Double dog for 272XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out which dog I want to add on my 272XP at the chainbrake/cover side.

Stoch I have a 3-claw dog on the carter of my 272XP. The original chainbrake/cover side of a 272XP is a 4-claw dog which you can also order for the carter side so they are even.

The 3-claws are seen as felling-dogs, the 4-claws as ???

I have seen people placing, I think aftermarket, 3-claws on the chainbrake/cover side of 272XP's and 268's so I'm thinking about ordering one of those (if I can find the right one) instead of ordering 2x 4-claw which is less rough as well. The hape of those 3-claws seem to be the same as the carter ones.

Any ideas on what is advisable at all ?

The reason I want the second dog is because of felling trees with 60cm+ bars.

I put the four point spikes on all my 266 saws you can still get the OEM ones. Husqvarna use to offer a outer three point spike but they’re no longer available.

Yes sounds like what I expected, sad they are not longer available.

Were it the ones that had amounting hole for a bolt as well or not ? As I wasable to find some 268 ones which didn't had that bolt hole but looked the same as the 3 pointers at the innerside.

Follow the other tagged post, @Bob Hedgecutter to photos.

Just in case, more below.

I can get your international shipping label ready, I presume.

View attachment 1110544
Just curious, why titanium? It’s highly used in the aerospace, and aircraft industry for , high tensile, and heat , lightweight material, just doesn’t seem that feasible in this application?

Got mine a few days ago. Yes they’re expensive but even the pro safety dogs are over $80 dollars after tax and shipping. And they’re way too big in my opinion, take up too much usable bar length. Not a lot of aftermarket spikes for the old husky 61/266 saws these days. I like the design of the Ti spikes. Not overly large and fit like a glove.
IMG_0337.jpeg

Alloys:

Stainless steel would probably be another good option, but again, it is pretty heavy like the cheaper steels.
Aluminum would be light, but not as durable, kinda soft.
Regular steel is good, and cheap.
Heat treated steel is a great option also. There are great dogs already available for a lot of saws.

This grade 5 or Ti-6Al-4V also does the job.
Maybe there are better alloys like Inconel or Hastelloy or something, but I didn't look for those.

This item is focused on wants, not needs.
I wanted spikes for my 266, so I made some. I wanted light weight to help give the older saw every weight advantage possible. The Ti set weighs 5.5 ounces, and I didn't do any fancy holes or cutouts. Granted there is not a huge weight savings to be gained with replacement dogs, but a little, and my saw only had the OEM inside dog - I wanted both dogs. I also wanted a shape that fit better. Some outside dogs I see have huge gaps between the back of the dog and the clutch cover. I wanted better fit and finish.

Thanks Ballistic Doughnut for the vote of confidence.
I like mine, too, and have been using them. They work.

Latest posts

Back