Dropping a Willow in NY (healthy/no rot or dead wood)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My father wants me to take down a 50-60 ft willow in his back yard about 20ft from his garage with an apartment over top said garage. About 1ft off the ground it splits into two mains. Doesn't seem like too tough of a job but i'd like to get some professional advice (hence the Pro forum).

Picture below was just taken tonight, sorry almost dark out, i will take a bunch more in the morning. This is the roughly facing the North side of the tree, 90 degrees to the right of me taking this pic, about 20+/- ft away is the structure, nothing in any other direction except another willow of same size directly behind me in the pic (same height/size tree). Is this something someone would consider just dropping, or a climb, cut & chuck deal... If i had my choice i'd climb it about halfway and take it down entirely in about 8-10 cuts, maybe less.

I thought maybe taking out the left side main at the split first which will easily fall in the exact opposite of the structure leaving the other main with no lean at all still standing. That main has a semi-large limb about 8-10' up that i can easily zip off and drop, then maybe clean up the stump, face-cut, wedge & drop it.

Would anyone strap these 2 leads together and try to drop all at once? (i wouldn't, am i right?)

Anything i should know about willow trees prior? Prone to chairing etc?

Quote for a Pro to drop this, no clean-up, just drop & go? (i know chitty picture and can't assess with just this pic but will take more tomorrow from all different angles and add to this post).

I've got all the time in the world to get this done and will go about it the safest way possible, and if i can't, then obviously someone else will do it. But just after giving it a quick look tonight i feel pretty confident i can figure out a couple ways of taking it down. I'd love to climb it, just haven't gotten myself a new saddle yet but this may be my excuse for gettin one.

Any constructive input/ideas would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks, ~Moose

IMG_0774.jpg

Nevermind, forgot to take pics prior. Dropped both mains in the clear. Mods can delete if they wish.

Thanks anyway

Latest posts

Back