Dolmar PS420 air filter issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Myself and another AS member have recently been stung by this problem, so I thought it would be good to spell it out for others who are considering a PS420, whether new or used. (The PS350 is also affected.) Thanks to Steve at the Cutting Edge for helping sort this out.

Early 350/420's were supplied with a nylon mesh air filter. No fleece filter was available. Here's a link to a photo of the original filter:
http://schreiber-zweiradshop.de.css-web12.de/images/366391_aa.jpg

At some point (late 2009?) Dolmar redesigned the filtration system. This was not just a simple filter change. The hood, cover, and intake boot were also changed. Both nylon and fleece filters were offered. Early 350/420's can be upgraded by installing a conversion kit, part # 195173220. Cost of the kit is around $55.

If the nylon screen is good for your needs, then this change probably isn't a big deal for you.

But if you want or need the fleece filter, you absolutely must have the new filtration system.

Buying a new 350/420 is no guarantee that you're getting the new filtration system. Apparently there are still early version saws in dealer/distributor inventories. So ask your dealer and make sure your saw will have the new filtration system in it.

If you're buying a used 350/420 and you want the fleece filter, make sure it has one in it now or else you're looking at 55 bucks extra to get it.

Hope this helps. It's a great saw, but this little "gotcha" can cost you if you're not careful.

No Mike, not stung in that sense... just financially. For a saw in this size/price range, 55 bucks is a big deal, and the cost of the kit turns my "bargain" used 420 into not much of a bargain at all - I probably would have been better off buying a new 420, as long as it had the fleece filter in it. I cut only dead trees in a very dry environment, and consider the fleece filters to be a necessity.

Another user here just bought a new 420 off eBay and turns out he got an early one. So I'm just raising the caution flag here.

I understand.
Yes $55.00 does seem high.
You would think the factory would provide them at cost if you have a 420 that came without one.

Mike

It looks like the "original" mesh filter pictured here is the coarse winter version - that filter is of course not recommendable to use under dry and dusty conditions.......:rolleyes:

You would think the factory would provide them at cost if you have a 420 that came without one.

Yes, that would be nice, but not gonna happen...

It looks like the "original" mesh filter pictured here is the coarse winter version

It looks like a pretty fine mesh. But the amount of residue inside the filter when I got it was alarming. And the previous owner was in much more humid conditions and only cut live trees with it. So I'm not going to use it as is.

Maybe I'll try a pre-filter sack of some sort before making the plunge. Any ideas?

I'm the other newbie with a 420 w/ screen filter. I cut a small pickup load with it today in dry conditions and there was nothing on the filter or inside it. I think I'll figure out something else before dropping $55 on the fleece kit. I'm cheap and inventive.

Since I was the one who was making such a big fuss about this, I thought I should post an update. I ran the 420 all day yesterday with the original mesh air filter, cutting all dead wood. I just took the filter out, the outside is filthy, as it should be. Opened it up and the inside of the filter is very clean, just as it should be.

So, I was making much ado about nothing. No need to run out and buy the fleece kit.

By the way, the PS420 is an excellent saw. "Hungry in the wood" in the same way the 5100 is. The 401 and 5100 will see less use, no question.

Since I was the one who was making such a big fuss about this, I thought I should post an update. I ran the 420 all day yesterday with the original mesh air filter, cutting all dead wood. I just took the filter out, the outside is filthy, as it should be. Opened it up and the inside of the filter is very clean, just as it should be.

So, I was making much ado about nothing. No need to run out and buy the fleece kit.

By the way, the PS420 is an excellent saw. "Hungry in the wood" in the same way the 5100 is. The 401 and 5100 will see less use, no question.

I've had ZERO problems with the 420 filter.
Man what a nice little saw!
Still like my 401 though!!!

Mike

Still like my 401 though!!!

I like mine too, but if I start out using the 401, I'll encounter a few things that are a tad too big for it and have to get out the 5100. The 420 can handle those. It's the perfect one-saw program for softwoods.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna sell the other two, though! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back