Douglas Fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just pulled the meat off. It marinaded for 4-hrs,then slow cooked out on an open grill old school w/homemade charcoal and and my own wood. How rewarding. As soon as it gets done resting we are gonna tear into it. Cant wait. Almond sounds like it might be good wood to smoke w/. I think i jacked this thread sorry. :biggrin:

If you get out this way I'll send some almond home with you.

If you get out this way I'll send some almond home with you.

I plan on gettin' out that way this fall. I would like that, thanks sir. We harvested 3 big bears last season,maybe i will trade you for some home-made country sausage. My kids wont eat pork sausage anymore. And they devoured that bear meat tonight. A guest said it was the best beef roast they had ever ate, my kids started to giggle and told him it was black bear. He had seconds. IMHO they taste like what they eat,we don't shoot garbage bears, we hunt fair chase in berry patches and apple trees. And there ain't nothin' worse than a spring bear for eatin'{lactic acid layed up from sleepin' all winter}IMO. And thy tend to love gut piles, too. A wild animal is better for ya than anything that comes from the store. It's all about how you care for the animal after they are down {that's the easy part}Spotted owl and bald eagle are better though:msp_rolleyes:

DF is decent and easy to put up. Being a conifer it is better per pound on a BTU basis than hardwoods. DF branches burn really nice, hot and long.

I like me a bit of filbert wood. When I lived by a filbert orchard I used to put up a couple cords of it a year, all of it small so no splitting, but big enough to burn a long time.

Mr. HE:cool:

DF is decent and easy to put up. Being a conifer it is better per pound on a BTU basis than hardwoods. DF branches burn really nice, hot and long.

I like me a bit of filbert wood. When I lived by a filbert orchard I used to put up a couple cords of it a year, all of it small so no splitting, but big enough to burn a long time.

Mr. HE:cool:

"Being a conifer it is better per pound on a BTU basis than hardwoods." ??

BTU depend on the cured weight of the wood, not the species AFAIK. Thus a pound of balsa will put out approximaty the same BTU as a pound of Red Oak, Doug Fir, Black Locust, Willow, etc.

Harry K

You bern what ya got, where ya live.

Some has better features than others (smell, burn time, etc); although I've never frozen to death burning even crappy Ol Cottonwood and Spruce.

I'll quote Ron Martin, the old logger I get the pleasure of working with every now and then.

"My stove doesn't care what kind of wood ya throw in it." :msp_wink:

You bern what ya got, where ya live.

Some has better features than others (smell, burn time, etc); although I've never frozen to death burning even crappy Ol Cottonwood and Spruce.

I'll quote Ron Martin, the old logger I get the pleasure of working with every now and then.

"My stove doesn't care what kind of wood ya throw in it." :msp_wink:

Yup, and my stove doesn't care if it isn't all the same size, stacked in a beautiful symmetrical artistic method, or cut straight. :msp_biggrin:
That's a good thing for me.

Alder isn't a weed anymore. Alder is "The Poorman's Cherry." I will be burning DF, Alder, maple and hemlock next year. That's what grows here.

Wood Eye?

When I lived in the GCV, almond was the ONLY wood to have, burns long and hot, leaves a good bed of coals, better than oak. To make it even better, they plant it in large orchards. Now that's a renewable resource!

On the subject of smoking, the smoke from almond is particularly acrid, not recommended for flavoring meats.

Now that I'm in the mountains, Doug Fir is high on the list of preferred fuels, just below black oak, and more readily available.

For barbecuing, I recently discovered that Doug Fir BARK, of which I have a large pile, makes a hot, long lasting bed of coals. Waste into fuel, too cool!

View attachment 298684

No more briquettes for me.:rock:

Is hands down THE best firewood, any other wood just wishes:rock:

Hmmmmm........
I don't believe I'd go that far... but...
I have a planted stand (wind break) of Douglas Fir around my place. A few years ago I had no firewood put up and was cutting dead (whatever) all winter to keep the fire box going. A large fallen DF (branches held the trunk off the ground) was close and easy, so on recommendation from some of you western boys I gave it a shot. I will say I was mildly impressed; the heat and length of burn time was much better than I thought it would be... or should be.

I won't agree with "hands down THE best", but I'd take it before I'd take soft maple, cottonwood, bass wood, willow and the like.

"Being a conifer it is better per pound on a BTU basis than hardwoods." ??

BTU depend on the cured weight of the wood, not the species AFAIK. Thus a pound of balsa will put out approximaty the same BTU as a pound of Red Oak, Doug Fir, Black Locust, Willow, etc.

Harry K

Heat output per pound does in fact vary somewhat by species. The main component of wood is cellulose, which produces the same heat per pound for all species. But wood also contains lignin (a polymer that provides structural integrity) and "extractives" such as resins. Lignin and resins produce more heat per pound than cellulose, and the lignin and resin content tends to be higher for conifers than for hardwoods. As a result the heat output per pound is slightly higher for Douglas-fir than for oak. Of course Doug fir has a much lower density, so a cord of oak contains significantly more heat than a cord of Doug fir, but on a per-pound basis Doug fir is a tad better. That said, I much prefer oak. Oak produces more heat per cord, and has better coaling properties. And of course there are other hardwoods that are even better than oak.

I love living in the Pacific Northwest, but the quality of (readily available) firewood is better elsewhere.

Doug

Heat output per pound does in fact vary somewhat by species. The main component of wood is cellulose, which produces the same heat per pound for all species. But wood also contains lignin (a polymer that provides structural integrity) and "extractives" such as resins. Lignin and resins produce more heat per pound than cellulose, and the lignin and resin content tends to be higher for conifers than for hardwoods. As a result the heat output per pound is slightly higher for Douglas-fir than for oak. Of course Doug fir has a much lower density, so a cord of oak contains significantly more heat than a cord of Doug fir, but on a per-pound basis Doug fir is a tad better. That said, I much prefer oak. Oak produces more heat per cord, and has better coaling properties. And of course there are other hardwoods that are even better than oak.

I love living in the Pacific Northwest, but the quality of (readily available) firewood is better elsewhere.

Doug

You need to have friends who own a chunk of timberland and log it once in a while and also have blowdowns and snags available. Plus, I cut a few green dougies down to thin part of their woods and get to take it home.
View attachment 298723

You need to have friends who own a chunk of timberland and log it once in a while and also have blowdowns and snags available. Plus, I cut a few green dougies down to thin part of their woods and get to take it home.
View attachment 298723

I have access to more firewood than I could possibly use. Most of it is Doug fir, and most of it is within 3 miles of my home. The problem is not availability of firewood. It's just that the quality does not match what is available in eastern or midwestern hardwood forests. The only really good hardwood around here is apple, and it is not readily available (as I have to drive too far to make it worthwhile). On the west side there is madrone (arbutus), but it is also not readily available.

Doug

Doug

Corect and that is why I put that "approximately" in there.

Out here in the Palouse I heated for over 30 years with straight Willow as there just was nothing else available for same cose per BTU. I I wanted any fir, Tamarack or the like it was a 100 mile round trip or having to buy log loads. Willow? all I wanted within a few miles of the house. I am working now on completing a 4 cord Willow order for a customer who loves it.

The Locust Borer moved in about 20 years ago and I have been harvesting Black Locust ever since. It's a whole new world burning quality hardwood :).

Harry K

Back