Does this wood look seasoned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wagsgt

wagsgt

ArboristSite Lurker
Hello all,
Recently moved and now have our first wood fireplace. Got a Cord of mixed hardwood on a recommendation from a neighbor. The guy said its seasoned and ready to burn, but other than internet searches I have no way to verify. So I figured maybe someone could take a look and possibly tell? Thanks in advance

20150107_185725.jpg 20150108_072945.jpg 20150108_072934.jpg

Wannabe123

Wannabe123

ArboristSite Operative
Well if you squeeze it and watery sap pours out like it's a sponge, no dice. For seasoning, many here will recommend a number of things, but I find that using Season-all or Mrs. Dash covers your bases pretty well. Much like "one blend fits all" 2cycle oil, it's fine for light use that homeowners will encounter. Leave custom blends for the pro's who can justify the expense. One bottle of thyme alone can cost as much as a pound of Mrs. Dash.

Griff93

Griff93

ArboristSite Operative
You really need a moisture meter to be able to tell for sure. My wood never gets that grey color to it because it's stored inside. It still looks green after a year but has a ~15% moisture content when checked with a meter.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
You're in the process of learning that hardly anyone has seasoned firewood this time of year.

Stack it, cover it and burn it next year.

There is not enough profit in the firewood business for sellers to woodshed the wood they sell. In most parts of the country if rain is not kept off of firewood it does not dry enough to be called 'seasoned'.

Wannabe123

Wannabe123

ArboristSite Operative
You're in the process of learning that hardly anyone has seasoned firewood this time of year.

Stack it, cover it and burn it next year.

There is not enough profit in the firewood business for sellers to woodshed the wood they sell. In most parts of the country if rain is not kept off of firewood it does not dry enough to be called 'seasoned'.

I found that "seasoned" coming from a seller was generally an excuse to charge an extra 50-100 a cord (depending on the guy) for wood and nothing more. Buy it "green" and follow the above advice, save some money.

lone wolf
I found that "seasoned" coming from a seller was generally an excuse to charge an extra 50-100 a cord (depending on the guy) for wood and nothing more. Buy it "green" and follow the above advice, save some money.
If I could buy it 100.00 cheaper I will take all the green wood you can bring.:)

Wannabe123

Wannabe123

ArboristSite Operative
If I could buy it 100.00 cheaper I will take all the green wood you can bring.:)

I feel ya, and believe me as a wood hoarder I don't sell wood unless I have 3 more cords than I need myself (course this was when I wasn't between homes. Right now, I don't have any wood at all). Course right now in the heating oil price drop, the wood guys are getting more reasonable. I haven't priced it lately since I refuse to pay for what grows wild, but the point is I recommend when you get a quote for "cut split delivered seasoned firewood" you ask for as few of those things as you can accommodate, demanding discounts along the way. Once a firewood dude advertises those features with a price, to me he set himself up for being forced to sell long, whole green logs much cheaper.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks, Ill look for that. Anyone in MD area by any chance?
where abouts MD?
in your pics,left to right 1st pic has some that may be seasoned. #2 looks green. #3 has some with the bark off that might be ready to burn. if you can look at the bundles that are sold at lowes or home depot. and i like mrs dashes too.:D

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would just burn it and put a basket with the wood for the next day onto or next to the wood stove. After one night next to the heat source it should have dried enough for a burn. Of course it is not optimum but quite usable.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Any doubt as to how long it's been seasoning will be squashed when you check the moisture with a firewood moisture meter. I see some say anything below 20% but I like mine to be about 12% -15% for better, more efficient burns. You can buy a decent meter at your local Lowes or Farm store for about $30. Well worth the money.
Ask the seller when it was cut next time as most hardwoods need a minimum of 12-15 months to season. Some like Oak will need two years or more before burning.
One thing most of us here do is get wood (cut it or buy it) and use it in two or three seasons from now. In other words we are two or three years ahead in order to have seasoned wood to burn today.
Have fun and welcome to the site.

Latest posts