Dolmar Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys know about Dolmar saws? I have a dealer just down the road. My brother in law has 2 and just loves them. I am looking at the model PS- 540( 54cc 3.0hp. 12.5k rpm, 10.4lb. dry wt. $360) They seem to be a very well engineered high quality saw made in Germany. All I seem to see on this forum is Husky and Stihl but this saw seems to be in the same class as those. Anyone have any experience/ opinions on these saws? Thanx.

sachs-dolmar made really good saws in my book - these were the old dolmars - they are great saws. however looking at a back of a tractor trailer last week there were some new dolmars coming from a distributor - and the boxes said that they were made by makita - i found this very disheartening...i would guesstimate them as mid level saws today but i havent used them - just looked at the specs.:)

Thanks Tundraotto, however, These saws are made FOR Makita BY Dolmar not vise-versa. I'm not sure why the Sachs part is no longer part of the name unless Dolmar is using another engine.
These saws are German. ( Not that it means anything Huskyman)

Howdy,

Basically, I'd rate Dolmar saws as generally more apt to last longer than the major brand competitive saws in a price range.

There are a couple problems however:

Dolmar has a reputation for antivibe mounts that go away prematurely due to dissolving in our USA gasoline. I found that several of these can be substituted by the rubber mounts off of the old 2100 Husqvarna. Presto, the problem goes away.

Secondly, The Makita brand thing makes for an old traditional worry in the industry. What happens when the marriage is over? How do you get parts when you find you have a model number the parts suppliers have never heard of? Just look at John Deere right now, with many thousands of saws out there made by Echo! (And darn few good Echo saw servicing dealers around). In the consumer market of weekend woodcutters, a good saw like Echo, will last decades, assuming it's cared for and parts can still be had. Most branded lines are most certainly not going to be interested in stocking parts for a quarter century!

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks Walter I appreciate it. Just to clarify, The saw I am looking at is a Dolmar branded saw. I agree completely with your statement about Makita possibly becoming an "orphan" and I would not buy one. I simply have $350 or so to spend on a saw and am trying to determine which one is best for me. I am primarily cutting firewood with my buddies and wouldnt hear the end of it if I bought something that was not a Stihl or Husky and couldnt keep up.:eek: :angry:
Thanks again

Howdy,

Don't get too carried away thinking that it is the saw motor that cuts the wood. In reality, it is the chain. If you learn to file correctly, pefectly, basically you can't be beat. (Assuming the motors are at least within reason of the class of each other!).

The old timer who taught me used to say: "Look at the other guys chain, and then do just what you have to do to beat him. There is no such thing as a chain that can not be beaten!"

I used to use an old 797 McCulloch for my demonstrator when demonstrating chains to the Northwest loggers. They of course were using the big Husky's and Stihl's. I just wanted to make the point, and at the same time not get involved in any Ford Vs. Chevy arguments.

In South America, I used a 680 Shindaiwa, demonstrating in a market where the 070 Stihl was the standard saw, and out cutting them in some rather huge wood. The guys were amazed, and after getting their attention, they would show up for a meeting in the evening where I explained how they could make the job with that 070 a whole heck of a lot easier and less costly. Then FIESTA! (Terrible beer). In return, I learned the neatest and most useful trick for freehand ripping planks.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks again Walter. I should have added "and didn' break down " to my comments about saw performance.:D

Fast chain

Hello Walt,
Properly filed chain will definately put you in the winners circle but the best filed chain and the saw motor thats prepared the best will be the winner. the two go hand in hand
We have a fellow down here named Art Martin. He builds racing chain and racing hand bucking saws . been doing it for 45 years and his chain and bucking saws are among the fastest out there. some competitions his chain are on the 1'st, 2'nd, and third place saws. We have to have more horsepower built in our saws to finish ahead of his chain. We need to have you both build us a chain and run it on the same saw and see what happens. why don't you file us up a chain and send it down to us to try against uncle Art's chain. If not maybe we can run them off at dennis's clearwater revival

Dolmar makes excellent saws. The marriage with Makita helps with parts and service.

I have a DCS401 and for the price, it's far, far superior to an equivalent priced Stihl. (more power, less weight, and professional saw features)

(tidbit: Dolmar produced the first gas powered chain saw, Sihl's first saw was electric.)

i have a sachs-dolmar 153 and the thing is an animal. i would say that it would eat a stihl 066 for lunch and then some. i would put that saw in to use for the big timber and she takes it and runs with it.

My Sachs-Dolmar 120si is awesome...While I have had some trouble getting parts (the rubber dampers), everything else has been a breeze (maintenance, for instance). This saw screams!! The good thing is that I bought it for forty bucks on ebay!

Lane Parsons

:D

120 sacks

Hello laneparsons,
Wow! 40 dollars was a really good price. the 120si is really a super fast saw. when they ran the 4 cubic inch class everyone ran them. then someone figured out they were4.1 cubic inches. after that they all used them for the obstacale pole race. thats where they time you as you run up a 12-15 inch log thats about 6 feet in the air, start your saw and cut off a round, shut off your saw , run back down the log without falling off. thats when they click off your time. the 120si was the saw of choice. the sacks-dolmar 120 si was an exceptional saw

ken dunn

Wow...that is interesting...I am just a small time landowner, and I really just play with chainsaws more than I actually use them for work (i cut the occasional tree at home, or for a friend)...the thing i like most about the saw is the ease of maintenance...it is very easy to work on...and it really does rip!!!!

Thanks for the interesting info...!!!!

Lane

Hey all, the only experiences I have had with Dolmar saws has been very positive...my father sold them when I was in high school..mostly 133 and 166's..I still remember everyone liking them...and I almost have enough parts to build a new 166...but that will have to wait until after my two Jonsereds are ready...

sacks-dolmar 166

hello dennis,
well if you have all the parts you'll just have to build that puppy. most of the loggers that ran them said they had more stump power than any of the saws available, the090 stihl, the mac,s homelight 2100's . they have small transfer ports but if you open them up and add 2 boosts and increase the exhaust and intake port timing they run strong

Still havent recieved the last parcel

ken

Ken..I will definitely be looking at it...but for now I have too many projects on the go as it is..have my Jonsereds...a 394...my 2171...and have to build another 385 before I leave on Thursday..oh yeah..and my month end and year end paperwork that I look forward to so much...

Happy Holidays All!

Dennis

Hello dennis,
Some people would complain if you hung them with a brand new rope. Ha Ha Keep up the good work and get those dual 2095's ready for the clearwater revival.
Ken

hey Dennis,

keep us updated on the Jonsered...I own two of those (525 and 630 super). both of these saws are easy to work on, also (with the exception of having to remove a screw on the starter side of the saw to remove the chainbrake and clutch cover on the 525 - my only complaint about this saw)...but then again, i am just a casual user, not a pro!!!

Lane

:cool:

DAVEFR,I THINK THE BAILEYS SAW IS A SOLO.i HAVE A DOLMAR 120 SUPER AND A 166 THAT NEEDS AN IGNITION.BOTH HAVE BEEN GREAT SAWS,JUST DON'T USE THEM MUCH ANY MORE.:D Dan

Latest posts

Back