Does your Wife help out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamaulden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone elses wife came out to help load and stack wood while you were spliting and then get mad start yelling at you and then storm off back into the house....Lucky for my I had my ear pro on and the splitter was runnin haha. Don't get me wrong I love her and was more than thrilled when she came out with her work boots on but turns out I wasn't splitting the wood small enough.

busy man 7 kids geesh...haha the best i can do right now is my chocolate lab but all he does it grab a peice and go lay down and chew on it.

Yup

She helps load and drag branches away while I'm limbing. Son helps split. Yeah, she does storm off into the house when I tell her not to hurt herself while "tugging" on too big a piece of wood. Hard headed.
What can I say? Heck, she's no good to us all laid up with a wrenched back because she wasn't careful.

Mine loves to work the splitter lever back and forth. I bought her a chainsaw (cheap craftsmanoff ebay) but she got mad cause i dont have a chain brake and i wont let her use it.

Hell yeah

Hell yeah my wife helps out and I love her all the more for it:heart:. She is in charge of splitting; her and my step-daughter-in-law run the spitter, sort by size, and divide the loads between our's and my step-son's trucks. After the wood is home she helps stack it outside, I carry it in as needed, but once its in the house there is hell to pay if I even touch "her stove" in the living room. She is definately doing something right, haven't had to put a match to the stove since its was lit for full time burning in October, and she is getting 12 hour burns out of a stove "rated" for 8. I, on the other hand, get to feed the wood pig of a furnace down in the basement, and that only gets lit when "her" stove can't keep up (usually not until the temps outside are in the teens), or the basement gets too cool or damp. Did I mention I love my wife!

Mine will work her azz off when we are here at the house/woodlot.
She loves to run one of the splitters for us. She will also help stack wood. I've never let her run a saw. Sometimes when out in the woods she'll bring the crew out a hot meal. She's supported all the saw purchases, never complained a bit. As long as she gets her money from wood sales all is good.lol She's always been a farm girl and has always been there to do what ever, rake hay, help work cattle, what ever we have going on she'll volunteer. We have had to run her off a time or too, because she doesn't know her limitations and would wind up over doing it. Been that way for the last 25 years we've been married, must be the half irish half cherokee blood and the auburn hair that makes her special.

Mine helps out but is gunshy. When she was younger she got a finger smashed inbetween two logs and ripped off the nail. Shes very deliberate now when stacking and splitting. :)

Haha yeah, no kids so the wife does stack while I am splitting. Yeah, she storms into the house quite frequently which can get annoying or relaxing. She is a wood stacking fiend, I have to start an hour or two early to keep up with her. We like to make a day of it and do about two cords. I throw the splits in a pile, she rolls up with a garden cart and loads up the cart, then pulls it into the back yard to stack. Only other helpers are the three dogs, who like to drag off the "good tasting" splits to munch on. She can also get real nasty on the size or the shape of the splits and has been known to lob a couple my way. I try to tell her it will all burn.....

Nope, dearest wifey would if I asked, but I canna stand being told how to do ma jobs, as more often she's right grr. So the division of chores are quite well defined here, I stay out her way and she'll let me do my things my wrong way.
The billy lids are getting big enough to muck in now so helps on its way.

My bride is the splitter operator, truck loader, and stacker. Now if I can just get her to the 20 cord mark by herself I'll be set :laugh:

My wife doesn't help with firewood mostly because we are'nt fireplace owners, I just have lots of camp/bonfires down at Rancho Varano. She does snag brush and tops and burns them off.

On the other hand she does help with the big jobs.

We spent nine months last year putting a new tile roof on our beach house- Playa Varano.

Demoed a flat roof off the Florida room down to four bare walls, hand framed the vaulted ceiling back onto the existing, ripped the first run of plywood off to put hurricane straps and bolt down rafter plates, all new soffits and fascia, entire new tile roof.

She was there on the roof every day, and when we took breaks, she'd run in the house and prepare lunch or refreshment- (simultaneously doing four loads of laundry every day of the weekend)

We saved 20k on the re-model and roof, and have a great feeling knowing the roof tiles are installed properly. It will be there 75 years or more, the old was 60 years old.

We're in the middle of douche-ing the attic of all old insulation, and complete new duct work and air handler. Estimating to save about 4k doing the insualtion and AC ourselves. Next will be windows and doors all the way around, and then paint exterior.

No doubt, if we lived in the snow belt, she'd be doing something wood related.

Did I mention she has been a Dental Hygienist for 28 years and still works 40+ a week?

She's a keeper.

my wife loves to help. She runs the splitter, splits by hand, stacks and loads the wood wagon. She is a little apprehensive about running a saw right now but I am working on it. Shes a darn good woman.

Jeff

If your question were "Does your spouse help with the wood?" my answer would be yes, a little. If you question was "Who does the most to get 'r done?" Well then, that answer would be me.

When we first started 'doing wood' hubby had an artificial heart run by batteries. When the batteries got low they would sound an alarm. When the alarm went off the batteries had to be changed within 5 minutes or he could cease to exist. The problem was with a splitter or saw running you couldn't 'hear' the battery alarms. Because of this hubby couldn't help much for fear we wouldn't hear his battery alarms or the other alarms that indicated a medical mechanical problem.

Now that hubby has a new heart he helps a little more but bending is a bummer because of his three surgeries. We have a 'new plan' in place for splitting wood this year so that should help a whole lot with processing wood.

Shari

My wife helps, she will do it all except cut, she'll run the splitter and then help stack, she'll run the Bobcat and grapple to bring me logs when I cut blocks to split. She is a big help.

busy man 7 kids geesh...haha the best i can do right now is my chocolate lab but all he does it grab a peice and go lay down and chew on it.

My Chocolate Lab proudly carries a stick of wood to the house, then under the porch. No help there.

He does carry wedges, files and other odds and ends in his dogpack when we work away from the road. :clap:

The Princess does not help. She is in charge of spending the money I save burning wood :msp_tongue:!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back