Dolmar 6400 or jonsered 2166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi guys replacing my ms 360 pro setup with a 20" bar. Love the stihl accept the fuel and oil caps and its getting tired. Looking at the dolmar 6400 and the jonsered 2166. Mostly because I have a close dealer for both. The jonsered dealer said the 2166 was the best jonsered match for the dolmar 6400.. What do you think? Any feed back on them would be helpful.

The dolmar can be upgraded to 79cc later with just a piston and cylinder swap. The 2166 can me made into a 2172 with just some grinding. So both saws easily upgraded later if u chose. I personally prefer the 2166 as I have a soft spot for Jonsereds.

I also am not crazy about the dolmar handle angle and balance.....but that's just a personal thing and most people like them.

I would NOT include either in my search as replacement for a 60cc saw. I would be looking at the Dolmar 6100 (MUCH more modern compared to the 6400) or the Husqvarna 555 (don't know the Jonsered number).

But of the two mentioned above I would always choose the jonsered, because the grinding is supposed to be a easy ticket.

I would NOT include either in my search as replacement for a 60cc saw. I would be looking at the Dolmar 6100 (MUCH more modern compared to the 6400) or the Husqvarna 555 (don't know the Jonsered number).

But of the two mentioned above I would always choose the jonsered, because the grinding is supposed to be a easy ticket.

JRed number is 2258

well I just bought a new 2166 with a 24inch bar [also bought 20inch] I will cut with it tomorrow, I hope I have better luck with this one,i bought it from Comstock logging supplies, dollgvile ny, they had a 6100 dolmar for 525 I was going to buy that but it wouldn't start,so I bought what I went there for they had a sale 599.99 they bought 50 from jonsred, to get for this price,i cant wait to run it,i forgot to buy 20inch chain,so ill pick one up.and I have a new echo 600p coming on the 16th, its getting to be a bad habit, but I stole the echo 425 new off the shelf,im ready to take on the woods,

I've only run the 2166, but she's a beast, bury the 20" in hardwood and lean on it!

2258 - but I'd always go 560xp/2260, for more performance at the same weight (these are much lighter and neater saws than the 6400 and 2166).

boy once they got the dolmar 6100 running ,that's sounds mean, REAL MEAN,i have an echo 600p echo coming on the 16th,[new in box]bought it cheap 425 -ebay,the dolmar was 525m but it took then 20 min to get running and after shuting it off,it wouldnt start again,thats the problem I had with my first 2166;

6400 or 7900 are great saws, however, they are both nose heavy with a 24inch bar. If that doesn't bother you,fine. The muffler on new Dolmars could be a challenge for some to modify. 2166 is very a good value for the money.

Back