drying out wet roots on oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 clowns mowing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a oak tree that was planted in 2003 it sits in a low area and the tree is getting too much water is there a way to get air down to the tree roots to dry them out? like using pvc pipe

If your tree is in a valley you might find it hard to drain the water. I would imagine a cystern filled with gravel might help the situation. It would be pretty expensive and you should use an air knife to excavate the soil from the downhill side of the root zone and then route PVC to the area where you want to put a deep hole for the backfill. Make sure you dig your cystern at least twice the distance of the canopy so you do not do damage to the current root system. There is information on the root zone on numerous sites.

I have attached a diagram to explain a little better.

2 clowns mowing said:
the tree is getting too much water

what are the signs/symptoms of this??? depending on the oak, it may be fine for it... a study i worked on here in TN (buddies thesis project) said bottom land oak trees have significantly better growth when soils are flooded during part of the year.

Latest posts

Back