Does no one know how to work a wheelbarrow now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes...that Dad guy someone else mentioned found an old metal one (including the wheel) at a VFW...turned a couple 3" handles out of some 4x4 #1 larch, and put me to work...I'll never understand why the handles had to be 3" dia??

that said, I prefer one wheel in only a few situations...chicken dancing competitions come to mind :msp_wink:

cheers!
I have never heard of 3" diameter handles on a wheelbarrow that is supposed to be operated by a man. Mine are about 1.6" dia. and I can palm a basketball. Take it from there.

Miller Wheelbarrows

Double wheel barrows (frequently with ginormous plastic trays; 8 cu ft, 10 cu ft) are good for homeowners packing around light bulky stuff; leaves, grass clippings, etc. The double wheels hold the axle in single shear, so if you load them halfway as heavy as a "normal" single wheel barrow, the axle bends (no support on the outside end of the axle). Perhaps install a slightly larger tire inside between the two handles, so the center tire takes all the load and the outer wheels are like training wheels on a bike (kidding). Also, double wheel barrows don't "pivot" to steer, so they've actualy got like a turning radius. Plus, what everybody else said about having to dodge twice as many obstacles, and fight them when running cross slope, etc.

I like the wheelbarrow dscribed in the link above. 5 cu ft try, heavy as can be, and well braced with no end thing sticking out the front to get hung up on stuff as you wheel it around on tough ground. The fact that the leg braces are bolted instead of just little slot and tab things makes it worth it to me. I'd prefer wooden handles, but what the heck.

I also dislike solid ruber tires, "Flat-Pruf" or whatever they call them. If pushing a lot of weight, the soild tires sink in softer ground worse than a pneumatic tire. If flats become a problem, a small boat trailer tire (4.80-800 I think) will mount on a wheelbarrow rim.

Make sure you keep the bearings maintained and greased.

I never knew there were people that didn't know how to run a wheelbarrow. Never even thought of them as contraptions needing some special knowledge. The boy has been hauling rocks and dirt in his minibarrow for 4 years. He's 7 now.

That said, never handled the 2-wheeler model. Suspect it wouldn't have the weave needed in getting wood from pile to the barn. It's the barn part that's stickey. Over the rampsill, weaving away from the snowblower, squeezing betwixt the kindling stump and the unstacked polymorph piles of September to ferry in the good wood of Dec-Feb to the deep barn stackplace. That's a 1-wheeler job for nimbleness.

Times and us change: the fat tire, heavy, tippy , awkward "wheelbarrow" has gone the way of buggy whips FOR CARRYING MOST DEBRIS except cement.
Over the past decades for household ( NOT construction ) use, the well engineered, two wheel "Garden Cart" many versions including Vermont, Garden Way has carried wood mowings, gravel, loam, and dead animals without balance problems. :clap: Yes, you Luddites of wheelbarrow delight, I may not 'know how'. Butt we've gone through 4 of these exceptional carts through the years. It's used mostly to move firewood from stacks to house, and from splitters to storage.

I lov 'em....like Flippy Caps, Pferd sharpening systems, Laohroaig, and silicone.

Once you've tried the 2 wheel wonders, you WILL never use one of those 3 Stooges barrows again. I'm telling you.:rock:

I just bought a Jackson pro wheelbarrow at Home Depot today $100.

Thanks to this thread I bought the one Without the flatfree tire.

Seems well made the tire is knobby and has a tube.

I have one of each--- 10 CF 2 wheeler & 6 CF one wheeler... Each have their strengths & weaknesses. From my experience, same story on tub material... steel rusts out over time, but poly tub barrows flex & are squirrely , until you tack-weld all of the undercarriage components together.

Ive used both, and unless you are in some really tight areas or uneven ground (not the best place for a wheelbarrow to begin with) then the two wheeled unit is far superior. Its obviously not going to handle like a single wheeled unit, but then again it wasnt designed to.

Sometimes the user has to adjust technique a little when changing tools :dizzy:

As a side note, does anyone else have one of the blue Jacksons. I hate the no flat tire. Everytime I weigh it down heavy the tire does not roll nearly as nice as one with air. :taped:

I just bought one a couple of months ago, had to retire my 25 yr. old True Temper, the Jackson I got does not have the run flat, dam nice 'barrow, $135.

I don't have one. I have done what we learned in Forest Engineering. My transportation route was planned and improved so I can get my wood--from shed to house with a 4 wheeled wagon. Because our roads must be used in all weather, I even rocked it in problem spots. When the snow gets too deep, out comes the sled. Or I just hoof it and carry a few armloads because exercise is a good thing. :smile2:

I was up at Lowe's last monday and I saw that they had single wheel wheel barrows in 6ft, 8ft, and even 10ft. They also had the 2-wheel wheel barrows too in all the same sizes. I would check Lowe's out if I was you.

Just some help,

Shane

Saw a three wheeled one at a local fleet store......next time I'm there I'll snap a pic. One wheel in front and two smaller ones in back. Could be used as a cart.

Took me long enough to get this pic! LoL! It was still at the store and I had my phone.
DSC00035.jpg

wheelbarrows

Single large tubed front wheel and good quality will last a lifetime if you remember to always store it under cover or stand it up so the water does not sit in it.
In a past life I was a readymix driver and I went to a job and the guy had a brand new barrow his wife had bought from the local hardware store. I took one look and it looked chinese, light construction. I asked if he thought it would be ok as I had doubts. He said fill her up mate, So I did and he gave a big heave on the handles and the barrow stayed on the ground but the handles lifted . Boy did he give his wife an earfull as he had 4 metres of concrete to move. His mates ripped into him about it. they had good barrows

Over here a lot of the concrete boys have plastic bowls, quite thick and they give them a hard time and seem to take it real good [And they can have them fitted with brakes for going downhill]

NZ Wheelbarrows - Tradesman Wheelbarrow Features

Rule of thumb says 20 barrows to a metre, thats 2000kg, so each barrow is about 220 lb wieght, loaded, and they do this all day

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back