Don't do this!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After several hours of chopping logging road through 6 and 7' tall grass and weeds,

road_zpsqnealwuz.jpg

weeds_zpstsid0bex.jpg

I am after that tree in the background.

The next to last thing I did was light off a brush pile and sit on tail gate admiring how well it was burning.

The last thing I did was drive off leavign the hookeroon leaning against a bunch of tall grass next to the brush pile. Got home and didn't see it in the truck. Mental recap recalled where it was. Pictured what would happen. Yep, grass burned and it fell into the fire.

hookeroon_zpsaa19obor.jpg

I'll dtake some steel wool to it then wrap the grip with gorilla tape.

I admire you determination. Given the view of the background it would not appear that there are perhaps as many trees as there are in these parts where a man can pick and choose what to cut or leave.

Looks like a good place for something like this....(not mine)999.jpg

That stiff sux compared to the spray from a gun but it would get the job done. The stuff I use is called Al's Liner. It is a 4 part system and once you mix it you have about 20 minutes to get it sprayed or it sets up in the gun and it is tough as nails and nice rubbery grip

That stiff sux compared to the spray from a gun but it would get the job done. The stuff I use is called Al's Liner. It is a 4 part system and once you mix it you have about 20 minutes to get it sprayed or it sets up in the gun and it is tough as nails and nice rubbery grip

That sounds just like the coating that burned off. Thanks.

I admire you determination. Given the view of the background it would not appear that there are perhaps as many trees as there are in these parts where a man can pick and choose what to cut or leave.

Looks like a good place for something like this....(not mine)View attachment 505594

That's what I was thinking about 30 minutes after I started.

This country was 90% grass land and is now 95% farm land, even on 45 degree slopes. Only native trees here were in the bottoms, willow, cottonwood, spruce, pine and the like. There were no "good" hardwoods. I'm working on clearcutting an old, dying row of willow about 1/2 mile long. That area is an old beaver dam site, Farmers grandad planted the willow back about 1904 and later they got rid of the beavers. Trees are all dying and falling into the cropland, farmer wants them all disappeared. I use some to mix in with my locust (that is also non-native here). I also sell willow at $120/cord. It is pretty good firewood IF one is willing to feed the fire often.

In your first picture there are tall weeds with white flowers and big leaves; They look like wild parsnip to me. If the sap from this plant gets on your skin and is then exposed to ultraviolet rays, it can cause severe burns and scarring. Maybe it's just Queen Anne's Lace, a look-a-like that isn't harmful.

In your first picture there are tall weeds with white flowers and big leaves; They look like wild parsnip to me. If the sap from this plant gets on your skin and is then exposed to ultraviolet rays, it can cause severe burns and scarring. Maybe it's just Queen Anne's Lace, a look-a-like that isn't harmful.

I asked for an ID on another site and was told Queen Anne's lace. This stuff has big hollow stems some up to 2" I haven't been bothered with that stuff but the stinging nettles leave my arms burning for a couple days - way too warm to wear a shirt.

That would have been easy work with a proper bruschcutter.

True but one uses what one has. I was out again today mostly cleaning up deadfall around that tree, more weed mowing but a few minutes cleared my working area and a spot to fall a small stem into. Left with every thing around that tree cleared up, the small stem limbed out and ready for bucking. It's gonna take my 441 with 32" bar to fell that tree, estimate around 3' diameter. The next one right behind it will go around 4'.

Latest posts

Back