Dropped into high tension

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know I know it's not funny. I looked around, checked everything. I didn't feel like climbing and limbing it first though... It was heavy on the southeast side of the tree, I wanted it to fall Northwest. I cut a biggggg notch, used the wedge and kept working it. Eventually, it let go and a badddd thing happened... It fell right where I didn't want it to. I thought it'd clear the lines, but it didn't. In the video you can hear the buzzing from the arcing... This is actually pretty funny. Althoughhhhhhhhh, I was VERY lucky the lines didn't come down and leave a live lead on the ground. This was a near miss for sure. Next time I will climb it and do it the right way. :cheers: :givebeer:

(THIS IS A DON'T DO OR TAKE SHORTCUT OR ELSE VIDEO!!!!)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8844558059294332074

Last edited:
"Didnt feel like climbing it??"
Congrats, you just made the definition of cowboy. If this is the standard of your work, you might get safer work in Iraq. We all make mistakes, but that was something I would expect from a homeowner with a wild thing.

Seriously.

My wife just saw the movie and asked why you didnt climb it. I hope you continue to work by yourself because at that rate your going to kill someone one day.

You were lucky THIS time

I do have the respect the fact you had to balls to post the video, so I just have to ask why you didnt climb it, why? SE heavy lean means thats where the tree wants to go, you have to have twice the persuasion to get it to do otherwise. A tirfer or a side set guideline would have avoided this.

Mate at the very least I hope you learned something from this. Please!

Last edited:
That had to be one of the most dangerous 'don't do this' method of treework I have ever seen. Take some classes, read some books, ask some questions, and please put the saws away before someone gets killed. Glad no one was hurt, but that was scary and definitly NOT funny.

Not

This was of a DO NOT DO!!!! Please take it that way when you watch it... God knows this isn't the first dumb thing, or the last, I will do in my life... :dizzy:

That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

I guarantee that movie wouldn't have been "rated PG" had someone gotten fried or squashed, or better yet, fried then squashed and then maybe fried again just to make sure the job gets done right.

This isn't a cartoon...you don't get to get up and try again when ACME's arborist certification in a pill doesn't pan out, Wiley.

Alright, you're human and I've hacked on you long enough, glad you're ok.

Now pull yourself together, man!

Nice

That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

I guarantee that movie wouldn't have been "rated PG" had someone gotten fried or squashed, or better yet, fried then squashed and then maybe fried again just to make sure the job gets done right.

This isn't a cartoon...you don't get to get up and try again when ACME's arborist certification in a pill doesn't pan out, Wiley.

Alright, you're human and I've hacked on you long enough, glad you're ok.

Now pull yourself together, man!

I like your avatar Termite dude. :cheers:

the wifey's retort...

It made a cool sound and emitted a pretty blue color that was very prominent in the light of day...i was ignorant in the fact that my life was in danger...(maybe it was his idea of getting rid of his first wife! heehee!)

Please consider another line of work.

Your actions can and will affect the entire industry and we already have enough negative working against us.

I hope you are happy to be alive, you should be.

typical DIY, I got a call about 1-2 weeks ago woman on the phone crying & saying they had an emergency, well a good friend of theirs came over with his 1976 simon crane truck, leaky hydraulics, etc... puts the 35ft stick in the air, climbs an ext. ladder chains the tree to the crane attachment, notches & backcuts this 40-50ft butternut with a lean over house.

His crane cant budge it & with drift in the hyd. lines the tree is making a gradual decent toward center of the house. Now I get the call at 8:30 pm its dark & I call the team up, we arrive at 10:30pm & proceed to rig like mad men to try to save the house, crane operator was drinking a beer when we got there, The HOME OWNER was irate!!! throwing ball, many floodlights, 2 1/2" ropes, 1 5/8" rope, 2 rope cum-a-longs,& a snatch block later, saved the house.

I was paid well!!! the crane operator is an idiot but did get me future work with an airport, Now get this!! he has an escavation co. & was doing this tree for free because he wanted the wood for the co.`s central boiler!!!

I watch videos like this & just cant believe when people dont know their outta thier league!! & a evergreen to boot, easy climb to atleast put a rope in!! glad your OK!! stay away from tree work!!!

LXT............

typical DIY, I got a call about 1-2 weeks ago woman on the phone crying & saying they had an emergency, well a good friend of theirs came over with his 1976 simon crane truck, leaky hydraulics, etc... puts the 35ft stick in the air, climbs an ext. ladder chains the tree to the crane attachment, notches & backcuts this 40-50ft butternut with a lean over house.

His crane cant budge it & with drift in the hyd. lines the tree is making a gradual decent toward center of the house. Now I get the call at 8:30 pm its dark & I call the team up, we arrive at 10:30pm & proceed to rig like mad men to try to save the house, crane operator was drinking a beer when we got there, The HOME OWNER was irate!!! throwing ball, many floodlights, 2 1/2" ropes, 1 5/8" rope, 2 rope cum-a-longs,& a snatch block later, saved the house.

I was paid well!!! the crane operator is an idiot but did get me future work with an airport, Now get this!! he has an escavation co. & was doing this tree for free because he wanted the wood for the co.`s central boiler!!!

I watch videos like this & just cant believe when people dont know their outta thier league!! & a evergreen to boot, easy climb to atleast put a rope in!! glad your OK!! stay away from tree work!!!

LXT............

Unreal..........did you get more work from some more of his idiot moves or him asking for help ???

Here we go...

What I will say is this. If nothing like this has EVER happened to anyone, you probably haven't cut enough trees. Yes, more precautions should've been taken, on the same hand, how many trees has ANYONE cut in here that have fallen the wrong direction. If they haven't, you haven't cut enough. I've been in the woods for nearing 25yrs now, not felling, but on the same hand, this wasn't expected. I did think the tree would clear the line if it would have fallen backwards, which it did. The actual tree never touched the line, it was merely a branch, and by branch, I mean something around 1/2 inch I'd guess, the sound was an arc. STOP WITH THE BASHING!!! I didn't post it to hear petty comments from people about how horrible I am, or what a d1psh1t I am. I posted it as informative, preventative, "if your thinking about doing something halfa5sed, take the time to do it right, or else." Save your comments and learn something. Now, take this video for all you guys that have companies, show it to your guys on how important safety is and taking the time to do things right, and run with it... Back to the chainsaw gallery eh? :cheers:

What I will say is this. If nothing like this has EVER happened to anyone, you probably haven't cut enough trees. Yes, more precautions should've been taken, on the same hand, how many trees has ANYONE cut in here that have fallen the wrong direction. If they haven't, you haven't cut enough. I've been in the woods for nearing 25yrs now, not felling, but on the same hand, this wasn't expected... STOP WITH THE BASHING!!! I didn't post it to hear petty comments from people about how horrible I am, or what a d1psh1t I am. I posted it as informative, preventative, "if your thinking about doing something halfa5sed, take the time to do it right, or else." Save your comments and learn something. Now, take this video for all you guys that have companies, show it to your guys on how important safety is and taking the time to do things right, and run with it... Back to the chainsaw gallery eh? :cheers:

former home owner here... who doesn't own a chain saw... HOWEVER, even a simple woman like myself was aghast at your approach to the tree... i have learned enough from the people here (many who you claim are bashing you) that to have your honey bun that close with the camera is a big OOPS since she was within range of the tree; you weren't wearing any PPE (another OOPS!); as i could hear the tree making creaking noises, you start removing your clothing, instead of watching where the tree was headed (coulda been on your head); and you were simply out of your league. Nothing entertaining about it-- unless you enjoy observing the Darwin Effect. it saddens me that you thought of your video as instructional... when even i saw it as a sad ploy of "Hey, y'all, watch this!!!"

from what i have gathered from the reputable, trained, and knowledgable folks here, yes, trees can fall in places other then planned-- but i didn't see any planning in your description or video. it was simply a dangerous amateur (which i would be if i attempted to take down even a branch) assuming that with a wish and a prayer, the tree would be obedient and fall where the un-informed would assume it would fall.

and i really don't think the folks are bashing you as much as trying to save your sorry a$$ life and encourage you to not quit your day job... and don't risk your lady love's life either.

Back