Drying Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which is better and why for drying wood? stacking in cords or just throwing it on a pile? thanx dwinch53

I am a fan of stacked neatly in rows no wider than 2 so at least on side of the wood is exposed...

Stacking is the best but I am so sick of it that I just pile it now. I am always 2 yrs ahead so it dries fine in that amount of time.:cheers:

I have a pitch pile as well as a stack pile. Wood gets cut and pitched when I get home from the weekend escapades... then stacked during the week while I have a few hours

Stacking but it largely depends on how much your doing. When I cut and split 5 cords a year for personal use I stacked immediately after splitting. I'm now selling wood and doing about 30 cords by myself. No way that's getting stacked. Seems to dry just fine if given enough time. I place pallets down on the ground and pile it up.

attachment.php

Wood dries better if its stacked on pallets. That way its off the ground and cant suck any moisture out of the ground.
I always stack my firewood on pallets and I cover it with a tarp. That way, the tarp holds the heat in and the wood cooks all summer long and is very dry when winter comes.

Wood dries better if its stacked on pallets. That way its off the ground and cant suck any moisture out of the ground.
I always stack my firewood on pallets and I cover it with a tarp. That way, the tarp holds the heat in and the wood cooks all summer long and is very dry when winter comes.

I find wood dries faster when stacked but the tarp thing keeps it damp. It almost rains under that tarp. Found out the hard way when tarping hay and it ain't no better on wood.:popcorn:

I find wood dries faster when stacked but the tarp thing keeps it damp. It almost rains under that tarp. Found out the hard way when tarping hay and it ain't no better on wood.:popcorn:
this is the way I see it also. I have a small 1 cord shed that is kept full from a stack thats covered. When that stacks gone anouther one gets covered.

Latest posts

Back