Dry Cherry has a lot of slivers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last week a guy gave me a bunch of VERY DRY Cherry that was all cut and split. My girlfriend and I have got more slivers from that than any other wood I've ever burned. For as dry as it is I figured it would light right up but not this stuff. Sure gives off nice heat and last pretty long too. Now I need to go pick some more slivers out of my fingers. Guess I will star wearing gloves till it's all gone.
Is Cherry that way when it's green?

I just split and stacked a cord of green, black cherry, it's a little stringy but did not notice it being creating more slivers then any other fruit wood. I will have to check it out once it's seasoned.

I get more little hand injuries filling the stove than working up the wood. Have about ten pair of gloves, they're like reading glasses. When you need them you can never find a pair. Mark , did you say your girlfriend gets slivers? I'm impressed, my wife has to be pretty cold to handle wood. She says that's MY job....Lanny

Last edited:
I get more little hand injuries filling the stove than working up the wood. Have about ten pair of gloves, they're like reading glasses. When you need them you can never find a pair. Mark , did you say your girlfriend gets slivers? I'm impressed, my wife has to be pretty cold to handle wood. She says that's MY job....Lanny

My girlfriend loads the stove about as much as me, she's into saving $ on gas too.

I fitted a cherry door a while ago, and can attest that you have to be pretty carefull whilst chiseling out the hinges cos its bad stuff for splitting.

I was OK and always have sharp tools but cherry does split quite a lot.

I burned almost a cord of it this past March and didn't notice really any more slivers than other species. I have the hardest time with elm, I try to always wear gloves for that.

slivers here as well , not so much with oak , elm and fir just the cherry , I usually get them in my arms , gloves are worn at all times when handling firewood , it's nice to be able to reach into the fire and move stuff around when reloading , also a roll of masking tape is handy for removing them little buggers

Back