Dumb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
I'm getting another lifeline and decided to get it eye spliced. When attaching it to my biner, should I girth hitch it or can I just slip the biner into the eye? Reasons for either method? I'm new to using biners and eye splices so I really don't know.
(My normal method used to be tying a bowline on my steel clip leaving 3' for my hitch tail)

If you order it spliced, it should be large enough to girth hitch it. If it is, go ahead and do that because it locks down much tighter and won't move around as much. Strength loss in this scenario is not a big issue.

If you don't girth hitch it, the eye could work itself all over the biner and end up causing it to side load - something that I've seen happen very often. Now THAT is a strength issue.

Nickrosis

Or, ask them to splice a real small eye. Either that or one large enuf to girth hitch, in between size is no good, as Nick said.

What Rog said. Ask for something to girth hitch one of your snaps to, no thimble and.

If you have both ends spliced, ask them to put their warning tag on the end that will most likely milk apart and show some hourglassing. Though the shorter the cord the less likely this is to happen.

Keep in mind that you loose around 3 feet for each splice, so if you want a 20 foot lanyard with 2 splices, you buy 26 feet of rope.

Or you can get enough to tie a fishemans on it and save the 15 bucks a splice.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn

Keep in mind that you loose around 3 feet for each splice, so if you want a 20 foot lanyard with 2 splices, you buy 26 feet of rope.

I lost TEN feet for ONE splice! :mad:

Now that is a good safe burry!

On shorter splices, like a solit tail, they will remove all the core and burry the entire sheath onto it's self.

Back