Dolmar 5100s Main Bearing HELP !!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB43725

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I really need help from someone whos replaced main bearings in a 5100. As the 2 bearings are different,, starter side is 11mm wide and clutch side is 12mm wide. Dolmar lists one for the starter side as a ball bearing and the one for the clutch side as a combination bearing. Their about 6 dollars different in price. Now where the problem is when I got them in is that their the same bearing. So I reordered the clutch side bearing and samething. Same smaller bearing as the starter side, so im needing some help here from someone that has replaced main bearings in a 5100s. Also the starter side has the seal that goes in the crankcase, while on the clutch side the seal is made right in the bearing. And that bearing presses on the crankshaft. PLEASE HELP.
Dennis

They are both the common chainsaw bearing size 6202.

Did all your bearings have the seals in them?

The clutch side bearing is supposed to be seated in the case with Loctite 601.

The seal is supposed to have some grease smeared on the back side before installing

I have a 5100 apart right now with a clutch side bearing spun in the case. I have the bearing/seal clutch side and bearing plus seal flywheel side in stock. They are different sizes.

I have a 5100 apart right now with a clutch side bearing spun in the case. I have the bearing/seal clutch side and bearing plus seal flywheel side in stock. They are different sizes.

Thats good to hear as I was wondering if I was losing it,,LOL,,, I sure would like to purchase the clutch side bearing if ya want to sell it ? That bearing is listed as a combination bearing,,as it has a seal in it. Let me know.

I am curious, what happened to the bearing(s).

I had the P@C off the saw and was looking down in the crankcase and seen all the paint was gone on one side of the case so I desided to take her clear apart and descovered the bearing to be very ruff when you spin them,, desided to replace them.

Are you sure that saw didn't spin a bearing in the case. This saw you could see the whole bearing freely turning in the case while turning by hand.

The clutch side bearing is supposed to be seated in the case with Loctite 601.

The IPL say "einkleben/use glue", so I guess that makes sence.

...and the bearings does have different part numbers, and are speced as 6202 and 6202 C3 (whatever that means).

Are you sure that saw didn't spin a bearing in the case. This saw you could see the whole bearing freely turning in the case while turning by hand.

No the bearing doesnt spin in the case. It was still glued in their very well.

I had the P@C off the saw and was looking down in the crankcase and seen all the paint was gone on one side of the case...

I purchased a 5100 S fixer-upper. Noticed it was also missing quite a bit of paint on the bottom of the crankcase when replacing a piston recently. No sign of white death, so I slapped it back together. Is bare mag. a problem there? I use non-E fuel if it makes a difference. Appreciate a "knowledge drop" on this.

I purchased a 5100 S fixer-upper. Noticed it was also missing quite a bit of paint on the bottom of the crankcase when replacing a piston recently. No sign of white death, so I slapped it back together. Is bare mag. a problem there? I use non-E fuel if it makes a difference. Appreciate a "knowledge drop" on this.

I got 4- 5100s saws and i bought them all with the p@c rotched,, and 3 of the 4 have the paint missing on part of the crankcase inside under the crank. That was the reason I pulled this one clear down,, and really cant see any reason the crank scraped the paint off,, only thing i can see is looks like some of the paint bubbled up and then the crank rubbed it off,,because the bearing arent that bad just a little ruff,,fig I might just as well replace them since I had it apart.. I just didnt count on Dolmar packageing the bearing wrong. I guess I shouldnt be surprised though,,from all the horrer stories I have read about on this model of saw.. I just took kinda of a liken to this model so I will just have to bite the bullett,,,LOL

O and by the way I got the boys up and Edge and Engine are going to get to the bottom of this problem for me as soon as the bearing comes in they ordered for me. That bearing on the clutch side has a longer inside race, probley so the seal thats inside the bearing has a place to seal against.

The IPL say "einkleben/use glue", so I guess that makes sence.

...and the bearings does have different part numbers, and are speced as 6202 and 6202 C3 (whatever that means).

Troll I cheched with some bearing manf, and they told me the C3 stands for oil deflector made in that bearing. But as far as 6202 being used in both sides someone at dolmar is smokin lefthanded cigs,,,LOL In fact 2 different co,s manufacture the bearings, one is in Germany and the other(biggerbearing) is made in Porchagal.

Troll I cheched with some bearing manf, and they told me the C3 stands for oil deflector made in that bearing. But as far as 6202 being used in both sides someone at dolmar is smokin lefthanded cigs,,,LOL In fact 2 different co,s manufacture the bearings, one is in Germany and the other(biggerbearing) is made in Porchagal.

The IPL I referred to is from 2010 - I don't know if things have changed at some point, or anything else about the subject...

The IPL I referred to is from 2010 - I don't know if things have changed at some point, or anything else about the subject...

Thanks Troll for the help and if the dern thing didnt have to be air tight It would be back together already,I just want to do it right the first time ,,hate those redues.

Debating about leaving this saw apart for the GTG. We often hear about this stuff but never get a chance to see for our selves. Plus I can give a quick demo of how I set up to test this perticular saw.

WKPOOR Im planning on being at the GTG,but dont leave it apart on my acount,,, I just need that clutch side bearing at this point. For some reason their seems to be a problem getting it,, I just wonder how many dolmar packaged wrong,

Back