Down to the wire...What to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aandabooks

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok, I've been in the market for a new saw for some time. Haven't bought one yet because I've been waiting to get past Christmas to free up some money. I have 3 kids and wife. Christmas time is not cheap. Anyway.....

I've done the research, read a ton of threads and I've narrowed it down to three saws.

1. Husqvarna 359-One of the online sellers is shutting down sales at the first of the year. Can buy for $449 w/24" bar & 2 chains. Pick up a 18" bar later for majority of use. That price is with free shipping and no sales tax.

2. Stihl MS390-Go to dealer and pay full MSRP with no extras in all likelihood. With sales tax right near $500. Would buy this in same 24" configuration as the Husqvarna.

3. Stihl MS280-Would buy with 18" b&c and with sales tax be right near $455.

So what would you all do. Firewood saw, 10 cords or less per year. Two 16" backup saws. Poulan & Craftsman. I want the 24" bar for about 5% of the time and the other 95% it will be wearing the 18". That is the usage.

Do I buy the Husky while I still can or start looking for a Stihl dealer I want to do business with? Nearest Husky dealer is 40+ miles and his price is nowhere near online. I've got 7-8 Stihl dealers in that amount of travel.

Matt

clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Go Stihl, see if there are any decent used saws at thier shops, like a 460 or something. 390 ain't nothing to write home about, used a customers once. But it will do.

Uwharrie

Uwharrie

ArboristSite Operative
I'd recommend a Dolmar PS-6400 because of the 24" bar. It has 4.8 hp with a magnesium crankcase.

If you would limit the bar to a 20", I would pick a Dolmar PS-5100S but of your choices maybe the 359, but the small mount bar plate on the 359 with a 24" bar I'm not so crazy about. Only 3.9 hp.

If you must buy one of the three you mentioned and must have a 24" bar I would choose the 390 Stihl because of it's 4.4 hp. You need power with a 24" bar.

aandabooks

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
clearance,

I've called a few Stihl dealers around and haven't found anything good used yet. Not real wild about buying a used saw right now anyway.

Cut4Fun,

I've been in contact with him about the 359. Have been waiting for pics. He just started another thread tonight with pics in it.

Uwharrie,

What do you charge for shipping on the 6400 to 61560. PM me if you don't want to advertise it. Been on your site recently and noticed that I can't check the shipping because there is not shopping cart button. I'll be placing an order with you for some chains in a bit.

Matt

Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
I would have to say the 390 is perfect for you. I had an 029 when I was doing the same thing(10 cords) and it was great. Shop around and twist some arms and I think you will find one with a 24" bar and chain for under 500. I assure you that saw will last you 100 years doing 10 cords a year if you use fresh gas, keep the air filter clean, your chains sharp, and dont lend it.

Ray Bennett

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Wouldn't modding the muffler kill the warranty in the first year? Or just get new muffler and mod that one?

Matt

It probally would, However if you do it right the saw will last longer. If it wories you too much wait till the warenty is over and then do it. Or if you want do it now, I have an extra muffler or 2 that will fit that saw that I can send you if bad luck comes your way.

If you are using an 18 inch bar most of the time you will have plenty of power. The 24 will slow ya a little bit but for 5 % of the time you will be fine. My 029 came with a 24 inch bar and I used it a lot with no problem, I did notice it slowed the saw a little.

Latest posts