Doug-fir "Gall"-- effect on tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsoundtree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A customer has a Doug-fir with what might be a "gall" circling the stem. I have a photo but can't get it to upload.

Its a mature Doug-fir psuedotsuga menziezii in the pacific northwest, Olympia WA to be exact. Its approx. 4' dbh and maybe 130' tall.

The "gall" is at about 2/3 height. The HOs don't know how long it has been there. I'd guestimate that the stem is approx 2' diameter at this point and the gall is 3' in diameter and two feet tall. Very bumpy and pitchy and circling the whole stem.

the tree seems to be in good health otherwise. Maybe some excavation for a septic tank 8 years ago, about 20-30' away, with the drainfield between the tank and the tree.

All and all, it looks to be in good health. The only other sign of possible irregularity is potential stress cone crop. It could be a regular cone crop as well.

The question is-- Does anyone have experience with "galls" on D-f. What structural implication does this have?

The people want to keep the trees around their house, which they expanded from a cabin 8 years ago.

Any and all leads are appreciated.

I can email a picture to anyone interested.

Thanks,

Sean

The "gall" could be from a bacteria called Agrobacterium pseudotsugae. The stimulus that causes the bacteria to accumulate and activate is unknown. There is no treatment and spread is unlikely. It could also be nothing more than a genetic anomoly. If the branch/tree health doesn't seem to be affected, I would leave it. If they are one of those "picky" HO's then prune out the branch.

Back