Does anyone sell bulk firewood by the piece?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone sells firewood by the piece. I have a few customers that are smart and buy their wood in the spring. I sell in all different quantities from 1/8cord, 1/6 cord,1/3, 1/2and full cords. For unseasoned wood that was just cut this past winter I was thinking of leaving it in a pile and just selling that to the early customers that pick up their own. I get an average of 675 pieces in a full cord. I could sell the bulk stuff for 30 cents a piece which works out to $202.50 per cord which is what I get anyway for picked up wood. I'm thinking it would work well for anyone that picks up a trunk load or dump truck load or anything in between. Below are some pics of some of the stacked stuff that I well sell this fall and a pic of loose redoak just thrown on pallets.

StackedFirewood.jpg

BulkFirewood.jpg

I can't answer your question, but very nice and neat wood stacks! I'd rep ya, but gotta spread the rep around first.

Kevin

I'd like to know where you get wood that is that straight, no knarly stuff and when split all the splits are uniform! :)

Looks great!

Shari

That is an awesome stacking job! My hat's off to ya. Do you measure length with a micrometer? :dizzy: Nice uniform sizes, too.

Michael,

Very nice work. How much wood are you averaging/pallet? How long does it take to stack each pallet. To be able to shrink wrap the skid and load on a customers vehicle would be great too. Anything we can do lower the manpower required process a cord is $$$ back in our corner.

Moving the skid loaded with wood has got to be a challenge or is this just the drying area?

To answer a couple questions. Yes I do measure everything to length. I have a mingo marker but really use a 25' tape and my kids sidewalk chalk more. I get poles from jobs I work on and am fortunate to be able to take the nicest and straightest for my self and I sell the other poles. I really like red oak and thats mostly what I try to get. It cuts nice, splits great, and is a great burner. I sell to all sorts of people but mostly to occasional burners that may only buy a 1/3 of a cord. They seem to like everything being the same length and nice wood.

I am very anal about my stacks,probably to much but It also makes for good advertising when people come to get their wood or when I take pictures for ads. It's easy to tell it's not a bunch of twisted up narly stuff.

I have a yard near my house (Where the wood is) it's about 150 yards from the house with a good road into it. I very seldom if ever spend an entire day on firewood. Mostly an hour here or 2 hours there. I can't spend an entire day. I get bored and my back will start hurting. But I can really give her hell for those couple hours. I work hard and fast. Many times when I'm working up red oak I don't even fire up the splitter. I will just split by hand. I can be wicked fast for those two hours:D But then I will move onto another project.

I also never work firewood in the mud. Snow all the time and doesnt matter how cold it is but I hate dirty wood. I found that I get way more done in good conditions and better all around results and less aggrevation.

The key is to having a place on my own property. If I had to drive to get wood it wouldn't be much fun.

Sounds like you have some firewood customers who will take small quantities. I think by the piece sounds like a great idea , then your customers can get any quantity without worring if they got there 1/3 cord or whatever. Good luck with it. doug

Latest posts

Back