Drive links getting peened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I got my hands on an old 372 and have been trying to get it in working order. I finally got the bar and chain on and ran it for a bit and tried to cut with it. I went to check the chain tension again and both it and the bar where hot, but plenty of oil. I took off the chain and could most of the drive links looked like they had been slightly hit with a hammer, making them just a bit wider, causing lots of friction. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I am guessing something wrong regarding the sprocket?

I know I have the right pitch.

Bar is brand new.

As has been said, your old sprocket has been worn out by an old chain.

The angle of attack of the teeth on the rim does not match the profile of the drag links on your chain.

May as well use what sprocket and chain you have and let them get used to each other?

May as well use what sprocket and chain you have and let them get used to each other?
A 7 pin standard rim will let the drive links eat up the splines on the clutch when the rim is worn that bad.My advise is to pull the rim and see if this is happening instead of just continuing on.
In the end its his stuff and he can do as he wants.

Thanks for the advice, is it at all possible the sprocket was on backwards? Are rims directional?

Thanks for the advice, is it at all possible the sprocket was on backwards? Are rims directional?
no, not unless its a pin type and one side is thicker than the other. All the original and replacement oregon, GB etc. are reversable. Not sure it would be good to flip a worn one tho.

Latest posts

Back