Dolmar 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a new 5100S and this saw does not pump enough bar oil to wet the bar and chain. I can get oil on the chain before I start cutting, but after 10 minutes the bar is dry and stays that way.
The saw pumps oil with the bar off, and I have cleaned the oil holes in the bar and even turned the bar over with no luck. I have the oil pump screw on max but it has a limiter. Anyone else have this problem?
Any information would be much appreciated. Jerry T.

Is the oil pooling at the cut area? Is the oil reservoir going down at the same pace as the fuel tank? Could the wrong bar have been installed on the saw? Mine does look wet but oils enough to keep the chain moving.

Is the oil pooling at the cut area? Is the oil reservoir going down at the same pace as the fuel tank? Could the wrong bar have been installed on the saw? Mine does look wet but oils enough to keep the chain moving.
The oil in the tank goes down, but there is still oil in the tank when the gas runs out. The oil hole in the bar seems to line up with the oil slot on the saw. I have run a 112, 120, and 115 and they sling oil like there is no tomorrow. I wanted to hear from other 5100 owners before I send it off to the dealer. Thanks for the reply.

Saw is designed to run out of fuel mix before oil, even if set on high. Older saws did sling oil everywhere, they had bigger tanks and could afford some waste. New EPA regs do not allow for any waste so everything is kept tight. Mine looks dry also but the oil is there. good luck with the saw, I luv mine.

I had a similar situation with my Makita DCS520i. The cheaper thick red stuff from poulan didn't flow well. I tried straight Canola oil and it works like a charm. Got some ECHO oil and it flows better than the Poulan PRO oil.
Canola prices have more than doubled since I last bought it but it works very well and I am keeping my eyes open for any good deals on say pull dated oil. Also heear that rape seed oil should be even better. Have you tried cutting your oil just a tad with kerosene?

I had a similar situation with my Makita DCS520i. The cheaper thick red stuff from poulan didn't flow well. I tried straight Canola oil and it works like a charm. Got some ECHO oil and it flows better than the Poulan PRO oil.
Canola prices have more than doubled since I last bought it but it works very well and I am keeping my eyes open for any good deals on say pull dated oil. Also heear that rape seed oil should be even better. Have you tried cutting your oil just a tad with kerosene?
That info helps. I am using Poulan bar oil. There is no Dolmar dealer near when I live. I will try the Canola. Thanks.

That poulan oil in the green jug works fine in my 5100, i've ran mine in 10 degree weather and it pumps plenty of oil and i haven't turned it up,it's still on the factory setting.

How do you like you saw? I hear alot of bad things here and there but so far mine is the best saw i have ever owned...never had anything that performs as well as it does.

That poulan oil in the green jug works fine in my 5100, i've ran mine in 10 degree weather and it pumps plenty of oil and i haven't turned it up,it's still on the factory setting.

How do you like you saw? I hear alot of bad things here and there but so far mine is the best saw i have ever owned...never had anything that performs as well as it does.
I like the saw. It is smooth and fast cutting, and not near as heavy as the 112 that I used for years. My only concern is the lack of oil on the bar, but I will get that worked out. If your saw is putting plenty of oil on the bar and chain with the factory setting, then the pump on my saw must not be working properly

I've set my oiler to high and it pumps out heaps of oil. As mentioned earlier, have you installed the correct bar or possibly have blocked oil holes in the bar? Pull the bar and chain cover off, start the saw, rev it a bit and see if oil is flowing from the oil gallery. If not its a warranty job - if sufficient oil does flow out then its a bar fitment/oil hole issue.

Fire it up, holding the tip of the bar a few inches from a piece of wood. Rev it up a little and you should see a fine spray of oil on the wood in just a couple seconds. If you do its fine. If not, somethings wrong. I use poulan oil in mine and it works fine, though i don't cut in freezing temps.

Last edited:

I really like mine... I've ran about 6 tanks of gas through it now and it still runs great. As with all saw's, this need a little bit of TLC. Just keep her clean, change or replace the air filter reg... and if you don't know how to tune the carb, take it to a knowledgeable Dolmar dealer to get it tuned.. I have a Dolmar dealer just 2 miles from my house and I drove 30 miles to KY to purchase my saw and get it tuned. I didn't trust the dealer who is 2 miles from my house due to he didn't even know what a 5100s even was.:dizzy:

Anyway.. I really like my saw... next year... maybe a 7900...:clap:

5100S That won't oil

I've set my oiler to high and it pumps out heaps of oil. As mentioned earlier, have you installed the correct bar or possibly have blocked oil holes in the bar? Pull the bar and chain cover off, start the saw, rev it a bit and see if oil is flowing from the oil gallery. If not its a warranty job - if sufficient oil does flow out then its a bar fitment/oil hole issue.

I am going to have to send it back to the dealer to be checked out. I have blown out the bar holes with air, run a small piece of wire through each hole, turned the bars over, and used the bar that came with the saw, as well as an Oregon PowerMatch Plus. No luck. No oil will spray off the bar. Thanks for your help and info.

Does oil flow out the oil gallery with the saw running with no bar fitted? Not sure if you tried that one yet?

5100S not oiling

Does oil flow out the oil gallery with the saw running with no bar fitted? Not sure if you tried that one yet?

Oil does flow out, and that makes it look like a bar problem, but the oil hole in the bar seems to line up, and one bar is the one that came on the saw. I talked with the dealer and he told me that the oil pump has a plastic gear that might be failing. Thanks for your help.

I have a new 5100S and this saw does not pump enough bar oil to wet the bar and chain. I can get oil on the chain before I start cutting, but after 10 minutes the bar is dry and stays that way.
The saw pumps oil with the bar off, and I have cleaned the oil holes in the bar and even turned the bar over with no luck. I have the oil pump screw on max but it has a limiter. Anyone else have this problem?
Any information would be much appreciated. Jerry T.

How's it going-- I got a chuckle out of you thread. Why?? I started a thread a few months back about my new Dolmar 5100S putting out too much oil. Really. It had been a long time since I'd run a new clean saw without cutting ( a little break in run). Oil was everywhere. I freaked out and posted this as a problem. As soon as I dipped its bill into a bowl of wood, everything was fine. Please let us know what the final outcome is.

5100 not oiling

How's it going-- I got a chuckle out of you thread. Why?? I started a thread a few months back about my new Dolmar 5100S putting out too much oil. Really. It had been a long time since I'd run a new clean saw without cutting ( a little break in run). Oil was everywhere. I freaked out and posted this as a problem. As soon as I dipped its bill into a bowl of wood, everything was fine. Please let us know what the final outcome is.

I will send it back to the dealer next week, and post the results when I get it back. I have never had this problem with a Dolmar and I bought my first one in 1984. I blew out everything today with compressed air, used two different bars, and still no oil on the bar and chain. This is the best firewood saw that I have ever had, and I have had a bunch. Thanks for your info.

The 5100 came back from the shop today, and now it oils like it should.

Slings a nice line of oil off the bar tip. It was adjusted with a tach while in the shop, and does it rip. I am using Stihl 33RSC chain on a 16 inch bar, and this is the fastest cutting chain I have ever used.

This might be the best firewood saw that I have ever run.

Thanks to everyone who gave help on the bar oil problem.

I think I posted the first reply in the wrong place.

Now if I could just figure out a need for an MS 361. /B]

Good to hear its all fixed. They really are an awesome little saw. They make a great combo with the 7900 depending on the sized wood you have to cut. I love mine :)

Latest posts

Back