Dolmar problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused....I've worked on LOTS of engines....but have yet to encounter paint in the crankcase....and it's damaging pistons??? Flakes of paint are scoring the pistons? So, you're saying the lower end is painted, or coated, and it's coming off, and it's sucking it through the crankcase and causing enough damage to damage them. I guess it's possible, but seems really odd...good luck with whatever happens.

I'm confused....I've worked on LOTS of engines....but have yet to encounter paint in the crankcase....and it's damaging pistons??? Flakes of paint are scoring the pistons? So, you're saying the lower end is painted, or coated, and it's coming off, and it's sucking it through the crankcase and causing enough damage to damage them. I guess it's possible, but seems really odd...good luck with whatever happens.

Talking about the paint on the inside of the crankcase. One usual culprit for the paint flaking off is excessive amount of brake cleaner and or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throat of the carb so as to "clean" the carb, the real bad damage is done after a can of cleaner is installed in the crankcase and left to work it's magic overnight.

I gotcha, I've de-finished lots of stuff in my day with carb/brake cleaner! :)

I just didn't know there was mass paint in the crankcase of a chainsaw...I'll have to pull one apart, but I know my old dirtbikes never had any coating on them, just aluminum.same for cars, snowmobiles, toasters...that's why I don't understand. :)

And I just find it hard to believe that paint is scoring the pistons. Dirt, sure, but paint is much softer than dirt. Anywho, I don't know much, except that it's bedtime!

I'm curious about this paint issue.

Did Dolmar accept the saws back and did they support your diagnosis about the paint damage? What did they or your dealer/distributor have to say about this?

MY opinion on dolmar is THEY SUCK.
Oh?:

Dont get me wrong, I love dolmars as I try to sell them over huskys

Oh yea, I just sent 5 5100"s back to dolmar because of piston damage caused by paint coming off of the inside if the crankcase and the only had a few hours on each of them!!!!

Huh? I thought it was intake boot problem? When did it turn into a paint problem?:
Their is NO info about the problem with the intake boot as dolmar still hasn"t figured ot the problem yet, Im getting ready to send back another 5100 to dolmar that blew up because of intake air leak mabye they can figure somthing out hopefully with that unit.

I'm curious about this paint issue.

Did Dolmar accept the saws back and did they support your diagnosis about the paint damage? What did they or your dealer/distributor have to say about this?

My distributer has credited me for 7 dolmars that had damage due to paint in the crankcase coming off. A few of those saws had the impulse hose clogged with paint fragments causing the saw to run lean and blow it up. The problem isn't fixed yet so my distributer wont eat anymore money on these dolmar problems and told me to quit selling them. So now I have a dolmar that has got a diet for eating paint that I cannot change and My distributer wont credit any more money back until dolmar fixes the problem!!!:dizzy:

My distributer has credited me for 7 dolmars that had damage due to paint in the crankcase coming off. A few of those saws had the impulse hose clogged with paint fragments causing the saw to run lean and blow it up. The problem isn't fixed yet so my distributer wont eat anymore money on these dolmar problems and told me to quit selling them. So now I have a dolmar that has got a diet for eating paint that I cannot change and My distributer wont credit any more money back until dolmar fixes the problem!!!:dizzy:

What I can't figure out is, if this is such a big problem why isn't it showing up elsewhere (that I know of)? There are several Dolmar dealers here on Arboristsite alone, and no others are reporting chronic engine failure?

What I can't figure out is, if this is such a big problem why isn't it showing up elsewhere (that I know of)? There are several Dolmar dealers here on Arboristsite alone, and no others are reporting chronic engine failure?

When I find the problem out I will be glad to tell you. I almost think It is the blend of gasoline we have in the area but Im not sure.
I kinda pissed that I have to wait for dolmar to come up with a decision before any more saws get fixed of money refunded.

PS I really liked that dolmar 9010 but I happened to get stuck with a lemon.
Yes, I was venting yesterday and Im sorry for that:cry:

MY opinion on dolmar is THEY SUCK. MY 9010 that has about 1.5 hr of use has paint flakes coming off the crankcase and causing damage to the piston and cylinder. I tested the gas and it has 9.8% ethonal in it. All of my huskys and jonnys dont have a paint chipping problem using the same gas mix. I think this will be my last dolmar I ever buy PERIOD--- I have never had this many problems with a new saw:dizzy: Oh yea, I just sent 5 5100"s back to dolmar because of piston damage caused by paint coming off of the inside if the crankcase and the only had a few hours on each of them!!!!

Improper surface prep...

Then why is it showing up in one (geographical) area only?

Then why is it showing up in one (geographical) area only?

Time to track numbers and talk to other dealers that received saws in the same range. Also, time to talk to some dealers in the same region that received saws from a different range.

Would not wait on the rep., pigs could learn how to fly first. Good luck.

The picture does look like improper paint procedure and not the typical operator error. Operator error usually has at least a slight bubbling stretched look to the paint on the outer area around where the paint is missing.

Back