Does Anyone Own a SOLO chainsaw or Have Opinions on Them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I rolled the dice and sprung for one of those "refurbished" SOLO 690 (90cc) chainsaws for milling purposes (lots of big red pine).

While I'm waiting for the unit I'd appreciate hearing any experiences, second-hand stories, rumors, or opinions on this brand of saw. Need not be the big 690 model, but any of them and how they shape up compared to Stihl and Husky.

I already know that this is a discontinued model, and that there aren't many SOLO dealers around, but since I usually shun dealers anyway and do my own work, I accepted that potential headache.

When I get the unit running and test it on a big jackpine log, I will post a full account of my own findings. Being a "thrifty" person and in need of a BIG saw to mill with, I couldn't pass up this "refurbed" (actually demo/used) 90cc German-made red and black bargain for $449.

It would be interesting to hear what you other guys know or think, or think you know....

Solo is a respectable name brand. My experience with them is limited to the 647 and 654 which are built on the same platform. Not super high performers but well made. I`m not sure if you got one of the 690s that I saw listed as refurbed, but the ones I saw were actually being marketed as such to go through the back door on epa regs from what I understand, FWIW. The 690 is reputed to be a very high quality saw with good power. Sounds like just the ticket for your mill.

Russ

yep my 634 is the first i pick up for quick stuff. had a bigger one ,that i adjusted too lean . it went poof. seem like well made tools .

I've got a Solo 667 "Ebay special". Taking into account it probably never saw anything close to proper maintenance and still runs well, says a lot about how well they are designed. It won't hang with a 372xp but it's a good solid 70cc saw. Eric O.

Refurbished or Just Plain Used?

Originally posted by jokers
Solo is a respectable name brand. My experience with them is limited to the 647 and 654 which are built on the same platform. Not super high performers but well made. I`m not sure if you got one of the 690s that I saw listed as refurbed, but the ones I saw were actually being marketed as such to go through the back door on epa regs from what I understand, FWIW. The 690 is reputed to be a very high quality saw with good power. Sounds like just the ticket for your mill.

Russ

Glad to hear the positive comments.

The SOLO 690 I ordered is almost certainly from the same "refurbished" bunch you mentioned and that came from an online outfit in Penn. When I spoke to the guy there he swore up and down that SOLO actually "refurbishes" the units and brings them to like new condition with a 2 year warranty.

But later I spoke to the tech guy at SOLO and he explained it a little differently. While the 2 year warranty is true, they don't actually go over the saw and replace any part that looks scratched etc. What he said they do is check the compression and tune the carb -- that's it. They don't even change the plug if it runs and tunes okay. They are most likely demo saws used at trade shows, etc. They do come with a new bar and chain.

i owned a Solo piece of junk!

i bought a solo 656 and it worked 6 times, i smashed it, smashed it into an oblivion, if you want picks of this cheap piece nof german made crap let me know! this was my third, the first one lasted a week before they replaced it, the second i still nhave but its junk and only works when it wants to. the third i SMASHED it!!! smashed it real good, worth 800 dollars to!! but i rather smash it then give those germans another nickel for junk!!!!! don't buy one and tell all your friends, there service sucks real bad too!!! real sticklers for anything, their machines can't even cut friggin wood!!!! don't buy it!!!!!! you'll have so much wasted time, all i wanted to do today was cut 5 logs!!! thats it! and they are still sitting there, and i have a smashed chainsaw, will send pics ...looks good on therm!!!!

I rolled the dice and sprung for one of those "refurbished" SOLO 690 (90cc) chainsaws for milling purposes (lots of big red pine).

While I'm waiting for the unit I'd appreciate hearing any experiences, second-hand stories, rumors, or opinions on this brand of saw. Need not be the big 690 model, but any of them and how they shape up compared to Stihl and Husky.

I already know that this is a discontinued model, and that there aren't many SOLO dealers around, but since I usually shun dealers anyway and do my own work, I accepted that potential headache.

When I get the unit running and test it on a big jackpine log, I will post a full account of my own findings. Being a "thrifty" person and in need of a BIG saw to mill with, I couldn't pass up this "refurbed" (actually demo/used) 90cc German-made red and black bargain for $449.

It would be interesting to hear what you other guys know or think, or think you know....

i bought a solo 656 and it worked 6 times, i smashed it, smashed it into an oblivion, if you want picks of this cheap piece nof german made crap let me know! this was my third, the first one lasted a week before they replaced it, the second i still nhave but its junk and only works when it wants to. the third i SMASHED it!!! smashed it real good, worth 800 dollars to!! but i rather smash it then give those germans another nickel for junk!!!!! don't buy one and tell all your friends, there service sucks real bad too!!! real sticklers for anything, their machines can't even cut friggin wood!!!! don't buy it!!!!!! you'll have so much wasted time, all i wanted to do today was cut 5 logs!!! thats it! and they are still sitting there, and i have a smashed chainsaw, will send pics ...looks good on therm!!!!

Damn, that's one way to resurrect an 8 year old thread. I think you should probably use more exclamation points next time.

Damn, that's one way to resurrect an 8 year old thread. I think you should probably use more exclamation points next time.

Some capitalization, proper punctuation, sentence structure and utilization of a spell checker would probably make it understandable. My head spins when I see gibberish like this and I do not subject my brain to the task of trying to make any sense out of it.

Shame. It was probably a good saw untill he got a hold of it. He probably doesn't know it needs premix. Straight gas and no maintenance tend to give those results.

Some capitalization, proper punctuation, sentence structure and utilization of a spell checker would probably make it understandable. My head spins when I see gibberish like this and I do not subject my brain to the task of trying to make any sense out of it.
In this case, I don't think it would have been a help. There wasn't actually any sense to be made out of it.

Latest posts

Back