Double whip tackle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Could someone explain what a "double whip tackle" is, what it's applications are, maybe other common terms for this setup. How do you guys use it and in what situations? What gear is needed to build and run it? I may know what it is but under a different name. Thanks, Steve.

The DWT name was found in nautical rigging.

In our usage the working end of the rope is anchored then run through a block at another point so the the line runs ove the work area. A pullu or biner is place on the line so that the load can be attached.

This can be used a number of operations such as where a single rigging point can not be set atover the work, or where you want to rig up high enough that you feel you need to share the load between two points.

In normal rigging operations you need a rope that is greater then twice the distance to the rigging point. With DWT it needs to be greater then 3 times. Dont want the groundie holding ontop the rope end with the load still off the ground!

If you ask Mike Maas nicely he may dray a few varients.

Thanks for the drawing, I've used that several times before, didn't know what to call it. I like the mechanical advantage advantage you get with it, but you lose it as the load is raised. Can you think of any more advanced variations of that? Thanks, Steve.

It's funny the topic dwt would come up at a time Sherrill's has cmi pulleys on sale at 20% discount off their regular price. This would be a good time to invest in some pulleys and give this rigging configuration
a good trial run.

equipment needed:

2 rescue pulleys with as large a sheave diameter as possible for the type of rope being used

2 carabiners-steel screw lock will work

Rigging sling for rigging point pulley-a whoopie sling will work. Set it up so the pulley can twist as the rope rotates or you'll ruin a pulley.

rigging slings for load attachment, any slings Sherrill sells

extra-long work line

The dwt in the tree industry is a rigging configuration that creates a 2:1 mechanical advantage by employing the use of an extra pulley in raising or lowering limbs and wood. The power comes from the extra floating pulley which divides the line in half. Essentially, there ends up being 2 legs of line to hold the load.

With the dwt you 1)reduce all loads in the rigging gear. 2)incorporate more line in the rigging system which is always welcome. 3)reduce the speed of lowering which in turn reduces rigging point stresses during that time. 4) your ground people don't need to worry as much about burning their hands to control load decent. 5) you'll get a kick out of seeing the look on the ground peoples faces when they use it for the 1st time, especially the experienced guys.

The system is not infallible and has a few problems of it's own. The parts of the rope with the floating pulley tends to twist on itself adding friction to the system. The only real remedy is to take the system apart, remove the twists, and set the system back up. Do I find it worth the trouble? Yes I do. There are more benefits to using this system than pitfalls.

Here's a link given to me by Tom Dunlap which shows the double whip tackle(dwt):

http://www.alberta-ck318.freeserve.co.uk/tackles.htm

Have fun with this one.

Joe

Hey Mike,

Trying to get some blood flow to the head, eh?

Beats drinkin' on the job, i reckon!

Better get Kwotica to pencil in some stomach rip to help u regain uprighticity.

Gotta love (and appreciate) your drawing and ideas.

Now try rapping out inverted, as my demented head tried friday.

...back to the padded cell........

Rog

I agree with Joe on this one!

DWT can do things that a standard single block can't. I prefer to use it in most of my rigging. Depending on where you place the two anchors, your landing zone is established. It's added Mechanical Advantage aids in pretensioning the line, or lifting the limb(DWT(2/1) in tree-(4/1) or Rachet at base). The DWT can also be re-directed easily with a double-pulley choked off by a rigging strap. The Hockling or twisting above the floating pulley can be reduced by using a rated swivel at the dead-end. The dead-end can also be carried around in the tree to be reset for desired landing zones(like a traveling re-direct). I like clipping a large rigging plate to the floating pulley end for multiple straps. I try to balance out the limbs with two or three straps, and triangulate them into the plate. This lets your limbs come off clean and balanced(most of the time!) and decreases load on the system, plus it's always nice to know the limb is strapped by a two or more slings(just in case!). Tag-lines can also be added easily to the plate.
One thing is for sure, you don't want to rig wood off of it-self with DWT! The Standard single block slam dunk is still king for this. I think the extra pulley adds distance to the fall of the piece which would be more load, or so I think! Never the less, the pulleys can become cross-loaded or twisted in the fall which may be disaster. It works if everything is set perfectly in-line and there is no slackin the system from the bottom of the main anchor to the attachment on the above piece. I still prefer single blocking wood off of itself!
This system has made my work alot easier and allowed me, and my crew to do jobs safer and faster. I remember afew jobs that could of only been done using DWT. Glad I learned it! I do have a few pictures of DWT that I could e-mail upon request, and get some of the CMI pulleys for 20% off before I buy 'em all!

Rigging it Down,
X-man

What's the deal with those CMI pulleys anyway?
Some are steel some are aluminum. Some are rated 10,000 lbs some are much less. Some have bushings, some have bearings. I'm so confused...they all look the same.
Does the rating come from the cheek plates, the size of the axle, or the type of bearing/bushing?

When I overload one of these light/med. pulleys I see the cheek plates bend where they hook up to the carabiner. Although, I have a couple CMI pulleys with fried bushings.

Mike, there are 3 2.37" pulleys that I am aware of, and have each.

The only one rated at 10000 lb has steel cheeks. There are two alum. cheeked models, one with lexan, one with alum, sheaves. I dont think any of these have bearings. i have a four inch SMC with bearings, which aren't as good in gritty conditions. Plus it runs with no resistance, if you forget to tie off an unattended line, it may well zing its way out!!

I've never deformed the cheeks from overloading, but once twisted an aluminum one, which messed it up a bit. I've seen a four inch CMI pulley toasted from slam dunking wood onto it. Not the tool for that!!

Gonna get another 5/8 CMI from Sherril's and maybe a few more.

Anybody think of a use for the new double mini pulley?

Watch tackle for asecnding while dead dog tired?

Prusick it as high as possible on the line, run through a single on harness put friction device on

luff.gif

MAybe someone else can adapt the sailing smack graphic.

hauling heavy loads into the tree with a WT.

I cannot see any rigging due to the bend ratio.

I like the steel CMI pulleys with bushings for rigging(seem to take more abuse), aluminum with bearings for climbing(bearings give great action, and mainly used in cleaner areas). They make the double-ender single pulley which has attachment holes, top and bottom, great for running a 2/1 MA climbing system or a little extra pulling power for lifting. We used DWT once with our Hobbs to lift all of one side of a white oak up and over in pieces and back down into a small dropzone via tag-line. The limbs overhung and actually touched in some spots the OLD spanish tile that was formed on indians thighs! It was really cool, wished I could of speed-lined it instead, but there was No Access. DWT saved the day, and made it happen....

I would like one of those new CMI double pulleys that Sherrill is going to have for a retrievable re-direct I have for my climbing system. It would be perfect!
I'll see if I can get the pic's off the site and post them here!

Hope this Helps,
X-man

In adden-dumb- the 2/1 advantage can be maintained high, if the anchors are close together; such as one; or even a dropeye. In a 3/1 or other odd/1; there is an odd leg on one side that can be used to pull to that side.

Mike's second pic that is pulling the limb up hill with truck;is 1/2 because it carries the pulley on the pulling force, that splits the input power between 2 legs, one of which is an anchor. Thus, the load will move 2x as far in the same amount of time as truck (faster), it will have 1/2 power of truck's pull in trade; ie 1/2ma;fractional mechanical advantage.

There are 3 basic positions: input,output and anchor. If the pulley is on the input it splits that power between load and anchor; the anchor 'consumes' 1/2 the pull(1/2power=1/2ma; 2x as fast in trade). If the pulley is on the load; it splits it's forcebetween input and anchor; the anchor is holding 1/2 the load(2xinput=2ma;1/2speed in trade). If the pulley is on the anchor (redirect) it splits it; with equal pulls on each leg (2xload=1mano speed or mechanical advantage). These figures assume 0 friction; though always present.

All these things can be explained by the Law Conservation of Energy; this law also defines why screws, ramps , levers, gears,impacting etc. Understanding this and friction can take you very far with motion studies

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back