brand that makes a decent 18 as well, but haven't been inspired to try it yet. The neighbors sure appreciate it as opposed to the gas one, that's for sure.
4 hp, 110? Nope, not possible. 1-1.5? Yes, on a 20a circuit.

Latest posts

Back