Done with red tacky bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use old Landry soap jugs(cleaned out well of course)with the nozzle to hold my bar oil. right now theirs a mix of cheap red bar and chain oil(motomaster summer oil from Canadian tire) and whatever other small bottles I had plus about 1/8 quart of new SEA 30. When a jug runs empty I set it upside down to let the rest settle down and then throw it in the laundry soap jug.

and, for those of this thread who are NOT professionals.........you homeowners with a cheap saw, looking to trim the fat/cost at every turn........there is NO substitute for the correct guide bar oil.
For those of us who DO know about our chainsaws..... If you have ever serviced a POS that some cheap skate has run his oil changes thru, you know of what we speak.

Manual.......
Drain oil makes a mess for sure along with other negative effects.
Veggie oil is even worse in the mess department and is very hard to clean up.

$6.99 a gal at RK at regular price

View attachment 1012559
That is good bar oil. I normally use Itisca oil and not many brands are as good but this was the closest. TSC had it one time and now they dont. I cant stand TSC brand, it's too thin for summer. I mix Itisca and TSC brand in the fall/spring and then use TSC for winter. Any more TSC sells their crappy oil at $10/gal, it use to be $6-7 and the Itisca was $10/gal. Itisca is now $14/gal! Luckily I bought 8 gal of Itisca before the price hike. I'd rock that Xtreme all year long at that price.

That is good bar oil. I normally use Itisca oil and not many brands are as good but this was the closest. TSC had it one time and now they dont. I cant stand TSC brand, it's too thin for summer. I mix Itisca and TSC brand in the fall/spring and then use TSC for winter. Any more TSC sells their crappy oil at $10/gal, it use to be $6-7 and the Itisca was $10/gal. Itisca is now $14/gal! Luckily I bought 8 gal of Itisca before the price hike. I'd rock that Xtreme all year long at that price.
For cheap bar oils Walmart Supertech bar oil always worked well for me. Also used Cam2 and Poulan from Menards when it was on sale.
I have never had a bar oil not work well actually.

edited manually, meh...

Fresh canola oil not vegetable oil makes a huge difference under high heat conditions.
Used vegetable, used motor oil or used fryer oil is foolish especially in your oil tank on the saw.
Vegetable oil will become a polymer when heated or mixed with many other types of oil.

The mill bar oil in the hot summer vaporizing off the chain and rail isn't very tasty. Wearing a respirator in 100+ heat suck. I do avoid breathing the fumes and dust/chip by not milling on still air days. I do mill in shorts, no shoes and a Tshirt. Your still going to be covered in bits any way you look at it. Non toxic was a no brainer here.

$6.99 a gal at RK at regular price

View attachment 1012559
Good stuff. Used plenty of it myself and many others.
well, the unused oil hole will get plugged regardless of oil type, and the rails will get a slug down the middle almost instantly so?

One of the machine shops I worked at kept trying to get me to use the waste way oil out of one of the lathes its about the same stuff, but... its gone through the lathe, picked up who know how much junk, then sat in the coolant take for weeks to vacuumed out by a rotten old shop vack... I'd rather spend the money on stuff I know isn't going to jack up my oil pump and toast a bar and chain.
The cheap thing stuff doesn't do the trick if ya ask me, I cut 4-6 hours a day for the last 9+ years, only worn 1 bar out and it was a new Oregon POS.
Agreed for bucking and felling/falling.
It helps shed heavy saps and shows little wear on most of the metal bits imo.

Plus they pay for used cutting oil removal being it's under hazmat control at most commercial business places.
Oil laden with metal and who knows what for cutting or cleaning fluids that may have been added sounds like a disaster. Plus all the moisture it takes on isn't good.
Good advice up there imo.
I’ve done a fair amount of chainsaw milling. This is not where you want to skimp on bar oil. The process is hard enough on the saw, bar, chain, and operator. My 395xp was able to keep a 54” bar properly oiled when turned to max using good oil. I can’t imagine using cooking oil except for short bar scenarios.
For just oil money cost saying, agreed.
I've done a bunch of milling mostly large hardwoods. Once your actually milling very little canola oil flings off the sprocket nose.
Thinking 62 inch bar theirs lots of this style out there think people call them slabbing mills. A lot of guys use electric motors some use chainsaws some use 4 stroke engines. I need some 1/8 or 3/16 wall 2 inch square for the uprights I don’t think I have enough and I need angle iron for the track. Seeing what pops up for materials I seen some pallet racking that would have worked last year but didn’t have a use for it then.
With any oil milling my 084 needs to be in flood mode, button down, to keep the 60CSB wet all the way back to the power head and not smoking hot. All users of milling bars over 42" should be running an accessory oil feed system on the cutting side of the bar rail imho. More is better for less wear over time. Canola is none toxic and doesn't stain the wood very deep like petrol oil does.
and, for those of this thread who are NOT professionals.........you homeowners with a cheap saw, looking to trim the fat/cost at every turn........there is NO substitute for the correct guide bar oil.
For those of us who DO know about our chainsaws..... If you have ever serviced a POS that some cheap skate has run his oil changes thru, you know of what we speak.

Manual.......
Probably good advice for knobs and a newbie.
I won't touch those nasty things anymore or do general repair on a chainsaw for just that reason. The used or new veg oil mixed with who knows what and motor oil that just gums up the works and chews up the pump if not outright locking up the pump from sitting around.
I'll pass on that now days ;)
I use old Landry soap jugs(cleaned out well of course)with the nozzle to hold my bar oil. right now theirs a mix of cheap red bar and chain oil(motomaster summer oil from Canadian tire) and whatever other small bottles I had plus about 1/8 quart of new SEA 30. When a jug runs empty I set it upside down to let the rest settle down and then throw it in the laundry soap jug.
Any container that squirts and doesn't drip is a win like plastic ketchup and honey bottles. Your real advantage is not picking up any bits off the bottom. The clear plastic squirt type is an advantage because you can see the oil and the bits that might get in it.
Drain oil makes a mess for sure along with other negative effects.
Veggie oil is even worse in the mess department and is very hard to clean up.
Well said.

You can add tacifiers (sp) to many oils cheap enough but remember most are loaded with zinc or toxins. I've used them before and found that they are not needed most times when milling.

Pro tip:
Flushing out the virgin canola oil once your done by dumping the saw oil tank, adding regular bar oil, even Supertec, then cycling it out to the chain has had zero adverse effect on any power head I've used for milling. Sometimes the chain will stiffen up if the canola is in the link pins and it gets cold like under forty degrees. I do use canola now during the cooler months by keeping it warm then adding it to a warm power head. It's around eight bucks a gallon here on the east coast of the United States and sold everywhere. Cleanups hasn't been an issue but I keep my tools clean inside and out. If your not willing to do that you deserve the damage it can cause to a stiff pump or worm drive assembly. You don't learn this stuff over night.

Someone should be along shortly to bash all that.
Enjoy :)

With any oil milling my 084 needs to be in flood mode, button down, to keep the 60CSB wet all the way back to the power head and not smoking hot. All users of milling bars over 42" should be running an accessory oil feed system on the cutting side of the bar rail imho. More is better for less wear over time. Canola is none toxic and doesn't stain the wood very deep like petrol oil does.
Any container that squirts and doesn't drip is a win like plastic ketchup and honey bottles. Your real advantage is not picking up any bits off the bottom. The clear plastic squirt type is an advantage because you can see the oil and the bits that might get in it.

Well said.
I’m not using a chainsaw power head 20hp Briggs with a belt/pulleys to a jack shaft down to a chain sprocket. It will have an oil tank with feeds to the front and rear of the bar at the rear it will be above the oil hole and at the front drip directly to the chain. The whole mill will have a carriage on angle iron rails with a manual winch to pull it forward.

I’m not using a chainsaw power head 20hp Briggs with a belt/pulleys to a jack shaft down to a chain sprocket. It will have an oil tank with feeds to the front and rear of the bar at the rear it will be above the oil hole and at the front drip directly to the chain. The whole mill will have a carriage on angle iron rails with a manual winch to pull it forward.
I'm currently getting my thoughts together on about the same thing if I move up in bar size to an 84". Having a double feed independent oil system I've pretty much worked out separate from the power head. It will make the whole rig run much more stable oil temps with less issues. Not sure on the power head being two or four stroke. My brain says work up a small Vtwin four stroke rather than mess with mixed gas and other air filter issues. Plus the throttle and carb is bigger better and cheaper to maintain with a remote cable.

I'm currently getting my thoughts together on about the same thing if I move up on bar size to an 84". Having a double feed independent oil system I've pretty much worked out separate from the power head. It will make the whole rig run much more stable oil temps with less issues. Not sure on the power head being two or four stroke. My brain says work up a small Vtwin four stroke rather than mess with mixed gas and other air filter issues. Plus the throttle and carb is bigger better and cheaper to maintain with a remote cable.
I’m using a Briggs opposed twin that I got for nothing. But cheap lawn tractor/riders with these motors can be had for next to nothing.

I’m using a Briggs opposed twin that I got for nothing. But cheap lawn tractor/riders with these motors can be had for next to nothing.
I only found two opposing twin cylinder Onans that need a rebuild. Like you said a mower Vtwin is cheap and easy being a dime a dozen here in 22hp motors. Little nip here and parts swap there maybe some milling and boom I got a nice flowing motor that should make 26hp easy and retain the stock cam with plenty of grunt in the cut. Probably run good on old stale dead gas lol.

I only found two opposing twin cylinder Onans that need a rebuild. Like you said a mower Vtwin is cheap and easy being a dime a dozen here in 22hp motors. Little nip here and parts swap there maybe some milling and boom I got a nice flowing motor that should make 26hp easy and retain the stock cam with plenty of grunt in the cut. Probably run good on old stale dead gas lol.
I ren just about anything in my 4 strokes including old mix. But the later big briggs motors have a fuel pump with a diaphragm much like a 2 stroke carb.

For cheap bar oils Walmart Supertech bar oil always worked well for me. Also used Cam2 and Poulan from Menards when it was on sale.
I have never had a bar oil not work well actually.
Cam2 is actually great oil, in my experience. Summer & winter works well (Arkansas winter...LOL)

Looks like the general consensus here is thicker oil is better.But I will go back to my original post and just say that the saw and the bar just stay cleaner with 30w motor oil than with the red tacky stuff.My Makita is the only saw I have that will actually use a tank of oil to a tank of gas,so filling it up every time is no bother.But cleaning the crud out gets old.I do know a guy that cuts a lot of apple and hickory smoker wood and he only uses new cooking oil for the b/c just to keep the wood "safer". He says he has no issues . I have watched what gathers in cooking oil after a couple fryers full of shrimp and fries and would never try the used oil in a saw.

Cam2 is actually great oil, in my experience. Summer & winter works well (Arkansas winter...LOL)
Always heard they are good oil as well, Never used their bar oil.
However, I am leary of their products because I know of 4 2-stroke boat engines that failed, and the only thing they had in common was that they all used CAM2 2-stroke oil. I bought a tube of their marine grease once and it separated pretty quickly.

Looks like the general consensus here is thicker oil is better.But I will go back to my original post and just say that the saw and the bar just stay cleaner with 30w motor oil than with the red tacky stuff.My Makita is the only saw I have that will actually use a tank of oil to a tank of gas,so filling it up every time is no bother.But cleaning the crud out gets old.I do know a guy that cuts a lot of apple and hickory smoker wood and he only uses new cooking oil for the b/c just to keep the wood "safer". He says he has no issues . I have watched what gathers in cooking oil after a couple fryers full of shrimp and fries and would never try the used oil in a saw.
As far as wear goes to be honest I haven't noticed any differance between thick and thin bar oil. When I was logging I ran Walmart Supertech and never had a single issue with bars wearing prematurely.
Thicker oil will have a higher film strength and will fling off less easy.

Never noticed any difference in oils plugging or not plugging up the feed hole. Big difference in flow characteristics though.
Oregon bar oil was the thickest I found so far, kind of like thin gear oil, stank like it too. No tackifiers in it that I noticed. The preferred stuff for the old Homelites that oil like the Exxon Valdez.
Stuff that flows like 5-20 is what goes in the Stihls with their stingy oilers.
Regular Canadian tire bar oil works fine in the Husqvarnas.
New canola oil has great lubrication properties and it won't kill the lawn, but you're in for a world of misery if you forget to flush it out of your saw and let it sit in there for six months.
Different generations and brands of saws oil so differently, I found that I have the tailor the oil to the saw so it doesn't run out too soon or oil too little.

I usually run the supertech, its a little on the thin side but pumps more volume during cooler temps. This summer I grabbed a few gallons of the black max stuff and its pretty thick to the point im pulling the bar off to check and adjust flow from the pump in 90+ temps. I'll be adding 20% straight 30w to it from here on out and I do not like how dark it is in the tank.

I usually run the supertech, its a little on the thin side but pumps more volume during cooler temps. This summer I grabbed a few gallons of the black max stuff and its pretty thick to the point im pulling the bar off to check and adjust flow from the pump in 90+ temps. I'll be adding 20% straight 30w to it from here on out and I do not like how dark it is in the tank.
I just leave the oiler maxed out and don't worry about it.

Back