Does anyone know what the cheapest chainsaw chaps available are ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
. AS Supporting Member.
The cheapest ones around here (securitop) are the ones that cost the most in the long term. We've tested them: walk once through the bushes and take out your (husqvarna) sewing machine... Not really long lasting...

Cedarkerf

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
. AS Supporting Member.
Labboneville inserts

Ditto,But ya gotta have the modified pants, think madsens sells the inserts for around 30 bucks. Cant guarentee they work I have not personally functional tested them. You can either modify them your self, buy madsens modified pants or order the pants you want and thell modify them for 12 bucks or so.

teatersroad

teatersroad

What's a henway?
well I just did a search and couldn't find 'em. But I thought Stihl or Oregon made some nice chaps that were just a little more than knee length. Less protection of course, but the wearer's choice.

HorseFaller

HorseFaller

ArboristSite Guru
On that note, I have just started wearing Filson Tin chaps instead of raingear. Much more comfy and they breathe WAY better. They are pretty nearly snag-proof, and keep me quite dry. I wear synthetic materials underneath, so anything that does get wet dries quickly. I doubt I'll ever go back to traditional raingear. The single layer Tin chaps are only about 70 bucks from the manufacturer.

Tin chaps? I have double tin pants that work just as well they don't stop saws just thorns.
I seem to get just as wet with regular rain gear on as I would without. Tin pants a great little heavy and a little spendy but I wouldn't wear anything else in the winter.

Last edited:
HorseFaller

HorseFaller

ArboristSite Guru
Ditto,But ya gotta have the modified pants, think madsens sells the inserts for around 30 bucks. Cant guarentee they work I have not personally functional tested them. You can either modify them your self, buy madsens modified pants or order the pants you want and thell modify them for 12 bucks or so.

This is also what I use but without the pants mod. Just cut a slit in the top of the inserts and hook it over your suspender button and they hang nicely. I am going to try the jeans from Madsen's this summer though.

AdamG

AdamG

ArboristSite Operative
What is the general opinion about these. Carhartt ® B292 Double-front Pants Washed Duck - GEMPLER'S. I'm sure they are not an equal match for chaps, but what is the general consensus on something like these? Just exploring options.
I can't seem to find any info on whether cordura is a suitable material for protection, or just a material that will aid in slowing wear.
I was actually going to start a thread in a different forum because I am neither a logger nor a "pro", but since the topic is being discussed I'll throw it in.

WadePatton

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
If it ain't kevlar, it's not going to slow a chain. that's just it.

there be no substitutes for the level of protection afforded by kevlar.

suit-of-armor-6007.jpg

unless you go medieval and sport a suit of armor and chain mail. :hmm3grin2orange:
(but methinks kevlar is cheaper)

What is the general opinion about these. Carhartt ® B292 Double-front Pants Washed Duck - GEMPLER'S. I'm sure they are not an equal match for chaps, but what is the general consensus on something like these? Just exploring options.
I can't seem to find any info on whether cordura is a suitable material for protection, or just a material that will aid in slowing wear.
I was actually going to start a thread in a different forum because I am neither a logger nor a "pro", but since the topic is being discussed I'll throw it in.

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite

FYI those have NOTHING to do with cut protection

Joe46

Joe46

ArboristSite Guru

Well the extra material will soak up more blood. Cordura is just for wear. May protect against brambles?

AdamG

AdamG

ArboristSite Operative
If it ain't kevlar, it's not going to slow a chain. that's just it.

there be no substitutes for the level of protection afforded by kevlar.
Good enough for me. Wasn't sure so i thought I'd ask.
Not only wold kevlar be cheaper, but holy hell. I'm not sure the suit of armor would bend in the right places for me to get down enough to cut a notch.

056kid

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
The cheapest and most effective chaps are the ones in your brain in my opinion. Keep that brain up to date on exactly what is going on and it will pay in dividends. .

Chaps are good, but one should never ever rely on them to keep one safe from injury and mistakes. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL

Before I got smart and purchased a good pair of chainsaw chaps, I tried to get by with a tuff pair cordura hunting chaps. The day I sliced open my left knee, the saw only tapped my leg for an instant. Tore through the chaps, a new pair of denim pants, a pair of thermal underwear, and the meat above my knee. It happened so fast, I didn't think I was injured until I pulled down my clothes, and 'Oh my God'. What an ugly mess.

Latest posts