dump trailer problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushinspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a dump trailer (two days before our inland hurricane) and when we picked up the trailer the battery was on the charger. Placed the battery back in the trailer and used it several days and the battery went down. It only has about a 16 gauge wire to keep it charged. Is the battery no good or do I need a heaver guage wire to keep it charged. I placed a test light on the incoming wire and I do have some power going to the battery. I did change out the trailer plug due to having a different type on the rest of the equipment. If I do need to change out the wire, what guage needs to be used???

Check your inline fuse...should be in the box near your battery and pump. Mine goes all the time.

The trailer draws a lot of power.
I can drain my battery in 2 or 3 heavy dumps (4 - 5 tons ea).

You could try using a larger deep cycle battery (not a standard car battery) or if you have the space use two batteries.

I always charge my battery with a commercial battery charger before using it.

I think I ran a 6 or maybe an 8 ga. wire to charge the battery on mine. Even at that if I'm making short hauls I have to charge the battery at night.

Andy

Has anyone tried to run a battery cable all the way back to the dump trailer?

Then at the hitch install welder disconnects so you can drop the trailer. It does have a deep cycle battery in it and I can dump around six loads before it goes dead.

Last edited:
Back