Dolmar 166 ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Reading through old threads and still found no answer. A neighbor has a Dolmar 166 that I may be able to purchase, but the ignition is bad in it (so I'm told).

Has any one came up with a solution other than finding an old stock or used coil?

I haven't seen the saw yet, and I haven't seen any pictures to see how much room, where the original is mounted or what a replacement coil world have to be.

I'm wondering if I can machine a bracket and use a common coil from another application, of course getting the timeing right will take a bit of work but I'm willing to try. Dial in TDC and figure things out from there with a common coil, makeing my bracket adjustable.

Dolma 133 coil problems. Need Help!!!

I have the same problem.
I have had a 133 I got off ebay about 2 years ago. Couldn,t get it running when I got it then 3 months ago I picked it up, tinkered with it and got it running. I just got a bar and chain for it today and went out to try it. DANG thang is cuttin out bad. I know its the coil. I too am looking for a solution for the coil problem. NEED HELP!!!! I have looked on ebay for a while now for a coil w/ no luck. I would rather swap to a different style coil. Any Ideas

I guess that would make that extra new 166 coil on the shelf worth something wouldn't it Sir. I have to keep it back for the ones in the corner of the garage, you just never know when one goes tits up. :cheers:

interchangable

I guess that would make that extra new 166 coil on the shelf worth something wouldn't it Sir. I have to keep it back for the ones in the corner of the garage, you just never know when one goes tits up. :cheers:

What saws used the same coil? Anybody.

I have the same problem.
I have had a 133 I got off ebay about 2 years ago. Couldn,t get it running when I got it then 3 months ago I picked it up, tinkered with it and got it running. I just got a bar and chain for it today and went out to try it. DANG thang is cuttin out bad. I know its the coil. I too am looking for a solution for the coil problem. NEED HELP!!!! I have looked on ebay for a while now for a coil w/ no luck. I would rather swap to a different style coil. Any Ideas

if it is "cutting out" or "skipping" It is probably the switch wire shorting out check the entire length but they usually skin themselves between the intake manifild and the actual switch. If it is not broken in two unplug it from the switch and install some heat shrink over the skinned areas

Scott

What saws used the same coil? Anybody.

There were 3 different ignition systems that needed 3 versions of flywheels as well

The oldest If I rem correctly was the Bosch KDK which had a 98% failure rate in the flywheels and were only on real early models.

The second gen was the Bosch KDT which had interchangeable coil and trigger on the stator and a upgraded flywheel.

The 3rd gen was the SEM ignition system which was a one piece non serviceable ignition unit and a Aluminum flywheel.

As far as Donor saws the 119, 120, 120 super, 123, 133, 133 super, 143, 143mx and then the 309 and 343 cutoff saws.

I have never seen But some sy the latest model 309's and 343's had a governed coil? But I have not seen that.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Reading through old threads and still found no answer. A neighbor has a Dolmar 166 that I may be able to purchase, but the ignition is bad in it (so I'm told).

Has any one came up with a solution other than finding an old stock or used coil?

I haven't seen the saw yet, and I haven't seen any pictures to see how much room, where the original is mounted or what a replacement coil world have to be.

I'm wondering if I can machine a bracket and use a common coil from another application, of course getting the timeing right will take a bit of work but I'm willing to try. Dial in TDC and figure things out from there with a common coil, makeing my bracket adjustable.

As far as I know there is no other Coils for the 166's You will have to keep your eyes open for a parts saw..

Scott

if it is "cutting out" or "skipping" It is probably the switch wire shorting out check the entire length but they usually skin themselves between the intake manifild and the actual switch. If it is not broken in two unplug it from the switch and install some heat shrink over the skinned areas

Scott

It may take me a lil while to get to it I just started working 7-12s @ work. I will give an update to let you know what the outcome is. have never seen a saw act like that and all the problems I heard about the problems with the coils on those I figured that was it. Thanks for the info.

Your favorite dolmar dealer has a parts 166 with a coil still on it. If you are still looking.

Latest posts

Back