Does model MS261C have m-tronic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4lane

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used MS261C. How can I tell if it has M-Tronic or not? I saw somewhere that the 'C' designation means it has m-tronic, but I've also seen where there was a 'C' model and a more expensive 'C-M' model. Can anyone help to clarify or let me know how I can physically tell if it has M-Tronic?

I see it does have a single position switch, instead of the normal two. Could this be the key to knowing it's an m-tronic? Thanks!

It will have only 3 positions on the switch (triangle, slash, circle) and no holes on the clutch side of the carb housing to adjust a carb. Sounds like you are looking at an m-tronic.

It will have only 3 positions on the switch (triangle, slash, circle) and no holes on the clutch side of the carb housing to adjust a carb. Sounds like you are looking at an m-tronic.

I'm actually looking at two 261C's. One I see does have the carb adjustment holes, the other one does not. Although, looking at the Stihl site the new 261 doesn't have carb adjustment holes either. Here are the two I'm looking at:

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 32
I'm actually looking at two 261C's. One I see does have the carb adjustment holes, the other one does not. Although, looking at the Stihl site the new 261 doesn't have carb adjustment holes either. Here are the two I'm looking at:

Adjustment screws: traditional carburetor.
No adjustment screws: M-Tronic.
That's as easy as that.

The letters behind the model mean:

C : extra features (used in connection with one or more of the following)
B : tool-less chain adjuster
M : M-Tronic
E: ErgoStart
Q: QuickStop additional chain brake
VW: heated handle (replace the old Artic designation)

To give an example the plain old boring MS231 I have is just that, an MS231, while the model with ErgoStart and tool-less chain adjuster (that would be an extra €130, thank you) is an MS 231C-BE.

The R letter indicating wraparound handles is usually used alone (as in the MS461R) or before the letter C (as in the MS362RC-M).

Hope this helped clear things out.

Adjustment screws: traditional carburetor.
No adjustment screws: M-Tronic.
That's as easy as that.

The letters behind the model mean:

C : extra features (used in connection with one or more of the following)
B : tool-less chain adjuster
M : M-Tronic
E: ErgoStart
Q: QuickStop additional chain brake
VW: heated handle (replace the old Artic designation)

To give an example the plain old boring MS231 I have is just that, an MS231, while the model with ErgoStart and tool-less chain adjuster (that would be an extra €130, thank you) is an MS 231C-BE.

The R letter indicating wraparound handles is usually used alone (as in the MS461R) or before the letter C (as in the MS362RC-M).

Hope this helped clear things out.

Yes, understood, but the machine I'm looking at is ONLY designated as a 261C (not 261 C-M). Also, I'm not seeing any adjustment screws on the 261 from the StihlUSA site, so that's confusing as well.

Yes, understood, but the machine I'm looking at is ONLY designated as a 261C (not 261 C-M). Also, I'm not seeing any adjustment screws on the 261 from the StihlUSA site, so that's confusing as well.

Stihl never designated any model as "MS261C". That's what is written on the cardboard box the saw comes in: as there are several options available (MS261C-M, MS261C-BM, MS261C-MQ etc) Stihl just stamps the cardboard box "MS261/261C". Hell, they often use the same cardboard box for several different model. See this ad for an MS271: https://www.ebay.it/itm/STIHL-MS-27...m=372091559697&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Regarding the lack of adjustment screws: Stihl just used the same picture as per the M-Tronic MS261C-M. In real life the regular MS261 Mk2 would look like this:

Difference with the previous model are the new "Star Wars" sprocket cover, different spike attachment and a new cylinder.

Stihl never designated any model as "MS261C". That's what is written on the cardboard box the saw comes in: as there are several options available (MS261C-M, MS261C-BM, MS261C-MQ etc) Stihl just stamps the cardboard box "MS261/261C". Hell, they often use the same cardboard box for several different model.

By 'designated' I mean, 261C is the model number on the side of the machine, not 261C-M.

Great info here!
I run a 261C-Q with an adjustable carb. First edition 261, I think. It's a personal favorite.
What's the difference in the new cylinder? Piston remains the same?

I don't believe any stihls have a designation beyond the C on the saw. My 261C-M and 201tc-m do not say M on them anywhere. You just have to look for the carb ajustments and switch controller.

Great info here!
I run a 261C-Q with an adjustable carb. First edition 261, I think. It's a personal favorite.

Haha, you've just proved everyone above, wrong. You have a 261C with adjustable (non M-Tronic) carb?!

The C just means comfort feature, meaning it has an option that conquistador3 listed above. You could have an MS261C with a standard carb and heated handles, the heated handles being the extra feature over just a standard saw.

The differences you need to look for are no carb tuning holes, as mentioned, and look at the master switch. If it has the regular 4 positions then it's a standard carb.

4Lane when you purchase the ms 261 make sure it is the 2016 model or newer. They are lighter weight and have more H.P. than the previous model. I just bought a ms 261 non-mtronic could not be happier more power than my husky 545 or my echo cs 520. There are a couple of Stihl dealers in my area that are trying to (old stock) sell 2015 models for the 2018 price. Beware

By 'designated' I mean, 261C is the model number on the side of the machine, not 261C-M.

If it has MS261C on the starter cover it means it has some extra: M-Tronic (MS261C-M), Quickstop (MS261C-Q/-MQ), whatever.
This is how the ordinary (non options/extras) saw looks like on that side:

m-ms261vw-t003.jpg

Haha, you've just proved everyone above, wrong. You have a 261C with adjustable (non M-Tronic) carb?!

Well, I take you haven't read what I posted above then. MS261C-Q means an MS261 equipped with the Quickstop additional chain brake. The original, ordinary carburetor series was available with that option.

Great info here!

I don't believe any stihls have a designation beyond the C on the saw. My 261C-M and 201tc-m do not say M on them anywhere. You just have to look for the carb ajustments and switch controller.

The new cylinder is a tad lighter and, according to Stihl, should slightly improve cooling. Piston is the same as the previous model and I think rings haven't changed since the MS260.

4Lane when you purchase the ms 261 make sure it is the 2016 model or newer. They are lighter weight and have more H.P. than the previous model. I just bought a ms 261 non-mtronic could not be happier more power than my husky 545 or my echo cs 520. There are a couple of Stihl dealers in my area that are trying to (old stock) sell 2015 models for the 2018 price. Beware

Thanks for the insight. Is 2014 the first year the 261 came out? Do you know the differences between the years?

Thanks for the insight. Is 2014 the first year the 261 came out? Do you know the differences between the years?

Actually I did find this for the 2014 model. I guess the next question is how you can tell what year it's from?

2014 Specs:
  • Displacement: 50.5 cc (3.08 cu. in.)
  • Engine Power: 2.8 kW (3.75 hp)
  • Powerhead Weight: 5.2 kg (11.6 lb.)
2017 Specs:
  • DISPLACEMENT 50.2 cc (3.06 cu. in.)
  • ENGINE POWER 3.0 kW (4.0 bhp)
  • POWERHEAD WEIGHT 4.9 kg (10.8 Ibs.)

I’m going thru identifying a 261c right now in order to buy the correct handle/tank assembly. I see some for sale indicating they will fit a 261/71/91. Can anyone confirm that it is the same part? My serial number is 507338913.

Thank you

The tank assembly with back handle for your saw is 1141 350 0824. It is also used on the MS 271, 291, depending on the exact version of the saw.

Thank you. Just ordered it off eBay as well as the ignition coil wiring harness as the two wires that come into the carb area (and join to the carb servo harness) were clipped in an accident before I acquired the saw.

Latest posts

Back