Douglas Fir - Not Exactly the Beach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A buddy called last week, a house near him was being demolished and a crew had been by and cut down ten large trees on the property as the first step. He had his eye on a couple pieces and wanted me to mill them up into slabs for him.

So I went out there one day with my mill and we went at a 10' length of Douglas Fir. He wanted 4" slabs, so we got several that thick, plus we managed to box the pith into a narrower 2.5" slab. Sorry only a couple of pictures.

IMG_6337_zpschibbecd.jpg

IMG_6339_zpsijtpu92u.jpg

It was tough slogging, for us and the saw. I started with a Husky 390 and then switched out to a 3120 for more power. Even the 33% larger 3120 was working hard. My buddy was originally hoping we would get 2 or 3 logs milled that afternoon, but by the time we were halfway through this log he realized we would only get one milled. Surprisingly slow going for a second growth softwood, but I don't have a lot of experience in the Douglas Fir.

Then after the milling was done came the problem of lifting these 10' long 4" thick slabs that were up to 30" wide! Quite a bit thicker and longer than I normally mill, and so a lot heavier than what I like to deal with. Between him and me and a neighbour of his though we managed to wrestle them onto his trailer.

It wasn't exactly the usual lovely beach location that I mill at, but it was not bad. A beautiful day, first time out for the 2015/2016 milling season. I should be milling at the beach shortly.

Probably something like that. Even trying to lift one end was well beyond where I dared to push my fragile back!

Latest posts

Back