Don't Complain If You Are Too Lazy To Help Yourself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For about the last week one of the clerks at the local store has been complaining they are out of seasoned wood, finally I got tired of hearing it and offered him the opportunity to go cut some standing dead ash and oak from one of my properties, I explained it is easy in and out and there is a driveway...easy picking. He said he was not interested even after I said it would be free, just help yourself. I don't understand how someone can whine and then not help themselves.

For about the last week one of the clerks at the local store has been complaining they are out of seasoned wood, finally I got tired of hearing it and offered him the opportunity to go cut some standing dead ash and oak from one of my properties, I explained it is easy in and out and there is a driveway...easy picking. He said he was not interested even after I said it would be free, just help yourself. I don't understand how someone can whine and then not help themselves.

Standing trees or even those down, are still not seasoned firewood. Not that free wood should be spurned of course, but if you need burnable wood today, trees aren't going to provide that

It sounds like they would rather have you cut and deliver the wood to them. To many people want someone else to do the work, that's one of the things that needs to be cured in this country. I have no idea how to do this, just sayin.

Some people are just born to whinge! If he wasn't out of wood he would probably be going on about how much yard space the wood pile was taking up :rolleyes2:

It sounds like they would rather have you cut and deliver the wood to them. To many people want someone else to do the work, that's one of the things that needs to be cured in this country. I have no idea how to do this, just sayin.

Let'm all freeze to death, problem solved.

Never complain about what you permit! Next time tell him you just want him to assist with checking you out and to "Shut Up" complaining about what he's unwilling to address! I bet if you told him you had some wood you would drop off & stack for free...he would have been IN like FLYNN!:clap:

A friend of mine called me Saturday and asked me if I had any extra seasoned wood. ( he ran out). I reminded him that I have asked him repeatedly to come out and cut with me. I cut up lots of dead and down from my woods this winter that burned just great. (lots left out there too) I asked him to go scrounging with me, (to no avail) etc. His excuses have ranged from (his words)
1. I'm too busy
2. Feeling lazy today
3. I don't feel very good
4. I'm hungover
Now, I have suffered from all of these from time to time in my life, but have tried to take care of business when it's needed. I offered to sell him some of my stash and he got a bit bent.
Oh well, if you are gonna be the grasshopper and not the ant, expect some cold days and nights. jus sayin

A friend of mine called me Saturday and asked me if I had any extra seasoned wood. ( he ran out). I reminded him that I have asked him repeatedly to come out and cut with me. I cut up lots of dead and down from my woods this winter that burned just great. (lots left out there too) I asked him to go scrounging with me, (to no avail) etc. His excuses have ranged from (his words)
1. I'm too busy
2. Feeling lazy today
3. I don't feel very good
4. I'm hungover
Now, I have suffered from all of these from time to time in my life, but have tried to take care of business when it's needed. I offered to sell him some of my stash and he got a bit bent.
Oh well, if you are gonna be the grasshopper and not the ant, expect some cold days and nights. jus sayin

Amen...In the summertime...the ant has wintertime on his mind! :msp_thumbup:

I hear you. For the past few years I have supplied my BIL/SIL with wood. Since I have a large truck, I've always delivered it to their house, 65 miles one way. When I have delivered in the past my BIL has always had somewhere he had to be, and my SIL and I ended up unloading and stacking the wood.This year, I told him if he wanted wood, he would have to help me split and haul it himself. Since he has a 1/2 ton short bed truck, he didn't think it was worth his time or gas to come out, help and haul. When my SIL found out why she didn't have wood this year, there was hell to pay. He had told her that I wasn't going to share any more. Our wives are sisters and talk every day. I can't believe he thought he'd be able to get away with the story.
Oh yeah..........he doesn't work either.

Ayatollah there is alott of standing dead ash and elm that is well under 20% moisture. i just went down and picked up 10 chunks of ash I cut down on Friday. Will split it and chuck it right in the fire.

that was a great offer i would have been all over, you did what you could. i am kicking into next years supply since it has been cold enough, not a big deal though and the family stays warm since i was a good ant over the last few summers. about time to start getting busy for the next year or so of supply.

There is at least five or six standing dead ash that are like telephone poles they could drop, quarter and burn today, there is also a nice oak I dropped last year that is ready to go.

Yup... talk is cheap. :)

Couple years back a coworker asked if he could come out to our place and drop a tree in the woodlot. He has a wood burner in his shop. I said sure, come on over anytime. There's a decent red oak he could have, around 18" at the base and easy to get to. One tree ain't gonna break me.

Weeks went by and I never saw him. Asked if he was gonna come out and get the tree. He said he'd driven by the house recently and decided he didn't want to fuss with it because, as he put it there were too many trees, too close together.

Huh? :confused: I've been cutting over there for two years and haven't had any problems. I wrote it off, figured he was just too lazy to follow through.

Bet if I had it all split and stacked by the driveway he'd come by and get it. :D

I had a couple cord a few years back that was dry but not the best. Didnt want to sell to my customers. Told three buddies they could have it. Ieven had a skidsteer to load it each came an got one load. Said that was enough they were busy. All three are under 40. Neighbor down the road in his seventies came and hauled it buy had in a little trailer. Sold them all wood the next year when they ran out. All three have wood lots and splitters.

My long term plan is to sell off the nine acre woods part after I pull out some firewood for myself and dig out all the nice pine trees for replanting. Too bad there is not some local AS members that could help themselves before I sell, I'd rather see someone get the wood.

Are you sure you were't talking to my brother-in-law? :dizzy:

I hear you. For the past few years I have supplied my BIL/SIL with wood. Since I have a large truck, I've always delivered it to their house, 65 miles one way. When I have delivered in the past my BIL has always had somewhere he had to be, and my SIL and I ended up unloading and stacking the wood.This year, I told him if he wanted wood, he would have to help me split and haul it himself. Since he has a 1/2 ton short bed truck, he didn't think it was worth his time or gas to come out, help and haul. When my SIL found out why she didn't have wood this year, there was hell to pay. He had told her that I wasn't going to share any more. Our wives are sisters and talk every day. I can't believe he thought he'd be able to get away with the story.
Oh yeah..........he doesn't work either.

Are you sure you don't have my BIL? :laugh:

Latest posts

Back