New saw advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to run one saw…066 flat top, red eye….for many years. I had bars from 24 to 42”. I got older…bought an 026 for limbing…was ‘ok’. Then I got. 346xp and shipped it to Dozer Dan. I became a 2-saw wood cutter :p
now I just collect saws but mainly use the same DD 346 and my MM 500i For firewood cutting and falling.
the others get pulled out for fun every now and then or as backup.
The other piece of the video that nobody seems to be talking about is that with the 880, he let off the throttle and coasted through the last 1/4 of the cut. I didn't really pay attention to how he ran the 500, but the content of the video itself is garbage because, as you and others have essentially pointed out, there was absolutely zero attempt made to run the saws in a similar configuration or fashion while comparing them. It really gets under my skin when someone puts out such poor quality content.

Hey All, thought I’d do another quick update here. It’s nice when threads have some updates and pics to see what or how it’s being used. Real mild winter, hardly any snow at all to speak of, figured I’d get at some fire wood.

If you’re like me working with a pickup and tractor, and just want a nice saw for the farm, ranch, camp, homestead, out on the trails and carry with you, etc etc….. This is 261 is working out nicely. No complaints. I don’t need anything bigger at all.

I’ve been hauling it around on the back of an ATV, pickup, you name it. Always fires up. Lots of power for this type of work. 18” bar still works good for me. I’d recommend it all day long. I’ll rebuild my husky 55 someday for a back up, and call it a day.

Thanks again for the help guys, The Jolly Logger - much appreciated.

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

Hey All, thought I’d do another quick update here. It’s nice when threads have some updates and pics to see what or how it’s being used. Real mild winter, hardly any snow at all to speak of, figured I’d get at some fire wood.

If you’re like me working with a pickup and tractor, and just want a nice saw for the farm, ranch, camp, homestead, out on the trails and carry with you, etc etc….. This is 261 is working out nicely. No complaints. I don’t need anything bigger at all.

I’ve been hauling it around on the back of an ATV, pickup, you name it. Always fires up. Lots of power for this type of work. 18” bar still works good for me. I’d recommend it all day long. I’ll rebuild my husky 55 someday for a back up, and call it a day.

Thanks again for the help guys, The Jolly Logger - much appreciated.

View attachment 1149222

View attachment 1149224

View attachment 1149215
Im glad youre happy with it. I always considered the 261 and the 346 the best compromise saws out there, the Goldilocks saws if you will. With a sharp chain and good technique, they will do an amazing amount of work, beyond what most people would expect.

As a footnote, I helped a buddy cut up a couple downed cottonwoods a couple weeks ago. He had a brand new 362 with a 20" bar, I just had an old 250 with a 16. I spent 5 minutes touching up the chain, and then proceeded to absolutely smoke him. After I got my tree bucked and limbed, I went over to check on him, we sharpened his brand new chain that had already hit the dirt a time or two, and then had a little seminar on the rest of the tree.
I guess my point is at the end of the day, a saw is just a motor that spins a chain. As long as it starts and runs, the rest is chain and technique. I love my $500.00 McDermott pool cue, but if you beat me at the bar, Im not gonna blame the table or the bar stick, lol.

Compared to the MS400, I think the 362 better fits your use case and size needs rather than jumping all the way to a 70cc pro beast. The 362 has great power-to-weight ratio to muscle through hardwoods while not being overly bulky

Compared to the MS400, I think the 362 better fits your use case and size needs rather than jumping all the way to a 70cc pro beast. The 362 has great power-to-weight ratio to muscle through hardwoods while not being overly bulky
they are the same size and within a few ounces of each other in weight. Biggest didderanxe is a few more $ for the 400 and it will take the 362 lunch money every day of the week. The 362 is a pointless saw since the 400 came out.

Thanks. This saw is working good for me. No complaints.

I bucked this up this morning in about 3.5 hrs. Couple 18”. There were a few coffee breaks..
IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg

Latest posts

Back