Dually for Firewood Hauling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the frame has not been extended, it probably isn't a dually. A dually will have a wider rear track than a dual wheel ton. I have never seen a dually rear axle under a factory frame of that length.

The dually is more stable under load, but the extra width is a problem in town.

The frame has not been extended, and it is a dually. I know, because I already own it (and the frame was the very first thing I checked before I bought it). So, the purpose was to get opinions on how it'll be when I get it back from the shop.

It's a 1990 F-350 Custom, Chassis Cab with a regular cab and an 11' bed. Actually, it looks like the bed has been shortened instead of lengthened as there's only two feet or so of bed past the axle, and you can see torch marks on the end of the frame at the back.

The only way to fly

handling is way, way better than a SRW. empty it will ride rough.
Loaded it will have excellent traction. Empty.... you can get inconvenienced pretty easily.

My deuce is setup the same way as your truck, the rear axle is way back on the bed. Looks funny, out of proportion. Works okay tho.
I was actually gonna move the axle until I really got to thinking about the amount of work for a little gain. Both rigs were no doubt setup to be a LONGer bed than we got. Someone's idea of a improvement is to shorten it?? :rolleyes2:

handling is way, way better than a SRW. empty it will ride rough.
Loaded it will have excellent traction. Empty.... you can get inconvenienced pretty easily.

My deuce is setup the same way as your truck, the rear axle is way back on the bed. Looks funny, out of proportion. Works okay tho.
I was actually gonna move the axle until I really got to thinking about the amount of work for a little gain. Both rigs were no doubt setup to be a LONGer bed than we got. Someone's idea of a improvement is to shorten it?? :rolleyes2:

I know! Especially if it's for firewood, the longer the bed the better! It has stake pockets on the bed and as soon as I get it back, I'm going to make three sets of side-boards for it. I'm intending on making one set that's just one 2x4x11 running down each side and then one in the back to prevent feed bags and such from sliding off. The next will be about as tall as a pickup bed, but will have no rear stakes. If I need something, I'll use my straps. The last one I'm going to make is going to be most of the height of the cab. That should allow me to load as much into the truck's bed as it can take without overflowing.

The only issue I've got is that the bed is custom made by the previous owner (an old man that didn't use his truck for a truck anymore) and it sits too low on the truck. If it's loaded too heavy, it'll sit down on the tires. So, I've got to fix that first. AND, the bed (when I got it) was held on with PALLET BANDING. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Before this truck hits the road, the bed is going to be bolted to the frame.

I think I'll love this truck for firewood, and surely for other uses around the farm. Thanks for all the input, guys! This really is a super-helpful forum.

This is how my F-350 is currently set-up.

attachment.php

The toolbox (tow hooks, recovery straps, jumper cables, etc.) being where it is reduces the bed length by a foot, but that's alright... I don't need to overload my truck anyway. She's also currently got D-rated tires on her. After they're worn down, I'm going to replace them with E-rated tires.

Last edited:
I'm curious how big this farm is that the bed of a reg p/u got wrecked hauling wood across the farm. Maybe smaller loads or a trailer? Sounds like this new truck is better suited for hauling wood on your place. A 12k winch would be helpful, 1200 won't do anything. Just don't plan on pulling or doing much in snow or mud without using chains or winch.

I'm curious how big this farm is that the bed of a reg p/u got wrecked hauling wood across the farm. Maybe smaller loads or a trailer? Sounds like this new truck is better suited for hauling wood on your place. A 12k winch would be helpful, 1200 won't do anything. Just don't plan on pulling or doing much in snow or mud without using chains or winch.

Naw, I must've worded that confusing. It never was a pick up. He purchased it as a Chassis Cab because it was so cheap and made a bed for it himself. It's going to stay on the farm for most of it's life, but it'll definitely see the road some. Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back