Dolmar 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paragon Builder

AS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I picked up a used Dolmar 6400 from a member here about a month ago. It runs really good. Starts idles cuts great.
The issue I'm having is when I set the saw down for a few minutes it doesn't want to start. Takes me quite a few pulls.
So I decided to inspect it a bit. Compression was at 195 and it's been sitting for a couple weeks. Pulled the muffler and found a couple cracks in it where the bolts go. One of the front bracket nuts inside the muffler pulled right out. Which effectively made it a dual port!![emoji12]
I wanted to get a pre cat muffler anyways so if anyone has one let me know.
The piston and cylinder look great so that's good. Then I started to look at the carb and when I touched the gas line it squirted fuel. I pulled it off and there was a gush of fuel under pretty good pressure. Saw was inside and had not been run. Tank was 1/3 full. I opened gas cap and there was quite a lot of pressure.
Does the tank vent only allow fresh air into the tank or is it supposed to prevent pressure build up as well?
Could this be causing my saw to flood making it hard to start?
Thanks.

That's pretty normal on the gas line, when you take it off it usually always gushes. It helped in ways finding a leaky fuel line....usually right at the carb after the thick attachment point and about two ribs in.

Pretty easy fix. That would also cause your hard starting as it wouldn't draw fuel

Didn't see you last sentence..... Is the plug wet when it won't start, have you looked. If its wet It could be the Low adjustment is to rich. How's the throttle response? Fast or sluggish? My also need a rebuild.

You will want to check to see if the needle arm isn't too hi and causing the needle not to seat. That could cause it also....if the plugs wet.

Didn't see you last sentence..... Is the plug wet when it won't start, have you looked. If its wet It could be the Low adjustment is to rich. How's the throttle response? Fast or sluggish? My also need a rebuild.

You will want to check to see if the needle arm isn't too hi and causing the needle not to seat. That could cause it also....if the plugs wet.
I have not checked the plug but I thought that might be it and leaned the low a bit. Didn't help and throttle response suffered...
It's my first dolly so I'm not sure how response is when they are good. I've been planning to do the carb mods but I want everything up to snuff first. Maybe I should just get a fuel and impulse line and carb kit and see what happens. Do the intake boots go bad on these? Should I get one of them also?

The only place I've seen the boots go bad is at the little bolts on each side where thebcarb bolts run into.

It would be good if you get the gremlins sorted out before a carb mod otherwise things multiply and it gets hard to chase them all down.

I'm thinking you will probably get it running right with what your planning.

The only place I've seen the boots go bad is at the little bolts on each side where thebcarb bolts run into.

It would be good if you get the gremlins sorted out before a carb mod otherwise things multiply and it gets hard to chase them all down.

I'm thinking you will probably get it running right with what your planning.
Thanks Rich.
I appreciate your insight!

I have a 2001. PS-6400 and she is "the s**t" (to me , that is).
After having been started once , shell pop on one pull all day long no matter whether she sits 1 minute or an hour after being turned off!
But if ran dry she does require choke after refueling even when hot.
Other than slightly lowering the idle RPM's my PS-6400 never needed carb tuning - read: "it is still factory tuned". :)
I love this saw! :heart:

The scenario You described sounds familiar though - not the fuel line thing but the "few pulls".
My 2003. PS-7900 doesn't like to be turned of and sat down hot.
Within a few minutes after being turned off she pops (comes to life) on one pull , but if she sits longer she won't start as easy for whatever reason.
In such situation she just refuses to come back to life without choke , though when engaging choke she seems to flood easily causing me to either pull the plug (I try not to) or let her sit a little longer to allow the excess fuel to evaporate - after which she then pops on one pull.
Odd thing is , she seems to behave like this only at high outdoor temperatures , when it is cold outside she behaves like my PS-6400.
I own the PS-7900 for just one firewood season now , thus she is somewhat new to me.
I also had to re-tune the carb completely , all three screws were messed with (S,L,H) , so I might not have hit the ultimate sweet spot yet! ;)
What needs be said , this saw is a mean bitc# making me grin all day long. :chainsaw:

Both saws tend to build pressure within their fuel tanks , but I don't think that is the reason for the said behavior/issue.

Note:
Mainly using my PS-7900 to cut my big firewood logs I started to do following.
Whenever she wouldn't start on one pull I'd engage choke causing her to sound off , disengage choke and release automatic half throttle and pull.
In most cases (2/3 , maybe 3/4) that would bring her back to life on three pulls , but it does sometimes cause her to flood as well. :oops:
I didn't even consider re-adjusting the "L" needle because her throttle response seems great , but I might look into it at some point.

Have fun with Your Dolmar PS-6400 , it is a great saw! :rock:

So I picked up a used Dolmar 6400 from a member here about a month ago. It runs really good. Starts idles cuts great.
The issue I'm having is when I set the saw down for a few minutes it doesn't want to start. Takes me quite a few pulls.
So I decided to inspect it a bit. Compression was at 195 and it's been sitting for a couple weeks. Pulled the muffler and found a couple cracks in it where the bolts go. One of the front bracket nuts inside the muffler pulled right out. Which effectively made it a dual port!![emoji12]
I wanted to get a pre cat muffler anyways so if anyone has one let me know.
The piston and cylinder look great so that's good. Then I started to look at the carb and when I touched the gas line it squirted fuel. I pulled it off and there was a gush of fuel under pretty good pressure. Saw was inside and had not been run. Tank was 1/3 full. I opened gas cap and there was quite a lot of pressure.
Does the tank vent only allow fresh air into the tank or is it supposed to prevent pressure build up as well?
Could this be causing my saw to flood making it hard to start?
Thanks.

Dan,
I usually open the fuel cap on a saw before I work on the carb as it seems to release the pressure in the system. My 6400 is a gusher too. (Notice I said "usually" open the cap- age and stupidity makes you forget stuff sometimes).
You're close to me, if you want to swap out some parts just let me know. I got 2 64xx DolMaks and me likes them lots.
Also Nate(ford150) is a Dolmar dealer and will bend over backwards to help in anyway he can. I'll wait a few days to have him ship me parts before I drive the 12 short miles to my local Dolly dealer...who is great too.
I'm thinkin the low end idle needs adjustment. If yea want send me the carb and I'll throw it on mine to confirm.

Dan, if ya want to swap out a carb to confirm, let me know. You're not far north of me. If yea want to send it to me to throw it up on a saw that'll work too.

Your gonna love that Dolly...it is a smoooooooth runner....don't listen to the girlie men who think she is a bit "sturdy" in the bottom ...:rolleyes:

Dan, if ya want to swap out a carb to confirm, let me know. You're not far north of me. If yea want to send it to me to throw it up on a saw that'll work too.

Your gonna love that Dolly...it is a smoooooooth runner....don't listen to the girlie men who think she is a bit "sturdy" in the bottom ...:rolleyes:
Where are you Angelo? Maybe I'll just bring it down and we can look at it together. It would be nice to meet you.

I noticed the missing edit too , just for it to out of nowhere reapear ... and then vanishes again! :confused:

Really nice of You offering help with part swaps! :cheers:

I was clueless a few years ago. Lots of guys here reached out to help me. Quite a few became very good freinds ...just paying it forward.

Back