Drive link counts ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palbin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello!

I wonder about drive link counts for chain saws: Specifically that they
can vary just a little (one drive link or so) between different bars of
same claimed length for a given saw ... .

For example, I was planning to use an Oregon 28 inch Laser Tip solid
3/8 bar for 92 drive links and prepared some 92 drive link chains for
it, but then I ended up with another Oregon 28 inch nose wheel sort
of 3/8 bar for 93 drive links: Can I still use my 92 drive links chains
as long as I can fit them to the saw properly? (I guess so, but why
don't ask when there must be knowledgeable people around :) .)

Similarly, I have an Oregon 16 inch Laser Tip solid 3/8 bar on which
it is written that it is for 59 drive links but I would like to run a 60
drive link chain on it instead: Is that OK as long as I can tension the
chain sufficiently?

Thanks, best palbin

If you can get the 92 link chain on the bar that supposed to use a 93 & it doesn`t foul the sprocket,& the 60 link chain you can adjust with out running out tension on the adjust screw, you are good to go.With the extra link as the chain stretches you may run out of adjustment so maybe have to remove 1 link if this happens before the chain needs replacing

If it fits and can be adjusted properly, you are good to go!

Btw; Drive sprocket size is a factor that may change the number of dl that fits.

If you have a new 60 link chain and you are putting it on a 59 link bar, I would assume you will run out of bar adjustment. Like Sawtroll said, I don't know what drive sprocket you have. You can buy repair links and shorten it. They are called presets and side straps. The presets have the rivets and you can usually reuse the side strap that you punch out. The repair links can be specific to the brand, model and size of chain. A Granberg break-n-mend is nice to spin the rivets for a low cost solution. Are you aware of the differences in gauge of chains such as .050, .058 and .063?

If you have a new 60 link chain and you are putting it on a 59 link bar, I would assume you will run out of bar adjustment. Like Sawtroll said, I don't know what drive sprocket you have. You can buy repair links and shorten it. They are called presets and side straps. The presets have the rivets and you can usually reuse the side strap that you punch out. The repair links can be specific to the brand, model and size of chain. A Granberg break-n-mend is nice to spin the rivets for a low cost solution. Are you aware of the differences in gauge of chains such as .050, .058 and .063?

Yes - what I do not like with the 59 DL-chains (which I make myself)
is 1) that I have to throw away one cutting-link for each of them and
2) that I get a "cutting-link-free hole" in the chain, while on a 60 DL-
chain these "disadvantages" are not present ... .

Last edited:

Does it really make any difference on a 16 inch bar?

Yes, but it won't really matter in practical cutting - it just doesn't look right.

No odd number dl count chains look great.

Last edited:

+1

Yes - what I do not like with the 59 DL-chains. . is 1 . . that I have to throw away one cutting-link . . .

You can only have a 'perfect' cutter sequence if then number of links in your loop is divisible by 4 (for 'full comp' chains).

Otherwise, you end up with spaces, or 2 Right cutters in a row, or 2 Left cutters, etc. You may not realize how common this is until you sharpen lots of different chains for different saws. They run fine. If you are spinning your own chains from a reel, you get to choose which of these 'odd' sequences you want.

Philbert

Will a 50 link chain work on a saw that originally came with a 52 link chain?

I purchased an Echo CS-310 with 14-inch bar for cutting small stuff without lugging around a bigger saw. The CS-310 came with a low-kickback chain that I immediately discarded and replaced with a full chisel. The original low-kickback chain had 52 links. The dealer sold me a full chisel Stihl Oilomatic 63 PM 52 to replace it; i.e. it has the same 52 links. I just purchased a second chisel chain from the same dealer for the same saw. But after I got home, I noticed the box read 63 PM 50. Everything else is exactly the same: the 14" bar fit, the 3/8 pitch, the .050 gauge. I haven't opened box with the new 50 link chain yet. Is it advisable to exchange the chain for a 52-linker, or everything else being equal, will the 50-link chain work just as well on this saw?

Take the saw and chain to the dealer that sold it to you and have him put it on. If it fits your good to go if not he should change it out no charge.

Btw; Drive sprocket size is a factor that may change the number of dl that fits.

I have resorted to sliding on the bar/chain and sprocket/clutch drum at the same time to run a 'short' chain. Like one driver.

Drill press also works to add an adjuster hole.

Not very handy but, it works.

Treefirtwo: Just take it back for exchange.

I purchased an Echo CS-310 with 14-inch bar for cutting small stuff without lugging around a bigger saw. The CS-310 came with a low-kickback chain that I immediately discarded and replaced with a full chisel. The original low-kickback chain had 52 links. The dealer sold me a full chisel Stihl Oilomatic 63 PM 52 to replace it; i.e. it has the same 52 links. I just purchased a second chisel chain from the same dealer for the same saw. But after I got home, I noticed the box read 63 PM 50. Everything else is exactly the same: the 14" bar fit, the 3/8 pitch, the .050 gauge. I haven't opened box with the new 50 link chain yet. Is it advisable to exchange the chain for a 52-linker, or everything else being equal, will the 50-link chain work just as well on this saw?

That is about 3/8" low-profile bars and chain, that always are shorter than "called". Obviously you got a Stihl length 14"chain, but you really needed a "Husky" length 14" one for your Echo.

Did you tell the dealer what saw it was for the second time?

That is about 3/8" low-profile bars and chain, that always are shorter than "called". Obviously you got a Stihl length 14"chain, but you really needed a "Husky" length 14" one for your Echo.

Did you tell the dealer what saw it was for the second time?

Yes I did, and I even showed him the exact dupe hanging on their wall. It was a new employee, rather surly, He looked at the new Echo displayed on a wall then handed me new chain. The regular staff of nice people that I've known for years were busy doing other things. When I asked the new guy if he could tweak the lo and hi on my Husky 375xp an eighth to quarter turn richer, since it's losing power and almost dies when accelerating, he took it in the back, started it up, returned and said it was fine as is. I'd do it myself, except a regular screw driver doesn't fit anymore and the dealer wouldn't sell or even let me borrow the appropriate adjusting tool because he'd risk a $20,000 fine if he did.
How do you tell the bosses that their new employee has an attitude problem without being nasty about it?

I have heard of that threath to the dealers before, and it is one of the perversions of the EPA. I have never heard of it actually being enforced though?

Latest posts

Back