Does it matter which way the wood goes in ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On the surface this sounds kinda like a dumb question. However if you think about it, it is interesting. Basically this is for a draft forced air system, my air comes under a grate and up to the front of the stove and then back. Right now the wood is thrown in straight back. Assuming the firebox size permits, would stacking it crossways make a difference ?

For those w/ a Shaver 165, your grate can be turned crossways or lengthwise. I've tried it both ways.

:confused:
:cheers:

The best way to know is to try it and see if it makes a difference for you.

There will be plenty that say it makes no difference but you have to wonder if they have gone to the trouble to find out for themselves or just repeat what they have heard.

Truth be known, I stand the wood on end in my stove and have used about a half cord of wood this season. How the wood goes in and where you start the burn from does make a difference in how often and how much you are loading the heater.

Last edited:
I don't have the same model or brand as you do, but it does make a difference in my stove. If I throw it in straight back it works better as my air can flow more between the wood, if I throw it in and stack it crossways the air will hit the first log and not make its way nicely around it for the rest....depends on where your airflow is in your stove...

I've been messing around with the loading of my Shaver 290. I think the grate is the same as the 165, but with more space behind it to the back. I'm burning very green wood right now, and have found if I rake my coals forward over the grate, and stack the wood on top of it, it burns through it rather quickly. So, I still rake the coals forward, but try to evenly displace wood front and back, so the wood in the back will last much longer and I still have chunks to pull forward upon reload. the forced draft is great, because you can burn anything you can stuff in there. Wet wood will steam quite a bit when the fan is going, so it's not real pretty, but it does get the job done.

Last months Mother Earth News(I believe issue #230) addressed this. It had a lot of info and had some ideas you(at least I )never thought about.

My air damper is at the top of the fire box. If I want a long slow burn, I pull all the embers forward so the air gets to them, and load the back of the box as tight as possible.

Latest posts

Back