Dolmar PS-420 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foche911

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere here Dolmar PS-420 two different HP ratings?
Maybe 2.7 and 2.9? Can't find the post about that now.
Assuming that correct, what changed and how to identify?
Also, opinions air filter setup on these.

420 2.7hp

421 2.9hp

I have no idea why.

My 420 has a nice mesh filter with a positive bale wire to secure it. I put an oring on the throat just because.

I don’t know about the 421, but the Makita ea4300 I saw two of has a felt filter and no bale wire. Not as good as my 420, imo. 420,421 made in Germany. 4300 made in China, but looks and feels the same (haven’t run one tho).

I doubt if the .2hp is a concern. Somehow the 421 specs a little heavier than the 420??

Someone around here knows all the details..

I think the 420 has a aluminum case where the 4300/421 has a mag case. Im sure the power difference is likely from one having different transfers quad open vs tripple open. I think they both have open transfers.

Just from memory the parts sheets have multiple pictures, some for European some for USA, maybe some changes as time went by. The hp numbers would be derived from kw and the round off will apply no telling how many decimals they start with. Again just from memory and most likely from stuff on here the USA 420 had some later parts than some European ones.

The way to tell the differences would be through the serial number not sure that is of any help. I will put in attachment a parts sheet I downloaded in 2013 might be too big as it is multiple language. I created the name it covers the 420/421.

The air filter seems good and does not seem to get much on it. I did not like a seam where two halves came together and put a piece of sports tape there it has not come off, maybe used some grease at the attachment point.

Attachments

• dolmar 351 parts 19932.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
If i remember correctly the 510 vs 5100s or 5105 was that way with aluminum vs mag. But yes i am guessing as i dont own any dolmar/makita saws. Either way im enjoying all the investigation that goes on here and figuring out why things are the way they are.

Back