DRT . .dDRT??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilGillis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone please explain what dDRT is? I think dynamic double rope. I see it referenced a lot but unsure the difference between it and DRT.
Phil

Hi Phil - just hit the Search Forum at the top of the screen (located underneath Product Reviews) and type DRT and DdRT where it says keywords.

To elaborate on treesmith's answer:

*Think about DdRT about a rope going through a pulley...both ends move. You are tied to one of those ends. Your friction hitch runs on the other side of the rope.

*DRT is two ropes (or it can be one rope over the top of a limb...with the middle of the rope staying there the whole time) neither of which move as you climb. Sorta like SRT with two ropes. This is used most often in rappelling for caving and rock climbing.

SRT= 1 stationary/static line 1:1
DRT= 2 stationary/static lines 2x 1:1
DbRT= 1 doubled/dynamic line 2:1

DbRT is "traditional" arborist Hitch climbing. One rope over a branch, one end is anchored to the harness and the other runs through a friction Hitch.

Peace, K.

Hold on . .I think I confused myself again . . this is over the limb, left side is the end of the rope from throwing over, anchor knot to harness, right side friction hitch from eye to eye , micro pulley and goes to harness. what is this- DRT of DdRT???? :)
And because I am using an eye to eye, this is technically split tail huh?

rope.jpg

If the helps you remember:
Using one strand of 1 rope is single rope (SRT)
Using one rope up and over the anchor (you could also say doubled over) is DdRT.
Using 2 separate ropes is Double Rope (it is not one rope doubled over**...but 2 ropes) is DRT.

Or this is even easier: tree climbers rarely use DRT, so it is basically always DdRT (not that everybody uses correct terminology...but that doesn't chance what is).

**Yes...to add to the confusion you could use one rope doubled over for DRT...but you are acting as if they are two separate ropes...the two strands are being used as independent of each other as if they were 2 separate ropes. DdDT you are most certainly using one rope doubled over and the two sides are obligated to work together.).

Yep that is DBRT alright. Is that your current climbing system? If so your eye to eye friction chord gives you heaps of great friction Hitch options that will perform much better than the one you are using... In my opinion of course :)

My favorite is the VT (Valdotian Tresse) when "dialed in" it is a pleasure to work with. Tends well with a pulley, does not tighten up as bad as any other knot, and descent speeds can be controlled by one finger. The down side is that it takes some practice to tie right and if not tied well it will not grab consistently (dangerous)... So go low and slow for a while.

Thanks. Not sure what it in pic but been using a distel as my prusik would always get too tight to ascend. I hope I'm tying distel correctly. Seems to work great but been wanting to try vt. I wanted also to try blakes but the rest I took hitch is working great. Think I'm ready to add in a foot ascender.

Definitely go to the VT, IMO no other knot comes close. What climbing line are you on? My recommendation is the cmi foot ascender, it is bomb proof and it's teeth are not too aggressive so you can use it on 1/2 inch 16 strand :)

Definitely go to the VT, IMO no other knot comes close. What climbing line are you on? My recommendation is the cmi foot ascender, it is bomb proof and it's teeth are not too aggressive so you can use it on 1/2 inch 16 strand :)

I will. I'm using this 1/2" arbor flex that came with a kit from wespur. I will check out vt. Thanks for the info and advice!

Could I chime in here?
Would both carabiners clip into both rings on the harness?
Or would you separate the carabiners, one clipped into the left ring, the other into the right?

Most people clip onto the bridge or bridge ring. I think you may be referring to the side D-rings? Usually those are used for flip lines and lanyards.

Thanks for the reply
No, I'm clipped into the bridge, it just seems "crowded"
Could I add an extra carabiner to the hitch to offset them?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back