Dolmar 6400 first outing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgb84

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
dolmar1.png dolmar3.png

My Dolmar 6400 came in today that I bought from Fastleo16. I am very pleased with it and it is my first saw that's bigger than 50cc's. Here is a couple photos of its maiden voyage. I am running a 20" bar with new full comp carlton 3/8 .050 and it cuts great. It was a little lean at 13.5 k from the factory so I "rednecked" a piece of 1/4 air hose to go over the high speed jet spline and adjusted it down to 13k. I still have to cut out the cat, but don't intend to muffler mod it at the advice of (nmurph). I know it can be better with a new p/c bb kit , but as it is I am satisfied for now. There was a large dead tree about 20 yards from this tree and I felled this one into it, knocking them both down. I know my backcut was too low on this tree for those critics out there, but it was fun anyway and in a safe environment.

Wait for 680 members to tell you that you'll need to fit a big bore kit or the world will end :)
The 6400 is a great saw and highly underrated. You'll never kill it and it punches well above what it's 64cc capacity would indicate.
Just keep an eye out for any dust getting through the standard filter. If it does either use filter oil or buy the heavy duty filter kit from Dolmar, they are an excellent setup.

Wait for 680 members to tell you that you'll need to fit a big bore kit or the world will end :)
I warned him as well, LOL! I have owned a few of these, and cant think of a reason to dump the 64cc cylinder for anything else (other than, just to say so- or a good buy on another jug). If I own another 6400 or 7300, I wont bother swapping top ends again, at least for the 20" and under wood I would have it in. Cost:benefit just isn't there for me, IMO. Definitely agreed that these 64cc saws are highly underrated!

My Dolmar 6400 came in today that I bought from Fastleo16. I am very pleased with it and it is my first saw that's bigger than 50cc's. Here is a couple photos of its maiden voyage. I am running a 20" bar with new full comp carlton 3/8 .050 and it cuts great. It was a little lean at 13.5 k from the factory so I "rednecked" a piece of 1/4 air hose to go over the high speed jet spline and adjusted it down to 13k. I still have to cut out the cat, but don't intend to muffler mod it at the advice of (nmurph). I know it can be better with a new p/c bb kit , but as it is I am satisfied for now. There was a large dead tree about 20 yards from this tree and I felled this one into it, knocking them both down. I know my backcut was too low on this tree for those critics out there, but it was fun anyway and in a safe environment.

I am glad to hear you like it. If it does have a cat, take my advice and see if you can find a gently used non-cat rather than modifying the cat muffler. If it is the muffler without a cat, I wouldn't bother doing a mm on it- they flow really well.
Be aware that when tuning that saw, the limited coil on that saw sounds very similar to the "4 stroking" sound we look for in tune. It is important that these saws are tuned in the wood with a careful ear, at least from my experience.
I know you are probably aware of everything in my post, but if not just thought I would pass on what was passed on to me, or learned from by me. I think you made a wise choice on saws, sure is a beauty!

*Edited for correctness*

Last edited:
Nice saws. bullet proof saws that are often overlooked for their bigger brother. That saw originally came out of my shop. hd filter kits are nice and can be had for allot less than a bill.

All of the new 6400 saws have cats now-I'm not sure what year they changed over, but the model number didn't change (unlike Makita, which went from 6401 to 6421 with the cat intro). The newer mufflers have the extra brace on the front edge. Mine is non-cat. I have bigger saws but my 6400 is still a favorite

Attachments

• 6400 muffler.jpg
    6400 muffler.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 6400 cat muffler.jpg
    6400 cat muffler.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 12
Nice looking 6400, I got my 6400 about a week ago. I have a question about your 6400. Does it restart on first pull when warm using the compression release. Mine sometimes take 4 or 5 pulls to restart from a warm start when I use the compression release. If I don't use the compression release it fires 1st pull. Is your similar? I only have 2 tanks of gas burned in mine.

I got my 6400 for Xmas last year .I've not had much experience with saws but I really like mine has never let me down. I'm sure you will be very satisfied

Nice looking 6400, I got my 6400 about a week ago. I have a question about your 6400. Does it restart on first pull when warm using the compression release. Mine sometimes take 4 or 5 pulls to restart from a warm start when I use the compression release. If I don't use the compression release it fires 1st pull. Is your similar? I only have 2 tanks of gas burned in mine.

You may find it will settle down with a bit of use. The decomp thing does sound odd but maybe check if your L jet is set a bit rich. One thing I've found with the Dolmars is that they can sometimes be a pig to start when warm if they have been idling for a while with the L jet set too rich. It seems to foul the plug, particularly with certain mineral oils.

Latest posts

Back