Dual Port Muffler Stihl MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostersgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just received a new after market dual port muffler for my 440. It doesn't have any spark screens. Anyone know of an easy way to install screens? There does not seem to be an easy attachment that I can see. FYI, the muffler only cost me $22 w/ free shipping. Installed nicely and appears to be adequate quality. Paint might burn off prematurely, but who cares? Anyone else order one of these Ebay mufflers? Arrived from China(?) in only 4 days!

I'd include some pictures, but it's in the garage and it's too freaking cold to go out there again tonight.

I was thinking of changing or modifying the cover on my 440, but opted just to enlarge the existing outlet. I removed the screen, used the Dremel to make the hole larger, and put the screen back in. It looks stock, but runs really strong after the retune.

Really? Nobody else has replaced their stock muffler with one of the cheap dual port knock-offs? Really???

I'm sorry, but I don't like the hot ex blasting right into my chain. That dremel job is the way I want to go! What bit to use????

I'm sorry, but I don't like the hot ex blasting right into my chain. That dremel job is the way I want to go! What bit to use????

I used a grinding stone bit. The hole started out oval but rounded nicely as the stone did its work.

Really?! Too freaking cold out? Really?!!!!
Mid to upper 60's daytime and mid to upper 30's over night is cold?
Really?

I invite you to the upper half of the county, specifically Northern MN this last week for a little COLD 101. Mid to upper 20"s over night and thats below zero, and finally made it above zero today at a scorching 7 above.

Really? Nobody else has replaced their stock muffler with one of the cheap dual port knock-offs? Really???

Its way too easy to just grind away at the stock muffler. If you are clever, the hot exhaust will be directed towards the front and upwards .......

The first one is ground away, the second one is stock (and has been running lean due to 15% ethanol)

Last edited:
Did you just open up the outlet or did you mod the internal baffle as well? I'm thinking about doing this too

You have to be very carefull to not touch the screen beneath the outlet hole with the grinder.
I matched the ports on the gasket, cylinder, and muffler.
There is no real "baffle" inside the muffler like some Stihls have (my 038 Magnum had an internal baffle, looked like swiss cheese), so its really just a port match, then the carefull hole enlargening, then re-assemble and re-tune !!

First picture is of a stock 044 with top cover off
Second picture is stock 038 internal baffle

Last edited:
You have to be very carefull to not touch the screen beneath the outlet hole with the grinder.
I matched the ports on the gasket, cylinder, and muffler.
There is no real "baffle" inside the muffler like some Stihls have (my 038 Magnum had an internal baffle, looked like swiss cheese), so its really just a port match, then the carefull hole enlargening, then re-assemble and re-tune !!

First picture is of a stock 044 with top cover off
Second picture is stock 038 internal baffle

Bend up the two tabs and remove the screen before doing the grinding. Makes the job tons easier.

"Get what you paid for"? Wow! At $22 shipped to my door it seemed hard to beat. Just asked if anyone has used them before and installed a screen in one. Grande Dog is correct that it needs a screen, but only if used off ones property, such as a national / state forest. I believe I can attach a screen with pop rivets, or perhaps find someone with a sheet metal tac welder. Here' a couple of pics of it installed. Again, it only cost $22 with shipping and replaced a fairly rusted out OEM muffler. That's what the stock cover alone costs from a dealer. I haven't tuned it yet, so we'll see if there are any real gains to be had later this week.

440dualportside_zpsa2f5285f.jpg

440dualportfront_zps1e96997b.jpg

Last edited:
Shop around a bit more, I have bought aftermarket mufflers with screens installed for a few dollars more.

Also take care with how you mount your screens (not so simple on that muffler) because screws, nuts, rivets can vibrating loose and end up costing you a P&C kit... it does happen believe me.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice and will take extra care when affixing the screens. Thanks for the input. Sure would suck to ruin this saw, especially after such an extensive, and to say the least, expensive rebuild.

Muffler update. After running the saw for around 15 minutes while flush cutting a stump, plus a couple of additional cuts, the black paint on the front of the muffler has "bubbled". Guess I'll now be spending a bit on a can of stovepipe paint. Still not a bad investment, even though I experienced no appreciable performance gain. Though it sounds great.

muffler_zps3b8e37dd.jpg

Muffler update. After running the saw for around 15 minutes while flush cutting a stump, plus a couple of additional cuts, the black paint on the front of the muffler has "bubbled". Guess I'll now be spending a bit on a can of stovepipe paint. Still not a bad investment, even though I experienced no appreciable performance gain. Though it sounds great.

Did you re-tune it after you installed the dual port muffler ?

Back