Dolmar 116SI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went too local rental /saw shop and checked the fall shop clearance table and found a Dolmar 116SI for $5.00:biggrinbounce2: ,was told it was fried and was not worth fixin,"Jug and the piston are fried" <---THIS IS THEIR MECHANICS WORDoverall nice shape fairly clean. brought it home and and tested the compression 5 times came out with a average compression reading of 130p:cheers: then noticed one thing very strange aint got the fuel line from the tank too carb. wondering about jug swapin with a differnt dolmar for more power. also any opions on just tryin too runin it the way it is. are these saw very accepting of muffler mods.
Thanks Mates:cheers:

Went too local rental /saw shop and checked the fall shop clearance table and found a Dolmar 116SI for $5.00:biggrinbounce2: ,was told it was fried and was not worth fixin,"Jug and the piston are fried" <---THIS IS THEIR MECHANICS WORDoverall nice shape fairly clean. brought it home and and tested the compression 5 times came out with a average compression reading of 130p:cheers: then noticed one thing very strange aint got the fuel line from the tank too carb. wondering about jug swapin with a differnt dolmar for more power. also any opions on just tryin too runin it the way it is. are these saw very accepting of muffler mods.
Thanks Mates:cheers:

Good find the Dolmar 116si was a very dependable saw. it does share the same frame as the 120si so yea it will accept the 68cc piston and cylinder in place of the 60cc that you have. That saw used a Till HS carb with a injector loop for starting. There are 2 lines coming off the top of the gas tank the small line on the left is a vent line and loops under the carb and the intake manifold and ends in the right front corner of the air box. The line on the right goes directly to the fuel inlet on the HS236 carburator. It usually was a braided rubber line as well. As far as muffler mods not much will be accomplished with the stock muffler by making it LOUDER. There used to be a european muffler available but not anymore that had more chamber room and did improve power.

Scott

more saw info

made 1987 and has a walb carb with single inlet:confused: my saw book says the saw uses a tillson carb:dizzy: will post some picts tonite. when i pulled the carb i tried my compression gauge on her with out muffler and carb i cranked it 10 times and got a reading of 150 what the hellz bellz am I doing wrong too get a weird reading like that:jawdrop:

does it have a Walbro HDA23 is so it is probably a plain 116 3.4 c.i. , The si series never used a Walbro carburator.

Scott

I'm new to this site but can anyone help me out with an old Dolmar 116si that is missing the steel brake band? (equals no chain brake!!!) I got onto the Australian Makita distributor who claims they stopped manufacturing the part in the early 2000's. I've had no luck trawling the internet. The saw itself cuts like a champ but I'm a bit wary of using it without the brake; I value my skin/limbs etc.

The brake bands are NLA. Look for a parts saw with complete brake or hunt on ebay germany.

Go to ebay Germany and there are a couple of sellers that wreck dolmars - can get pretty much anything. Also be aware that the chain brake and clutch cover are the same across a number of the saws of this era. I was lucky that I got a 114 wreck for a few dollars that had a good clutch cover and brake. While there is truth in the fact that parts are harder to find than for a Stihl or Husky (largely cause there is no aftermarket stuff) the integrity of the design and quality of these saws means that there is not a hell of a lot that goes wrong with them when they are looked after. Most of the missing bits on dolmars I have acquired has been because they were lost rather than anything broken.
I have two 120si's and a 116si - they are great saws and while a little more heavy than modern saws it would take a good Husky 372 to out cut a well tuned 120. 116 is also a great saw but same weight but 8cc smaller than 120. I will keep an eye out for a brake band for you and it is always worth grabbing a good filter if you come across one.

Go to ebay Germany and there are a couple of sellers that wreck dolmars - can get pretty much anything. Also be aware that the chain brake and clutch cover are the same across a number of the saws of this era. I was lucky that I got a 114 wreck for a few dollars that had a good clutch cover and brake. While there is truth in the fact that parts are harder to find than for a Stihl or Husky (largely cause there is no aftermarket stuff) the integrity of the design and quality of these saws means that there is not a hell of a lot that goes wrong with them when they are looked after. Most of the missing bits on dolmars I have acquired has been because they were lost rather than anything broken.
I have two 120si's and a 116si - they are great saws and while a little more heavy than modern saws it would take a good Husky 372 to out cut a well tuned 120. 116 is also a great saw but same weight but 8cc smaller than 120. I will keep an eye out for a brake band for you and it is always worth grabbing a good filter if you come across one.
Thanks fellas for your advice
I'm new to this site but can anyone help me out with an old Dolmar 116si that is missing the steel brake band? (equals no chain brake!!!) I got onto the Australian Makita distributor who claims they stopped manufacturing the part in the early 2000's. I've had no luck trawling the internet. The saw itself cuts like a champ but I'm a bit wary of using it without the brake; I value my skin/limbs etc.
Thanks for your advice fellas.

Back