does everybody use new gaskets ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molecule

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
are new crankcase-cylinder head gaskets a necessity for a rebuild?

what about the carb end ... reused gaskets have seemed to work for me so far, as long as the gasket was not damaged during disassembly, and it was replaced in exactly the same manner.

if a gasket does come off clean (no surface tears or surface breaks or breakdown of the fabric-as by bending) is there a good way to restore a used gasket in good condition prior to reapplication? (would save a weeks time in some cases on a rebuild)

if they can be saved, any tricks to removing a gasket so that it comes off clean?

I always use new. No exceptions. For the cost of them, why jeoprodise a good repair or rebuild with an old gasket?

I don't always use a new gasket. It depends how much I have in the project, if I am pulling a cylinder to free a stuck ring and the gasket looks good I reuse it. If your replacing a cylinder and piston, well what's a two bit gasket compared to the rest of the parts. It depends on what you thing you can get away with. I like to use permatexs Hylomar on old gaskets. As far as removing? Well it's probably where it needs to be! Razor blade scraper does work if someone hasn't previosly removed a gasket with a cold chiesel.

i agree with toneman, why would you risk leaks and other problems associated with reusing old gaskets. they only cost a couple dollars each.

I ordered one with my parts for my Dolmar, I aint taking no chances with the old gasket. would you like to pay for another new piston and possibly cylinder for a saw you JUST rebuilt with new ones? I sure as heck dont want to do that. Theres no sense in using an old gasket when you're replacing the other parts, its cheap insurance against an air leak there.

It depends on the saw,in question.On the Stihl's,I use new gaskets,because you just simply order them from the dealer.The Macs and Homey,I have reused them and also made new ones,which is not a big deal to do.You need a small ball peen hammer[ I have a 4 ounce one] ,and a sharp knife,and of course ,gasket material.I have even made carb gaskets,but not for a saw.

When I put a new top -end on my Makita DCS-520i I was lucky to find the piston and cylinder on e-bay I couldn't get my hands on new gaskets so I re-used the old ones, no problems. I have had the hardest time getting Dolmar/Makita parts but now that TonyM is a dealer I'll try him next time I need something.

Is that why you have so many children Fish?

new vs old gaskets..hmm I don't think I have ever been involved in this debate..if it is a customers saw, I won't run the risk of old gaskets, nor the wasted time on a second re and re...however if it is mine, and there are no new ones handy, I will grab a used one and throw it in...with exception to a crankcase gasket...never been able to keep them together when the case comes apart.

I take a good look at it if it is fine and still have the qualities it was made for, I place a film of "Form a gasket" and in it goes.
But I am very critical when looking at it, the gasket on tube is as extra insurance.
For the crankcase I always use liquid gaskets.

crankcase gasket is where I'm held up right now ... but I've been waiting a week for a new one to arrive (meanwhile I'm looking at the old one, which came off just flawless) ... the new one arrives today ... so at last!

Mange -- not to show my ignorance, but here come the questions ... what is Form a gasket? I've never been able to get the orange liquid gasket stuff to work on a car oil pan before. Is that the same as "gasket on tube"? exactly what is "liquid gaskets" and do you use that, in addition to (and on both sides of-?) the regular "paper-?" gasket?

I couldn't be rebuilding this saw without help from all of you ... so thanks.

Molecule said:
crankcase gasket is where I'm held up right now ... but I've been waiting a week for a new one to arrive (meanwhile I'm looking at the old one, which came off just flawless) ... the new one arrives today ... so at last!

Mange -- not to show my ignorance, but here come the questions ... what is Form a gasket? I've never been able to get the orange liquid gasket stuff to work on a car oil pan before. Is that the same as "gasket on tube"? exactly what is "liquid gaskets" and do you use that, in addition to (and on both sides of-?) the regular "paper-?" gasket?

I couldn't be rebuilding this saw without help from all of you ... so thanks.

Form a gasket is the same as Loctite nr 5923 (166569, but another/ older brand. And I put it on both sides, so there gets to be a new surface on all places.
I use this if i have no or if the gasket is bad. The silicone on tube i use when I think it is needed to be a bit softer gasket.
there is different for different quality's. I have a kind of paste to spread out and cut when it is half dry, after it is completely dry it is as hard as Eternit (Do not know the Eng. term).

The silicone based I do not use much, but the others I do.
There is a bit special ways to pot silicone on, it must be very clean, and not too cold, and this does not and should not stick to the metals, there is others for that.

I must say it is hard for me to explain in Swedish so ...............
I hope it helped.

What Marco said...

With the addition that many times for older saws its next to impossible to buy a new gasket. Many times I'm forced with the reality of "make do with what I have". It may be a little time consuming to cut a new gasket, but many times this is the only choice. If you're working with newer saws though and new gaskets are readily available and reasonably priced, use you judgment. If you're really concerned about how good they seal, perform a pressure/vacuum test after assembly.

Dan

Latest posts

Back