Dolmarketing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So the Dolmar reps are trying to take advantage of the current product interuption with us Jonsered dealers and they are contacting us in the hope of signing up a few new Dolmar dealers. Nothing wrong with that; half the battle in sales is finding opportunities to take advantage of. But ya gotta have an intelligent plan when doing this.

In our case we dropped Dolmar about 5 years ago, cause they weren't moving all that well. We sold some units, but the key is that we weren't selling more units. Any Dolmar we sold could just as easily been a Husky or Jonny. And they naturally required their own parts support, where Jonny and Husky just about all came out of the same parts cabinet. So, we just let it go.

So about 6 months ago, the Stihl dealer down the road adds Dolmar. And I'm talking just a 1/4 mile down the road. So, like us he'll probably sell a few saws, but he'll more than likely just be selling them to guys who would have bought Stihls.

Now here's the point of the story. The Dolmar rep calls us yesterday with a hard sell on adding Dolmar. We tell him, TWICE, that they have a dealer a 1/4 down the road and it doesn't faze him a bit. Still wants us to put Dolmar in the store. "We'd love to have you bring 'em back in." These guys just don't have a clue. As a dealer, the last thing I want to deal with is a supplier that would open up a guy a 1/4 mile down the road from me.

Comical thing is that an hour after that phone call, I drive past the other dealer to get some lunch and his sign out front says "Dolmar Blowout". Probably just what he ought to do.

Yep,did the same thing here.Set up new dealer three miles from the existing one.

So the Dolmar reps are trying to take advantage of the current product interuption with us Jonsered dealers and they are contacting us in the hope of signing up a few new Dolmar dealers. Nothing wrong with that; half the battle in sales is finding opportunities to take advantage of. But ya gotta have an intelligent plan when doing this.

In our case we dropped Dolmar about 5 years ago, cause they weren't moving all that well. We sold some units, but the key is that we weren't selling more units. Any Dolmar we sold could just as easily been a Husky or Jonny. And they naturally required their own parts support, where Jonny and Husky just about all came out of the same parts cabinet. So, we just let it go.

So about 6 months ago, the Stihl dealer down the road adds Dolmar. And I'm talking just a 1/4 mile down the road. So, like us he'll probably sell a few saws, but he'll more than likely just be selling them to guys who would have bought Stihls.

Now here's the point of the story. The Dolmar rep calls us yesterday with a hard sell on adding Dolmar. We tell him, TWICE, that they have a dealer a 1/4 down the road and it doesn't faze him a bit. Still wants us to put Dolmar in the store. "We'd love to have you bring 'em back in." These guys just don't have a clue. As a dealer, the last thing I want to deal with is a supplier that would open up a guy a 1/4 mile down the road from me.

Comical thing is that an hour after that phone call, I drive past the other dealer to get some lunch and his sign out front says "Dolmar Blowout". Probably just what he ought to do.

It's clear as day the guy down the road isn't selling the units he, or his rep were hoping.
And the rep looked at your old numbers, and realized you 5 years ago were selling more than "East Coast Bailey's"
down the street.

My API rep. told me about them going after the Jonsered guys, and I joked about
them taking Dolmar from 6th place in the saw market to 5th place with this move.

A nearby dealer would be nice, 40 miles is the closest I have. I would buy one if I had a nearby dealer.

The terrible thing is that their products are pretty dang good too. But do they advertise at all????? NO! I have seen ZERO commercials for Dolmar products going into spring here... You'd think if they were pushing into the Jonsered market they would at least try to get some brand recognition out there. Echo has started to rebrand themselves with a marketing campaign as a "professional/commercial" brand. If people don't recognize the name they will be 60% less likely to buy it.

I've sold 4-5 6400-7900's already this spring to guys that have never heard of Dolmar. I told them to go look up those models online and see if they can find some bad reviews on them... Once they found only good reviews mostly they came back to buy one later.

I do have to point out that while they are trying to put 2 Dolmar dealers that close... Would you really put it past Stihl or Echo??? We have at least 12 Stihl dealers here in the Des Moines area. Not all of them come up on Google maps but I know of 12 places that carry Stihl. I also know several dealers that have switched to Dolmar since Midwest Supply switched to carrying Dolmar instead of Husky/Jonsered...

...As a dealer, the last thing I want to deal with is a supplier that would open up a guy a 1/4 mile down the road from me...

E X A C T L Y!!!!

Dolmar is a great line for someone looking to get into chainsaws. But for an established dealership, they are just going to canabalize sales from the other brand(s) you carry. With their low name recognition, few people are out seeking a Dolmar. Any that you sell likely would have been a sale of one of the established brand lured to Dolmar bc of pricing mostly.

Maybe they've got some statistic like 50% of our newly signed up dealers drop us within 2 years, so they're thinking that the more they have, the more will ultimately stick...

I doubt it but...

Here in our county there are at least a dozen Stihl dealers, only a couple Husky, several Echo and then there's me. I'm the only dealer from around Gainesville to Fort Lauderdale (and I've not seen a Pace rep since the change over, saw the Tilton rep every month or so). Pace says it'll be May before any units are available so I talked to the Dolmar rep. Started talking 18-22 units plus parts plus oils. At least he comes in regularly. His company also has B&S and a few other lines. Efco was only eight units any mix and the rep comes in every few weeks for the last three years. Large multi-line distributor. Did my research (a lot on this site) and now have Efco. My customers are mostly looking for price, typical for Ocala area. Still may go Dolmar, also, but primarily the 4 stroke trimmers/blowers/edgers/pruners. No Dolmar dealers nearby, but I worked for a company that sold and rented Sachs Dolmar back in the late 80's before the distributor went belly up. We converted to Husky and did really well (top retailer in SE for a while). Husky and Stihl want way too much investment and control. Not really sure I want to stay Jonsered with the way I've been treated.

Maybe they've got some statistic like 50% of our newly signed up dealers drop us within 2 years, so they're thinking that the more they have, the more will ultimately stick...

I doubt it but...

I guess me and the guy down the road can take turns and swap the line every couple years?

Another factor that needs to be considered is how long a dealer has had Jonsered and how many he has out out over the years. Well established dealers have a shared identity with the line and have hundreds of customers and saws that they have to continue to support. When the product glitch is over, things will go back to normal, and there's a fair chance that a line taken on in haste will become a back burner deal that you will quickly lose interest in. If a dealer never did much with Jonsered to begin with, then this isn't much of an issue and perhaps a fresh start would be worth a try.

But it must be kept in mind that just because a distributor or dealer has to make a change, it doesn't follow that your customers will go with you. There is some buzz out there that Tilton will anounce a new saw line within days. Don't have a clue to what it might be, but just because they need a new line, it doesn't mean that I do. I'm sticking with Jonsered. The same could be true of a dealer's customers. I have a list of people waiting on the 2253's and 2260's. They don't want the orange version, and they certainly don't want a Dolmar or whatever else. So, we all just gotta wait a little longer. :msp_rolleyes:

Intresting story,

What direction is dolmar going in the future and how many sub divisions are there going to be? It is owned by Makita or some entity with that trade name isn't it? What sort of chainsaws do they have in mind for the future.

What I am getting at might be understandable from the following.

I was at a place trying to get a trigger for a milwalkee electric tool. It was nla over in the repair part of the business so I bough a new one in the sales part. They kept asking what else can we get you. Since they had a husqvarna demo saw pictured in their flyer I tried to get a coil for my 51 chainsaw. Oh that is a totally different division. I see husqvarna has quite an industrial line, diesel jackhammer type compressors stuff like that. Where is Dolmar going and how many sub divisions there will be might be something to consider.

I wandered around the internet for dolmar chainsaw parts, current model, and some places have if not the best, among the best parts diagrams with click ordering. Pretty much comparable with bikebandit.com if you have ever gone there. There may not be much profit in dolmar as the prices quoted on this site are less than a local dealer by quite a bit.

Here in our county there are at least a dozen Stihl dealers, only a couple Husky, several Echo and then there's me. I'm the only dealer from around Gainesville to Fort Lauderdale (and I've not seen a Pace rep since the change over, saw the Tilton rep every month or so). Pace says it'll be May before any units are available so I talked to the Dolmar rep. Started talking 18-22 units plus parts plus oils. At least he comes in regularly. His company also has B&S and a few other lines. Efco was only eight units any mix and the rep comes in every few weeks for the last three years. Large multi-line distributor. Did my research (a lot on this site) and now have Efco. My customers are mostly looking for price, typical for Ocala area. Still may go Dolmar, also, but primarily the 4 stroke trimmers/blowers/edgers/pruners. No Dolmar dealers nearby, but I worked for a company that sold and rented Sachs Dolmar back in the late 80's before the distributor went belly up. We converted to Husky and did really well (top retailer in SE for a while). Husky and Stihl want way too much investment and control. Not really sure I want to stay Jonsered with the way I've been treated.

You should read the Edge and Engine thread on Efco saws... They got hammered by Efco not paying a full years worth of warranty work... just FYI...

Husqvarna, like Toro, has been on a buying binge. They have a construction division that has all sorts of concrete cutting/milling/demolition equipment. Toro has bought a couple of lines including Stone construction equipment. Pays to be a member of the American Rental Association.

Read the thread on Efco before making the deal. From what I read he waited too long to process the warranty claims. They DO have a time limit and it is not one year, like 30 days from the date of repair which is what Tilton was with Jonsered.

The rep is simply doing his job, signing up new dealers and as a result padding his commission check. His sole concern is signing up dealers and selling units, if he could have 2 vendors next door to each other and increase his sales he would do it.

Quantity doesn't always trump quality.

Husqvarna, like Toro, has been on a buying binge. They have a construction division that has all sorts of concrete cutting/milling/demolition equipment. Toro has bought a couple of lines including Stone construction equipment. Pays to be a member of the American Rental Association.

Stone's Equipment was built about 4 miles from me, and has hurt the town really bad 200+ jobs gone.

Most of the dolmar dealers around me basically are no longer in business or are no longer stocking dealers and just show up on the map and say that they will order what you want, if and when you want it.

If you look at the White River Junction VT and adjacent NH area, which has a good amount of people and a good amount of trees, over the last 4-5 years there were 3 dealers, now there are none.

The first was an alternator shop, the second was another car garage, and then they wound up in the hands of a dealer that had lost husky and soon went belly up. The dealership was ultimately run by a woman who seemed to know very little about saws, and said that people knew that dolmars were better saws from the way they just "rev right up" when you start them. I think she was talking about high idle, but that's neither here nor there.

The only way I see it working long term is with a dealership that has a real strong commitment to saws, and no other dominant saw lines, in an area where there is strong demand for saws. I don't think that dolmar's other offerings are strong enough to carry a dealer in the commercial weed whacker and blower markets.

It does always surprise me how many companies are motivated and try to get you as a customer in the short term, and then everything falls apart in the long term.

Completely different industry but I'm in an area where I can get cable, phone and internet from the phone company or the cable company. The bargain rate is $100 a month for all three, and you can have that rate for 1-2 years. Once your introductory year or two is up it hops up to $180 per month, non negotiably. Jump ship and go to the other company, get their $100 deal for a few months, and then the company you just left offers you a $100 deal and to buy off whatever contract you're in from the other one.

Worked a long time for a man who's philosophy was don't make a sale, make a customer. It meant knowing your product and being able to explain everything about it. Considering we were a rental and contractor/industrial supply company, that was a lot of stuff you had to know to be on the top of your game. Was with him for over 11 years until he sold out for stupid money in the late 90's. Company who bought it had no clue (they were a rigging company, never dealt with equipment or rental). Was the smartest man I ever worked for and learned a lot from him. Don't care what the place sells, you can't go wrong with a company that cares about customers and knows their stuff.

I doubt it but...

Actually you are correct. where I work we sell our product through exclusive agents. We sell more when we saturate the market withmore distributors, but know a % will fail. However we get more product out into the hands of consumers. consumers will come back to the survivors making them stronger. We sell more with3 surviving franchises selling smaller amounts than one dominant one

I too am curious about their lack of advertising. I love my 6401, but would not know about dolmars unless coming here and TDI Rick talking me in to trying one. A marketing guy I aint, but our sales guys say more franchises lead to higher sales in the same market. It is interesting in that Dolmar has long been critisized for availability. Maybe they are trying to remedy that. Now just put out some commercials!

The rep is simply doing his job

Hardly. His job is to develope a territory by building a dealer base that can achieve some sustainable momentum. The flee market approach never accomplishes this. He'll never have a dealer base; he'll just run around selling "door to door" style until he's out of a job.

Latest posts

Back