Dolmar PS401 - no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Prepping it for tomorrow's outing, and it won't start. No spark getting to the plug.

Where do I get a service manual?

A PDF is preferable.

Unplug the shorting wire that runs from the kill switch to the magneto and check for spark again. If there is still no spark - bad magneto, if there is spark - good magneto but a short somewhere in the wire or switch.

Thanks DMShaver. Looks like a bad magneto or plug wire contact. Is the plug wire press-fit into the cdi, or molded into it? i.e. should I try to pull it out?

This saw just went out of warranty last month. Sigh.

The plug wire and magneto are one molded unit. DO NOT try to pull the wire out, as you won't be able to get it back in. Good Luck!

The plug wire and magneto are one molded unit. DO NOT try to pull the wire out, as you won't be able to get it back in. Good Luck!

The spark plug lead does screw out of the ignition module. Its is generally easier to just replace the module instead of trying to reroute the entire harness. Have done it that way many many times. Yes the failure rate of the ignition module has been more than I am comfortable with but the good news is the replacement modules have been just fine.

Scott

The spark plug lead does screw out of the ignition module. Its is generally easier to just replace the module instead of trying to reroute the entire harness. Have done it that way many many times. Yes the failure rate of the ignition module has been more than I am comfortable with but the good news is the replacement modules have been just fine.

Scott

Even the newer ones are srewed in? I know the older ones were removable, but I was thinking the newer modules were one molded unit.

I called the semi-local (65 miles) Dolmar dealer and was pleasantly surprised. Intelligent, articulate, and eager to help. He has the module in stock. And... it turns out my saw is still under warranty - I was assuming it was only one year, and it's two. So I'll UPS it to him and he'll take care of it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Followup

Thought I'd follow up on this. I sent the saw to K&S Service Center in Albuquerque, about 60 miles south of here. They tested the saw and found the problem was indeed an intermittent in the ignition module. So they replaced in under warranty. To my surprise, they also installed a new spark plug and air filter under warranty.

They finished the repair the day after they received it and shipped it back USPS parcel post, who then took 3 days to move a box 60 miles... sheesh. So much for the efficiencies of privatization. :)

So I'm very pleased with their service. The only mistake they made is the $10 "handling fee" they charged to ship it back, in the same box I sent it in, even. Not very cool. If I wanted to make certain that a customer would come back, I wouldn't throw such a steep fee at them without prior warning. I plan on sending them a letter with my check and give them a little lecture about it.

Thought I'd follow up on this. I sent the saw to K&S Service Center in Albuquerque, about 60 miles south of here. They tested the saw and found the problem was indeed an intermittent in the ignition module. So they replaced in under warranty. To my surprise, they also installed a new spark plug and air filter under warranty.

They finished the repair the day after they received it and shipped it back USPS parcel post, who then took 3 days to move a box 60 miles... sheesh. So much for the efficiencies of privatization. :)

So I'm very pleased with their service. The only mistake they made is the $10 "handling fee" they charged to ship it back, in the same box I sent it in, even. Not very cool. If I wanted to make certain that a customer would come back, I wouldn't throw such a steep fee at them without prior warning. I plan on sending them a letter with my check and give them a little lecture about it.
if your serious about the $10 "handling fee"there better off without you as a customer.

if your serious about the $10 "handling fee"there better off without you as a customer.

I'm quite serious. I have a retail business and do a fair amount of shipping, and I'd never do that to one of my customers, especially a new one, unless I told them beforehand. Would you? Maybe so. Ten bucks to put a saw back in a box and tape it up is ridiculous.

How sad (and unfortunate) that you, a Dolmar dealer, would post such an insult.

Last edited:
Had the same problem with mine about 6 months after puchase. Local dealer had the part in 1 day and fixed and back to me. Nice little saw and can't complain about the service

I'm quite serious. I have a retail business and do a fair amount of shipping, and I'd never do that to one of my customers, especially a new one, unless I told them beforehand. Would you? Maybe so. Ten bucks to put a saw back in a box and tape it up is ridiculous.

How sad (and unfortunate) that you, a Dolmar dealer, would post such an insult.
you find that sad and an insult-- hmmm. yah the dealer should have had a man box and tape up your saw then take it to a shipper, no charge. sugarbush is right.

you find that sad and an insult-- hmmm. yah the dealer should have had a man box and tape up your saw then take it to a shipper, no charge. sugarbush is right.

Well if you guys are business owners, I hope things are going well for you, because this is simply bad business. An unnecessary bad shadow on an otherwise great service. Customers hate charges being popped on them at the end. Last impressions are lasting impressions, you know. The dealer knew he would be shipping it back but made no mention of any fees.

Handling fee....doesn't UPS pick up as part of their services?

He said "USPS", so some poor fool may have stood in line at the post office, costing the dealer a lot more than $10 worth of productivity.

If I were the dealer, I would have called UPS, scheduled a pickup, and billed the UPS charge to either Dolmar or the customer.

Back