"Don't start"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
A guy brings me this trimmer that he can get started. I'm having a little trouble finding the problem. Are there any chronic issues with these? I have included a picture for you guys to help me identify the model.........

attachment.php

Is that really why it would not start?

I have zero experience with those little trimmers or with mud daubers, but I do believe that if you look at the right side of the pic you can see where the exhaust in the muffler is plugged up with mud.

An old friend of mine kept his 08S in an old milkbarn.Called me,said the thing was locked up.Started trouble shooting,pulled top handle off and saw the mud daubers nest at edge of cylinder.Finally got the recoil off and found the nest covered the top third of the flywheel and up to the top of the cylinder.Almost completely filled the recoil cover.I can tell you that is some tough stuff to get off,like concrete.Did he store the saw somewhere else after that? No, he just put a box over it from then on.

Last edited:
Mice are something else you have got to watch out for on air cooled small engines. They like to build nests inside the shroud covers that completely block the air flow from cooling the engine. The motor over heats, the oil breaks down, then the crankshaft & bearings & piston(s) say "goodbye". It"s amazing the amount of damage something so small can create.

Latest posts

Back