Dolmar problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky sawman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My NEW dolmar 9010 is showing some problems. When I turn the saw on it's side it leans out (speeds up) and when it is flipped up right it will stall out. I have checked the fuel hose many times, checked the tank vent, pressure and vaccumm tested (10psi for 8 minutes and 10 inhg mercury for 8 min). I have tried adjusting the carb without the limiter caps on it for at least a tank of gas. This saw isn't broken in yet!!! NOW I am questioning the tillotson carb model hs295a. I pressure tested the needle and I have no leaks at 15psi and a 17 psi pop off pressure, is that the correct specs????
I checked the pump diaphragm but it is perfect (NEW). I just rechecked the impulse pipe and fuel hose but both look and flow fine at all angles the saw is tilted.

Given all the tests you have done, it sounds like you might have a leaking welch plug. Tear the carb down again, clean the inside with a degreaser such as brake cleaner, and try applying a dab of nail polish over the welch plugs. This will seal the plugs if they are leaking. Good Luck!

If it only does it when you tip to one side and not the other, it could be a crankshaft seal. Whichever side is up when it speeds up, will be the bad seal.

If it only does it when you tip to one side and not the other, it could be a crankshaft seal. Whichever side is up when it speeds up, will be the bad seal.

remember, I have pressure and vacuum tested the saw. I even turned the crank and moved to saw around in various positions while doing so with no leaks whatsoever.

my 5100 would do the same thing--dealer installed a new carb boot UNDER WARRANTY and it runs fine now

If he has tested the crankcase pressure/vacuum properly, by removing the muffler and placing a sealing plate over the exhaust port, and by removing the air filter housing and placing a sealing plate with test port over the carburetor on the intake side, then this test would also indicate a leak in the carb.-to-cylinder boot.

MY opinion on dolmar is THEY SUCK. MY 9010 that has about 1.5 hr of use has paint flakes coming off the crankcase and causing damage to the piston and cylinder. I tested the gas and it has 9.8% ethonal in it. All of my huskys and jonnys dont have a paint chipping problem using the same gas mix. I think this will be my last dolmar I ever buy PERIOD--- I have never had this many problems with a new saw:dizzy: Oh yea, I just sent 5 5100"s back to dolmar because of piston damage caused by paint coming off of the inside if the crankcase and the only had a few hours on each of them!!!!

The 1050 i have still has ALL o fthe crankcase paint, even after pressure washing..

I have never run a Dolmar but i think they appeal to a certain crowd..

not professional.

remember, I have pressure and vacuum tested the saw. I even turned the crank and moved to saw around in various positions while doing so with no leaks whatsoever.
Sorry,
When I read your post I thought you had only pressure tested the carb. Does it actually change speeds when you tip it either way?

Back