does your 290 310 or 390 leak fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
recently my 310 started leakn fuel, it will leak a full tank over night, i was at the stihl dealer and he pretty much said ohhwell. i priced the tank wich also happens to basicaly be the saw. minus handle and cylinder. i am not impressed at all .

i realy wish we would have bought a 280. the guys like well if we rebuild it you myswell just get a new saw. im like ill do it and save you the headache. they are chargering 60/hr to wrench.

another thing that got me is they dont have any pro saws in stock, not a single 260 361 or even 460. they only have 280 230 210 and a top handle something. i wanted to handle the 260.

also asked about junk blown up saws and he just looked at me funny.

i was there getn my rsf chain hes like whats that going on. this is after i was talkin about the 310. i go well its going on my 359 husqvarna. he didnt say anything to that.

so i left not overly impressed with the stihl stealer. and alittler dissapointed in the 310 design. i shoulda known better a year ago. and bought the 280 for just alittler more.

im courious how many otheres are leaking,

thanks'
Evan

You sure it isnt a fuel line leaking? That series saw is common for the fuel line leaking between the tank and carb. Hell, I'll give ya a hundred bucks for it right now...

Where is it leaking from? Have you tried a new o-ring for the flippy cap? Part #9645 948 7734

The cap itself could also be leaking.

yeah i got some more checkn to do. i do like the saw so i womt give up easily. it isnt a hotrod like the 359 but i still like it.

thanks for the replies ill check out what you guys talked about.

thanks

Evan

Looking at my 310 and that whole area looks like it was one piece molded. So the only way I could see the actual tank leaking would be if you cracked plastic. Highly unlikely that you wouldn't remember hitting/dropping the saw that hard. Probably an o-ring on the flippy cap. Since the fuel line is above the tank, I don't think that would be the culprit just from sitting overnight.

What the others have said... and... just pressure test it. Tank faulure is very very rare unless you threw a chain and busted the side out.

Disconnect the fuel line and pressure it to a few psi..

Of all the crabbin Ive heard on the 029/039 Ive never heard anybody complain of gas leaking. And if your not happy with it fix it and ebay it. Take the winnings and buy a pro saw.:cheers:

ill tear into it here shortly been working latley so i can play with the saws all day. i did need a saw yesterday but didnt have and had to make do. grrrr i guys dirt guys need to keep chain saws on them.

ill tear into it here shortly been working latley so i can play with the saws all day. i did need a saw yesterday but didnt have and had to make do. grrrr i guys dirt guys need to keep chain saws on them.

+1. When I was still working construction, we picked a "re rock" on a berm at a bridge over a creek. They bid sight unseen. They sent me down there to place the rock with a track loader. Nobody stopped to think there were 4-8" trees littering the slope. I did not have a chainsaw, so it was back home, grab the 026, then back to the job site. The area manager was pissed that it took me an extra day for an "easy" rock job. I told him to look at what he is bidding on!

Originally Posted by Evan

+1. When I was still working construction, we picked a "re rock" on a berm at a bridge over a creek. They bid sight unseen. They sent me down there to place the rock with a track loader. Nobody stopped to think there were 4-8" trees littering the slope. I did not have a chainsaw, so it was back home, grab the 026, then back to the job site. The area manager was pissed that it took me an extra day for an "easy" rock job. I told him to look at what he is bidding on!

did you actually understand what he meant? or were you just nodding your head in agreement?

Years ago my 038 was leaking fuel so I took it apart and noticed the plastic gas tank was leaking at the seam. I had it completely plastic welded by a local guy, that seem to work.
I use to bungie my saw on the front rack of my ATV and I guess all that bouncing around must of cracked the seam. No leaks now.

lol, sounds like he understood me, i need to edit more and reread alittle.

i work in excavation and needed a saw yesterday. saw was 40 miles away i dang near almost went and bought a 280 to get it done. figured id get in trouble for that. just ripped them out with the backhoe to get them out of the way, now ill be cutn them down to fit in the truck one of these comeing days. this wood is small, nothn to realy test the 359

i was thinkn jb weld if it came to that, much cheaper than replaceing the saw base

Depending on the leak/crack you could fix it yourself, it's worth a try.
Take the tank off and find where it leaks make sure it's dry of gas, maybe rough up the area with sandpaper, add the glue and maybe another coat when it dries.
I know Permatex makes and glue for gas leaks,probably several other brands out there, worth a try.

That's quite a leak -

That's quite a leak - got to be a bad line or something.
My 359 had a leak on the way home from when I bought it.
There was a service bulletin on the tank vent - it was a recall thing but I had to ask the Husky dlr. here about it before he knew anything. It wasn't enough to empty a tank though.
If your losing a tank overnite; have you tried relieving the pressure from the flipcap?
Maybe you have a bulged out hose at the carb nipple and the pressure is enough to start a leak and then a kind of siphon effect.
If the tank vent on your 310 is plugged, it will relieve pressure somewhere else.
Let us know what turns out.
-br

lol, sounds like he understood me, i need to edit more and reread alittle.

i work in excavation and needed a saw yesterday. saw was 40 miles away i dang near almost went and bought a 280 to get it done. figured id get in trouble for that. just ripped them out with the backhoe to get them out of the way, now ill be cutn them down to fit in the truck one of these comeing days. this wood is small, nothn to realy test the 359

i was thinkn jb weld if it came to that, much cheaper than replaceing the saw base

just razzing you a little.

btw, that is much better!!!

Latest posts

Back