Dolmar 5100, Husky 346, Stihl ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never run a 5100 or a 346..but I have never been underwhelmed with the power of a muffler modded 026.

Are you Stihl guys in a round about way saying that Stihl has nothing stock that can compete with these 2 saw without being modded?:monkey:

If all you're concerned with is "out of the box" stop-watch times for cutting cookies, then your probably right.

I practical terms, the MS260 does just fine... and there are a zillion times more 026/260 out there the there ever will be 5100 or 346. A tiny muffler mod will get you back what the epa stole..

And... when your ready to make a decision, go cut with a MS280... you will be suprised.

If you don't care about dealer support, buy whatever you want. If you have multiple great local dealers of any of the three brands, toss a coin.

Oh yes, this has all been debated at least 2 zillion times.. so use search..

Last edited:
Are you Stihl guys in a round about way saying that Stihl has nothing stock that can compete with these 2 saw without being modded?:monkey:

Define "compete".

If compete means absolute lowest time in a cut then probably not. (ie: doesn't win the 50 yard dash). If compete means a saw that performs day in day out/year in year out and is as reliable as gravity then the 026/MS260 most definately does compete. (ie: wins the marathon)

Last edited:
If all you're concerned with is "out of the box" stop-watch times for cutting cookies, then your probably right.

I practical terms, the MS260 does just fine... and there are a zillion times more 026/260 out there the there ever will be 5100 or 346. A tiny muffler mod will get you back what the epa stole..

And... when your ready to make a decision, go cut with a MS280... you will be suprised.

If you don't care about dealer support, buy whatever you want. If you have multiple great local dealers of any of the three brands, toss a coin.

I think Andy summed it up well.

And what Andy was trying to say was "No."

:D

Latest posts

Back