Does Stihl=Ford and Husky=Chevy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably your dad had a good maintenance program

So then why does the old 1979 ford truck my dad used to have have over 200k on it with the only major component ever being replaced was the rear axle when the truck only had 10k on it? It still has the original clutch for god sake. And it didn't lead a life of pleasure. Dad had a 89 chevy and it always had something wrong with it.

I bought a 83 blazer that has sat for 6 years. Put a battery in it and started it. 6 YEAR OLD GAS AND IT STARTED ON IT!!!!! It also had 180k on it before the motor clunked.

I duno what my point is. I suppose I will give you that the drive trains last longer in new vehicles but the body sure doesn't. Neither will all the electrical junk on them.

And will probably go a long ways no matter what the brand, Trucks or saws,,,

BTW how did we get the gun thing going here????

I'm not brand loyal at all:
A 1996 Jeep for crawlin
A 2001 Dodge Caravan for my wife and kids and dog
A 2001 Crew Cab F250 4x4 for hauling my wife, kids, dog and cord of wood
Ruger and S&W handguns, Winchester and Mauser rifles, Browning shotguns
Stihl, Husky, Echo, Poulon, I gottem

I had a 70 Dodge W200 for years. I finally sold it and bought the Ford because my needs changed. I got tired of having to work on the Dodge. It also only held one or two passengers. I built that Dodge from three different trucks on the cheap because I didn't have any money to spend, it hauled a lot of wood for me.
Brad

Chowdozer,typically 150,250,350 and light and heavy duty variations of all.Generally,a higher number of wheel studs also means you have stronger/larger axles,hubs,brakes diff's etc.

I'm aware of the differences between 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons and such.

To illustrate the point I was trying to make on my previous post, let me explain.

For years GM has put 6 lug wheels on 1/2 tons and 8 lug wheels on 3/4 tons.

Ford has put 5 lug wheels on 1/2 tons and 8 lug wheels on 3/4 tons.

Dodge has done the same.

In the late 60's, early 70's, GM went to 5 lug wheels on 2wd 1/2 tons and kept the 6 lug wheels on 4 wd 1/2 tons. 8 lugs were still on the 3/4 tons.

Ford and Dodge stayed the same.

In the early 90's, GM began using 6 lug wheels on their "light duty" 3/4 ton. This was basically the same truck as the older "heavy duty" 1/2 ton.

At that point Ford and Dodge were the same as they'd always been.

In the mid to late 90's with the new F150 body that looked like it was poured in a chocolate factory, Ford came out with the 7 lug wheel for the "light duty" F250. 7 LUG??? Ever try to buy a 7 lug wheel? Even tire stores will laugh at you. So, how much weight did Ford save with a 7 lug wheel over an 8? A couple ounces or any at all? Seems like it was an effort to A) decrease cross platform interchangability or B) one-up GM and Dodge with the idea that a 7 lug wheel is stronger than a 5 or 6 lug wheel. Now, before we go any further, lets understand that on GM trucks maybe Dodge too I don't know, the wheels are hubcentric. The hub carries the load, not the wheel studs. You guys with aftermarket wheels that haul heavy loads may want to check your wheels. This is the reason you don't put Dodge or Ford 8 lug wheels on a GM. The center hole is too big and the lug nuts/studs have to take the load. It's a good way to crack the area around the lug nuts.

Ok, now in the last year or so, Ford has changed to 6 lug wheels on the F150 and Expedition. There weren't any reports of wheels breaking, so Ford just decided it was time to change the wheel? Seems like Ford makes a lot of bad engineering decisions to me. Let's talk about the Triton pickup engine too. ;) Or the V10. ;) Ford dumped the three best engines they had, the 300, 302 and 460. :bang:

2 Husky, 1jonsered,1 stihl , 1 clinton, 1makita 7311 cement saw;
Chevy 1/2 ton dodge omni:rock: does a broke down suzuki enduro dirtbike count for anything?

2 Stihls, 1 Poulan, 2 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 1 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4, 1 Chevy car, 2 Oldsmobiles (67 Cutlass's) 1 buick...........so, I guess I'd say around my place, the GM's and the Stihls out number the rest (a couple of fords and dodges in the junk pile)

Husky Question

Why did Husqvarna stop fabricating automatics ? The Husqvarna 9mm is a dead copy of the WWII standard sidearm Luger. Or, did 'they' buy the design from the neutral Swedes ? Curious minds need to know :cheers: . Goofy, huh ?:dizzy:
No politics, pleeeese:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Doesn't work for me.
I am a Chevy guy who owns Stihl power equipment.

To illustrate the point I was trying to make on my previous post, let me explain.

Dodge has done the same.

In the late 60's, early 70's, GM went to 5 lug wheels on 2wd 1/2 tons and kept the 6 lug wheels on 4 wd 1/2 tons. 8 lugs were still on the 3/4 tons.

In the early 90's, GM began using 6 lug wheels on their "light duty" 3/4 ton. This was basically the same truck as the older "heavy duty" 1/2 ton.

In the mid to late 90's with the new F150 body that looked like it was poured in a chocolate factory, Ford came out with the 7 lug wheel for the "light duty" F250. 7 LUG??? Ever try to buy a 7 lug wheel? Even tire stores will laugh at you. So, how much weight did Ford save with a 7 lug wheel over an 8? A couple ounces or any at all? Seems like it was an effort to A) decrease cross platform interchangability or B) one-up GM and Dodge with the idea that a 7 lug wheel is stronger than a 5 or 6 lug wheel. Now, before we go any further, lets understand that on GM trucks maybe Dodge too I don't know, the wheels are hubcentric. The hub carries the load, not the wheel studs. You guys with aftermarket wheels that haul heavy loads may want to check your wheels. This is the reason you don't put Dodge or Ford 8 lug wheels on a GM. The center hole is too big and the lug nuts/studs have to take the load. It's a good way to crack the area around the lug nuts.

Ok, now in the last year or so, Ford has changed to 6 lug wheels on the F150 and Expedition. There weren't any reports of wheels breaking, so Ford just decided it was time to change the wheel? Seems like Ford makes a lot of bad engineering decisions to me. Let's talk about the Triton pickup engine too. ;) Or the V10. ;) Ford dumped the three best engines they had, the 300, 302 and 460. :bang:

I worked in auto parts for several years and my uncle who works for Ford confirmed the rumors I had heard about the 300 and 460 (not sure on the 302) that they they could not meet emissions standards nor did Ford have enough credits to keep them in the lineup any longer.

Chevy, Dodge, Stihl.

1/2 ton Chevy, 1/2 ton Dodge, 1 ton Dodge. No fords.
3 Stihls........

Buddy of mine has a bunch of Stihl, and prefers the Fords.
Another cutter from the past drove a chevy, and used a Husky....
Run what ya brung. Drive it like ya stole it.

The chevy was "low cost" and is reliable. I prefer not to use Fords, Maybe I worked on too many of them over the years.

-Pat

I am not trying to start a problem [i.e. which is better (that is already clear)] but I have begun to notice around me that people who use Stihl saws also usually drive Ford trucks, and that Husky people drive Chevy. I am just wondering is this an anomaly from my small sample or is there something going on here?

For the record I drive an 82 Chevy and run Huskys and Jonsereds

hmm.

I think your answer is no.

I think your answer is no.

I second that.

Drive Chevy, primarily run/own Stihl power equipment(must be my German heritage), w/few Huskys mixed in for flavor. Most tree crews I worked with(when I did that daily) carried almost exclusively Stihl, but drove everything under the sun. It's funny to observe trends though. Where I live/work now 'bout five years ago all the jobbers were running Huskys(primarily 371/372/365) and driving Dodge 3/4 & 1 tons. Now I see alot 460s & 660s riding in the back of Super Dutys and K2500s, almost no one drives a Dodge Ram 'round here anymore since they started consuming their trannys every 50K. My issued work truck has eaten two in 98K. Shame, Dodge used to make a tough truck, not pretty or comfortable, but tough.

Now guns, Winchester, Remington, Springfield Armory, T/C, Sig Sauer, Glock, Stevens, TRW, IH, Fox, Ithaca, Marlin, Browning, ETC.....(I think I need another page):D

Maybe so, I would compare a Husky more to the GM family. Because of all the different divisions they have. Also more parts can be interchanged then the other manufactures saws can, Not to mention color choice.

Stihl is more like Henry Ford they sell more "classic saws" ie 260.
One color scheme like the model T
Try to keep parts in house only
don't like to release any info.

:blob2: :blob2: That's about as logic as this tread will ever get........:bang: :bang: :D

Dodge has done the same.

Well then chowdozer,the only logical conclusion one could draw from this is that Ford drivers are much more "studly" than their lesser equipped counterparts.Especially if they drive 96 F150's with the 300 and run Jonsereds:laugh:

Well then chowdozer,the only logical conclusion one could draw from this is that Ford drivers are much more "studly" than their lesser equipped counterparts.Especially if they drive 96 F150's with the 300 and run Jonsereds:laugh:

Nope, 95 F-150 with the 5.0.:D

Back